The Student Room Group

The Harry Potter Society III

Scroll to see replies

Love the books, GOF and OOTP are my favourites, I think because they're the long ones but not as serious as the last 2. There's a lot about their normal life at school which I like . The films aren't as good, but when I was about 6 I must have watched PS about 30 times :').

Anyone think they slightly ruined the end of the GOF film by making the maze so bad? In the book it was really exciting and had loads of different creatures. In the film it seemed to be just them running through it while it closed in on them :s-smilie:
Reply 1581
I went on holiday last week and took the Deathly Hallows with me, I finished it in five days, and believe me I am not a reader, and I was on holiday!

I love Harry Potter and I have a pottermore account (the chamber of secrets is out finally!)... My friends all make fun of me because of it, but its fine as I know they are fans too, and we are planning on going for a studio tour... A girl in my year went and got Hermione's wand, I was pretty jealous!
Original post by 08rbut
A girl in my year went and got Hermione's wand, I was pretty jealous!

My brother got me Harry's one for Christmas (I'm 18.) It's become my mascot for watching the films :yep:
Original post by geology.is.gneiss
don't you just want to 'langlock' some people? :biggrin:
I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve the whole series and have made a habit of reading the corresponding book to my year of education, so I read half blood prince this year and will read deathly hallows next year:smile:

Oh that sounds great, I wish I had done that, I'm through with school now, I feel so old reading the books :frown: even though I'm only one year older than you though!
Make the most of your last year at school... you'll miss it when it's over :P
I wish there was a magical university that they had to go to after hogwarts xD
It's like the end of harry potter signalled the end of my childhood, I can't help but be a bit sad when I think about harry potter because the fact it's ended means my childhood has too :frown:
I honestly think I enjoy them more now, after reading them a multitude of times, than when I was a child. They are just such a large part of my life. :smile:
Original post by manchesterunited15
Love the books, GOF and OOTP are my favourites, I think because they're the long ones but not as serious as the last 2. There's a lot about their normal life at school which I like . The films aren't as good, but when I was about 6 I must have watched PS about 30 times :').

Anyone think they slightly ruined the end of the GOF film by making the maze so bad? In the book it was really exciting and had loads of different creatures. In the film it seemed to be just them running through it while it closed in on them :s-smilie:

Yeah I was a bit disappointed with the GOF film... and with the Quidditch world cup scene, it was way too short! and no winky :frown:
I think I'll always love the books and the harry potter fandom as they were pretty special to me growing up and it was a nice community to feel part of
Original post by ConstantlyStressed
"Always."

That one word always gets me. How can 6 letters affect me in such a way?

I think James was mean, Severus and Lily would have been much sweeter- but then they'd be no Harry Potter :frown:

Also, I was re-reading the third and fourth books the other week and I realised something- I am still angry that Sirius died!
Original post by XxelliexX
Yeah I was a bit disappointed with the GOF film... and with the Quidditch world cup scene, it was way too short! and no winky :frown:

Yeah they didn't even show any quidditch :/ I guess you can't fit everything from a 600 page book into a 2 hour film, but they should have released an extended edition with another 40 minuted or something, like LOTR did :biggrin:
I was 1 when the first book came out and 11 when the last one did, so I feel like I'm just a few years too young to have been properly part of it all when growing up, like talking about what would be in the new book and going to midnight releases :/
Reply 1590
I was 3 when the first book came out, but I was 11, when they became really popular in my country so I started reading them at the age of 11. And now i can honestly say that Harry Potter=My Childhood. I grew up with this book..actually its not just a book, it a whole another world. Im not saying that it has the best literature quality, but it will always be my favorite <3
My sister is now 11, and she started the first book in June. She had finished the first five books by now and soon she will start HBP. Im so happy we share the same love for the books, and that ill not be alone in my fandom :biggrin:
I read the French translations so many times I know whole pages by heart... It's also how I learned English; I picked up the Philosopher's Stone and could guess most of the words because I knew the French translation so well! Although I don't reread them as often now (and when I do I read them in English), they're always somewhere in the house for when I need some comfort lit.
Harry Potter somehow really made me want to go to Oxford, as to my narrow French mind it seemed to be the closest thing to Hogwarts that existed in our Muggle world. The magic of the books made me want to work harder and harder in the hope of making it and I guess I wouldn't be heading there next year if it wasn't for J.K. Rowling! :smile:
obviously who wouldn't
Original post by manchesterunited15
Yeah they didn't even show any quidditch :/ I guess you can't fit everything from a 600 page book into a 2 hour film, but they should have released an extended edition with another 40 minuted or something, like LOTR did :biggrin:

yeah definitely! i was excited about seeing the veela and the leprechauns and it just ended and i was like... what? :confused:
it's a shame, i wouldn't've minded longer films! :biggrin:
Original post by GabrielleT

Harry Potter somehow really made me want to go to Oxford, as to my narrow French mind it seemed to be the closest thing to Hogwarts that existed in our Muggle world. The magic of the books made me want to work harder and harder in the hope of making it and I guess I wouldn't be heading there next year if it wasn't for J.K. Rowling! :smile:

I'm starting to think I should've applied to oxford instead of cambridge now just because it's more hogwartsy :redface:
I started reading the Philosophers Stone aged 5, (we didn't have a TV, reading was the main source of entertainment) and grew older reading the series. I reread the chamber of secrets a few weeks ago and still find them as entertaining as I did back then. Never really got into the films though.
It's obviously going to be even more precious to me and our generation because we literally grew up reading them, waiting every year for the next book to come out and then the next film to come out. So many of us were genuinely sucked into Harry's world. I don't think you can forget about that easily.
This sounds totally naff, but I can't wait until I have kids and can start reading Harry Potter with them.

The books completely made my childhood; I'll never forget the amazing feeling of waking up to a brand new copy of the Order of the Phoenix the morning after it was released at midnight, and seeing it had been signed by Hagrid. (My Dad, to this day, still denies it was him who signed it!)
It's been a year now, and I miss it so much.
Harry Potter books are always going to be amazing reads, and a definate on my children's book shelf :yy::redface:

Quick Reply

Latest