The Student Room Group

Considering a Degree Apprenticeship? Q&A with experts and current apprentices!

Poll

Have you ever thought about doing a degree apprenticeship?

OxowRu8Q.jpeg

Have you ever thought about an degree apprenticeship?

Not sure what they are, or if they're right for you?

Ever wanted to ask a current degree apprentice or skills coach some questions to get more information?

Join in our LIVE Q&A with experts, skills coaches and current apprentices!

On Friday 29th April from 9am-5pm, we have an amazing array of people in the know on degree apprenticeships from Manchester Metropolitan University online to answer all your questions.

@McrMetApprentice - Melissa, Outreach Officer for Degree Apprenticeships

@McrMetEmma - Emma, Skills Coach at Manchester Metropolitan University

@McrMetMason - Mason, Digital User Experience (UX) Professional degree apprentice at Bentley Motors

@McrMetFizah - Fizah, a Digital and Technology solutions degree apprentice at Barclays

@McrMetLeon - Leon, Digital and Technology Solutions degree apprentice at Fujitsu

Add your question below now - the team will be replying to all questions LIVE from 9am on Friday 29th April!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What is the main reason you chose a degree apprenticeship, as opposed to a straight degree *or* apprenticeship?

Are there certain fields where you think a degree apprenticeship could be more or less beneficial?

@McrMetFizah @McrMetLeon @McrMetMason
Reply 2
Original post by StrawberryDreams
OxowRu8Q.jpeg

Ever wanted to ask a current degree apprentice or skills coach some questions to get more information?

On Friday 29th April from 9am-5pm, we have an amazing array of people in the know on degree apprenticeships from Manchester Metropolitan University online to answer all your questions.

@McrMetMason - Mason, Digital User Experience (UX) Professional degree apprentice at Bentley Motors

@McrMetFizah - Fizah, a Digital and Technology solutions degree apprentice at Barclays

@McrMetLeon - Leon, Digital and Technology Solutions degree apprentice at Fujitsu

Add your question below now - the team will be replying to all questions LIVE from 9am on Friday 29th April!

If I want to apply for a degree apprenticeship, do I get paid whilst working and studying? Do I have to pay student loans for the degree as well? Thanks!
I'm thinking about doing a degree apprenticeship after university because I want to change my career and I hate my current degree. I am just wondering if employers tend to discriminate against applicants that already have degrees (in a different subject) or if they tend to discriminate against applicants who are slightly older? I am going to turn 22 in October, but I fear that I am too old to apply for a degree apprenticeship.

Would the employers still consider me even if I already have a degree in a different subject?
Reply 4
Hello,
I have a few questions for the Q & A:

Do employers discriminate against apprenticeships in comparison to a traditional degree?

Leon, Mason and Fizah, is there anything I can do and put on my CV that increases the likelihood of me getting an apprenticeship?

To everyone where do I look for an apprenticeship opportunities ( Especially in the IT sector ) e.g is there a certain website where many were listed.

What is the process of getting an apprenticeship i.e interviews, applying ect.
A lot of degree apprenticeships I see are for big companies. Will it be harder for to complete the qualification if find one at a smaller local firm?

Also, Mason, Fizah and Leon - do you get time allocated for coursework in your working hours and if so how much and how often?
Reply 6
Original post by StrawberryDreams

OxowRu8Q.jpeg

How competitive are apprenticeships? How many apply for a place? What % of applicants are a successful? What makes a good applicant? (Finance focus). Thank you!
How does it work in terms of going to uni and going to work? Do you have set times to go to uni or are you at work 9-5 then going to uni?
I don't think I can do an apprenticeship in my job I want :no:
Hiya, here are my questions: How was it trying to manage your uni life with the work aspect? Was it possible to also take part in societies at uni whilst doing a degree apprenticeship, or would this fill up the schedule too much? Were you given support when (or if) balancing this became difficult, and if so, would it have been from the uni or the employers or both? Who gets to decide which university you study at whilst completing this?Thank youuu :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
I’m a dual citizen (British and US) currently living somewhere in Asia. I have never lived in the UK and all my education has been done in America. Would I still be eligible to apply for a degree apprenticeship or do I need to reside in the UK for at least 3 years?
If I am eligible, would my American education give me a disadvantage? I already have some education in a university.
Thank you in advance!
Reply 11
what's the procedure for application for international students?
Hi, I work for the NHS and im really interested in a degree apprenticeship either in radiography or medical physics, I am studying an access to healthcare science diploma out of my own pocket to get the ucas points, but when i broached the subject with my boss she said I was too old. (i am 50). Apparently only having 20 odd years left in the workforce isnt seen as value for money. Can they discriminate my age and are there rules saying they are only for younger people?
Hi,

I’ve applied for an apprenticeship in London, im 26 and will be in first year of apprenticeship,what is the typical salary? Also,am I able to apply for benefits whilst doing the apprenticeship?

Many thanks
Original post by BlinkyBill
What is the main reason you chose a degree apprenticeship, as opposed to a straight degree *or* apprenticeship?

Are there certain fields where you think a degree apprenticeship could be more or less beneficial?

@McrMetFizah @McrMetLeon @McrMetMason

I chose a degree apprenticeship instead of going down the traditional route to get a degree as I knew an apprenticeship would give me 'on-the-job' experience. It's also a fantastic opportunity to earn while you learn and build up your skills. Once you have completed your degree, you already have so much experience in the field and over the years you pick up new soft and technical skills. You get to learn in a work environment which helps understand what skills you need to excel in your role.

To answer your second question - I don't believe so. Whichever field you decide to pursue an apprenticeship in, you'll always be benefitted because you get to develop valuable skills in that sector.

Regards,
Fizah

@BlinkyBill
Original post by emmf2310
If I want to apply for a degree apprenticeship, do I get paid whilst working and studying? Do I have to pay student loans for the degree as well? Thanks!

@emmf2310 Yes, when you apply to a degree apprenticeship you spend 80% of your time working (and then getting paid a salary for that work) and then 20% studying for the degree and the degree is paid for my the company
Original post by username5950632
I'm thinking about doing a degree apprenticeship after university because I want to change my career and I hate my current degree. I am just wondering if employers tend to discriminate against applicants that already have degrees (in a different subject) or if they tend to discriminate against applicants who are slightly older? I am going to turn 22 in October, but I fear that I am too old to apply for a degree apprenticeship.

Would the employers still consider me even if I already have a degree in a different subject?

Hi @username5950632, there is no upper age limit for applying to and undertaking a degree apprenticeship! As long as you are not already qualified to degree level in the subject area of the apprenticeship you are applying to, you are usually eligible to apply. Employers can't discriminate by age, and many of our degree apprentices at Manchester Metropolitan University are over the age of 22 when they begin their programme. Hope that helps :smile:
Hi,

I was just wondering if you receive the same support as people who aren't doing a degree apprenticeship. And are you taught and assessed on the same content? Are you perhaps in the same lessons as those who are doing a normal degree?

Also are the required grades higher for a degree apprenticeship? Or is it the same as applying to the course normally?

Finally, do you have any tips for the application process and life at university in general?

Are degree apprenticeships suited more to those who prefer learning practical skills? :smile:
Hi @vickym2512 , No, if you complete a degree apprenticeship with a smaller local firm you would have a similar experience as the apprentices at the bigger companies. During the time spent at university I have noticed a real range of different sized companies some big and some small but we are all in the same boat and support each other if we have any questions. Also you will get a lot of support from university if you are struggling with either work of study :smile:

Also in terms of time allocation for me personally at Bentley we work very flexible and so i can spend time at work completing coursework as long as I ensure that my work projects are completed. But I do know of other people in different teams in Bentley who set a few hours every week aside in their calendar to work on university work. But also we are given a lot of time during our time at university to work on the assignment. I have noticed that I don’t actually have to spend a lot of my personal free time working on coursework, I definitely spent more of my free time doing coursework during high school and college. But at the end of the day it is up to you to make sure you make use of the time you are given at uni and at work to do your coursework :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending