The Student Room Group

How do I know if a virus has gone from my iPhone?

Hi, I stupidly clicked on a link on my iPhone 12 without thinking and then I got a notification saying that my device had been infected with a virus. I disconnected the wifi, switched off my phone and then searched the web for what to do. They said an effective way to remove it was to do a factory reset, which I did, and then logged back into my Apple ID. I'm still really panicked about whether or not the virus is still there. Has this happened to anyone before? Is there any way I can find out? Did I do anything wrong?
Original post by flopsey-bunny
Hi, I stupidly clicked on a link on my iPhone 12 without thinking and then I got a notification saying that my device had been infected with a virus. I disconnected the wifi, switched off my phone and then searched the web for what to do. They said an effective way to remove it was to do a factory reset, which I did, and then logged back into my Apple ID. I'm still really panicked about whether or not the virus is still there. Has this happened to anyone before? Is there any way I can find out? Did I do anything wrong?

Hi there.

You could download an anti virus app on your phone perhaps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
If that notification came up on a browser there's a chance that there was no virus on your phone and it was just a pop-up to scare you into downloading an app. As the person said above you can try using an anti-virus but it could have just been scareware
Hi there, thank you so much for the replies.
Does anyone have any recommendations about antivirus apps that I could use? My phone has been acting a bit weirdly. I was watching Youtube and then I closed it and went onto a different app, and then this video that had absolutely nothing to do with what I was watching starting playing after I'd put down my phone. I did a factory reset, but I must have done it wrong because my data is still there. I'm not really sure what to do.
Reply 4
Personally I use Norton and I used to use Kaspersky too.
(edited 2 years ago)

Sounds like this notification was on the scam website itself. Not sure why else you'd receive a notification saying you have a virus.

Because of how iOS uses sandboxing prevents malicious code from infecting the phone itself. Just keeping your phone up to date should suffice by patching vulnerabilities.

But it's important to know that iPhones are still susceptible to malware/viruses, though apparently less likely than Androids.
(edited 2 years ago)

There are a few signs that can indicate whether a virus has been removed from your iPhone:

Check for unusual app behavior: If you had a virus on your iPhone, it may have caused your apps to behave abnormally, such as crashing frequently or not opening at all. If you're no longer experiencing these issues, it's possible that the virus has been removed.

Check your battery usage: If you notice that your battery is draining faster than usual, it could be a sign of a virus. After removing the virus, your battery usage should return to normal.

Run a virus scan: You can use a reputable antivirus app to scan your iPhone for viruses. If the scan comes back clean, it's likely that the virus has been removed.

Check for suspicious activity: If you notice any unusual activity on your phone, such as unauthorized purchases or texts, it could be a sign of a virus. After removing the virus, this activity should stop.

It's always a good idea to keep your iPhone's software up-to-date and avoid installing apps from untrusted sources to prevent viruses from infecting your device in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending