The Student Room Group

Failed driving test

Hi,

Yesterday I've failed my driving test for pulling over the half car on the pavement. Basically I had 0 minors and just that 1 serious, I have been asked to pull over on the right hand side of the road on a tight estate road, so I did pull over but parked half the car on the pavement like all other cars do on estate streets and examiner failed me for this. This was supposed to be reverse 2 cars length manoeuvre.

At the end examiner said "in real conditions you'd normally park like you have done but on the test you can't park on the pavement under any circumstances" - I thought test is there to prepae you for driving as well as lessons so why can not park like this when you have to otherwise the other cars wouldn't have passed next to as I'd block the road?

I feel cheated and disappointed because if it was a wider road I'd never park like that like I have not when been asked to pull over on the left few times during the test. I just didn't realise its a manoeuvre and thought I'd fail for blocking the traffic on this narrow road

What are your thoughts on this?
(edited 2 years ago)
Your examiner has explained - you can’t park on the pavement on the driving test. Even if you thought that your car was causing an obstruction to oncoming traffic.
(edited 2 years ago)
I was taught that touching the kerb was pretty much an auto fail in any circumstances. Not sure that’s 100% true but I would not have risked mounting the pavement.

On the positive side, sounds like a great drive otherwise.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
I was taught that touching the kerb was pretty much an auto fail in any circumstances. Not sure that’s 100% true but I would not have risked mounting the pavement.

On the positive side, sounds like a great drive otherwise.

Thanks for heads up.

I had a a relatively easy test route opposite to my first test that I've failed for observation on double roundabouts and forced my way in so this has knocked my confidence even more, I was pretty much relaxed on this test, no idea how it is going to be on my next one when I can get much harder test route. I was stressed so much on my first test therefore failed.
Original post by Admit-One

Same I was taught that any more than a scuff would fail, and failed my 2nd test party for reversing into one a bit rough.

OP It's a bummer to fail on 1 thing like that, and it's a thing that any and many drivers would do barely thinking about it depending where they were. The test just doesn't allow it though :frown: I did much the same and did my 1st test 99% great but in last 3 mins missed a red light on a roundabout as I had honestly never seen such a thing and was too focussed on my lane directions. You pretty much just need to book a new test and sulk a bit for coming so close, but knowing fine well you can pass.

In terms of the examiner, well they said it all, they know it's how people drive, but rules are rules. The fact it could prove even a potential obstacle to a pedestrian counts and in various council areas pavement & verge parking is bylaw banned so the overall test likely needs to assume it is. The test is about how well you can follow the rules.. we all know these rules aren't always practically followed, but the test can't and shouldn't take that into account IMO.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Same I was taught that any more than a scuff would fail, and failed my 2nd test party for reversing into one a bit rough.

OP It's a bummer to fail on 1 thing like that, and it's a thing that any and many drivers would do barely thinking about it depending where they were. The test just doesn't allow it though :frown: I did much the same and did my 1st test 99% great but in last 3 mins missed a red light on a roundabout as I had honestly never seen such a thing and was too focussed on my lane directions. You pretty much just need to book a new test and sulk a bit for coming so close, but knowing fine well you can pass.

In terms of the examiner, well they said it all, they know it's how people drive, but rules are rules. The fact it could prove even a potential obstacle to a pedestrian counts and in various council areas pavement & verge parking is bylaw banned so the overall test likely needs to assume it is. The test is about how well you can follow the rules.. we all know these rules aren't always practically followed, but the test can't and shouldn't take that into account IMO.

Well said.
Reply 6
Under no circumstances can you end up with half your car on the pavement, the general rule being that you should follow the highway code despite what other vehicles are doing. That being said, it was clearly a poor place to ask you to pull up on the right as it would be luring you into doing what the other vehicles have done. When pulling up on the right it is part of a manoeuvre and they will be expecting you to reverse, something which they wouldn't allow you to do on the pavement. If it was me I would probably have picked a different location/manoeuvre, or given some discretion.

There is some merit for a complaint on the basis that you have been asked to pull up on a narrow road where other cars are parked on the pavement, this is generally against guidance for this type of manoeuvre as it could be construed as luring you into performing a serious fault.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending