The Student Room Group

Overthinking driving

The idea of driving sometimes gives me sm anxiety…for health reasons atm I’m unable to do lessons so I don’t know if that contributes to it. Basically I have done around 11/12 lessons but my last lesson was April I believe. I overthink every mistake I make when I’m driving and get worried that I’m annoying other people. I’m actually going with a new instructor once I’m able to do lessons again which makes me feel slightly better as I’ve heard really good things about him but it also makes me that bit more anxious as well. I have a tendency to be awkward af when I’m nervous.

I haven’t even sat my theory yet because the idea of it makes me anxious…when I think to the future, once I’ve eventually passed my theory and gotten to the point where I can sit a practical test that scares me a lot. I see lots of people on my social media constantly posting about their new cars and getting their license. I just can’t see myself ever being able to do that…idek why, I just have no confidence in myself whatsoever.

It’s so annoying because ive left school now and completed all my exams so I should feel totally relaxed but I can’t because I keep overthinking this whole driving situation.
Reply 1
Original post by Newtothis_24
The idea of driving sometimes gives me sm anxiety…for health reasons atm I’m unable to do lessons so I don’t know if that contributes to it. Basically I have done around 11/12 lessons but my last lesson was April I believe. I overthink every mistake I make when I’m driving and get worried that I’m annoying other people. I’m actually going with a new instructor once I’m able to do lessons again which makes me feel slightly better as I’ve heard really good things about him but it also makes me that bit more anxious as well. I have a tendency to be awkward af when I’m nervous.

I haven’t even sat my theory yet because the idea of it makes me anxious…when I think to the future, once I’ve eventually passed my theory and gotten to the point where I can sit a practical test that scares me a lot. I see lots of people on my social media constantly posting about their new cars and getting their license. I just can’t see myself ever being able to do that…idek why, I just have no confidence in myself whatsoever.

It’s so annoying because ive left school now and completed all my exams so I should feel totally relaxed but I can’t because I keep overthinking this whole driving situation.

Firstly, being nervous is a good sign. Driving is a lot riskier than most people learning realise and it is only after driving for a few years that I've been able to appreciate this. Also, don't be afraid to discuss this with your new driving instructor, am sure they will have experienced it before and will allow them to tailor you lessons. For example, they might progress at a slower rate so you can get more comfortable with each stage or focus on giving positives rather than criticising minor mistakes.

I would definitely get your theory done as knowing what is "right" and the hazard perception might easy your nerves, but it is also pretty straightforward and worth getting out the way.

Are you able to practice with a family member or friend? I think this could help you feel more relaxed as ultimately 90% of confidence in driving comes from practising.

Finally, don't be too self-conscious! There are plenty of terrible drivers on the roads who somehow passed their tests!!!
(Original post by JPowWow)Firstly, being nervous is a good sign. Driving is a lot riskier than most people learning realise and it is only after driving for a few years that I've been able to appreciate this. Also, don't be afraid to discuss this with your new driving instructor, am sure they will have experienced it before and will allow them to tailor you lessons. For example, they might progress at a slower rate so you can get more comfortable with each stage or focus on giving positives rather than criticising minor mistakes.

I would definitely get your theory done as knowing what is "right" and the hazard perception might easy your nerves, but it is also pretty straightforward and worth getting out the way.

Are you able to practice with a family member or friend? I think this could help you feel more relaxed as ultimately 90% of confidence in driving comes from practising.

Finally, don't be too self-conscious! There are plenty of terrible drivers on the roads who somehow passed their tests!!!

Yeah I get that defo, and I’ve not really had much private practice outwith lessons. My mum took me to an industrial estate to practice once and I felt completely confident so I’m thinking it might just be the fact I’m in a car with someone I don’t know as well. Ideally I’d like to be doing practice out on the actual roads once I get back to it with my mum if I’m able to get L plates :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending