The Student Room Group

Medicine and being Asian...

Hi!
I'm strongly considering medicine for a career but am of Pakistani Decent.
Whilst my family and ethnic origin haven't as such played a part in wanting to go into medicine [I have been interested by the body and science since I was 10!], I am concerned that one may suffer discrimination as a result of being asian and going into medicine...
After all, unis may just want more white doctors to make up for the excess of asian ones, right?

Indeed, a few years ago, I decided to forget about going into medicine solely because I didn't want to fall into a racial stereotype and, as bad as it sounds, only reconsidered medicine after I noticed that quite a few whites from my school are also going into medicine....

Your thoughts?
Thanks...
Reply 1
I wouldnt worry about it.

When you are treating people as a doctor and their life is at risk, the last thing they are gonna be caring about is the colour of your skin.

The selectors for uni would be breaking the law if they didnt let you in on the basis of your ethnic origin.
Reply 2
Unregistered
Hi!
Whilst my family and ethnic origin haven't as such played a part in wanting to go into medicine [I have been interested by the body and science since I was 10!], I am concerned that one may suffer discrimination as a result of being asian and going into medicine...
After all, unis may just want more white doctors to make up for the excess of asian ones, right?

Indeed, a few years ago, I decided to forget about going into medicine solely because I didn't want to fall into a racial stereotype and, as bad as it sounds, only reconsidered medicine after I noticed that quite a few whites from my school are also going into medicine....

Your thoughts?
Thanks...

No, although out of all the strange conspiracy theories I have heard, this would rank somewhere down the middle:smile: If Medicine is what you want to do, after having given it the topic due consideration, then apply for it!

Strange reasoning by the way, although, I supppose that IF (just a hypothetical) Asian people (or any other group) had an excessively high failure rate, interestingly I think that could lead to a bias.
(NOTE: that was just what I believe to be an interesting hypothetical, and I would personally surmise that the pass rate amongst asians is most probably higher, as a proporotion).
Unregistered
Hi!

Your thoughts?
Thanks...

Are you taking the mickey?
Medical schoold are full of asian students, way above what the population average says. Far from discrimination, I think there's either positive discrimination, or else that asian students are just plain good!
FYI theres hasnt been a caucasian person in a prominent position in MEDSOC for some years now. Go figure.
Medical school couldnt care less if you're black or white. The deciding factor is always ability. It has been noted that very few blacks get into medicine. I would say though that this is because of problems way before uni, at the high school level.
I cant speak for other medical schools, but i wopuld say they are enlightened enought to go for quality over quantity (lack thereof of melanin that is).
J
Reply 4
foolfarian
Are you taking the mickey?
Medical schoold are full of asian students, way above what the population average says. Far from discrimination, I think there's either positive discrimination, or else that asian students are just plain good!
FYI theres hasnt been a caucasian person in a prominent position in MEDSOC for some years now. Go figure.
Medical school couldnt care less if you're black or white. The deciding factor is always ability. It has been noted that very few blacks get into medicine. I would say though that this is because of problems way before uni, at the high school level.
I cant speak for other medical schools, but i wopuld say they are enlightened enought to go for quality over quantity (lack thereof of melanin that is).
J

It's not positive discrimination. Asian people are often just very highly motivated, and have a very strong work ethic. Although the category 'Asian' is very unhelpful, as certain groups are struggling a great deal, and others within that same category do far better than the national average.
Reply 5
Unregistered
Hi!

Your thoughts?
Thanks...

in that case then why bother doing anything? yes discrimination does exist but just sitting down and saying "i'm not going to have a shot at what i really want to do because i might be discriminated against" is not going to get you anywhere. i am an indian and am studying law at oxford, if id have taken your attitude id probably still be at home working in a DIY store! there is always going to be discrimination in anything you do and not just because you're asian, discrimination exists in a lot of forms. you just have to say "f*** it" and really go for what you want.
Reply 6
Erm, if you are so easily deterred from studying medicine because of fear of racial discrimination....did u have a strong enough passion to study it in the first place?
Statistically Pakistani applicants are less likely to be offered a place on a medicine course (but this might be that there are a larger proportion who apply with lower or unsuitable (ie excluding chemistry) A levels and so get rejected).

However once offered a place 38% of Pakistani applicants are likely to meet their offer and get in, only 33% of white students achieve the same.

There is no prejudice when offering courses - they're offered to the most dedicated suitable applicants...especially in the case of medicine when grades are almost irrelevent and personality and commitment to the profession are far more important.
Reply 8
Ahh.
It was just that I read somewhere that they were trying to get more non-asians in and discriminating against asians.
Some rumours at my school. Thanks for clearing that up.
Reply 9
J.S.
It's not positive discrimination. Asian people are often just very highly motivated, and have a very strong work ethic. Although the category 'Asian' is very unhelpful, as certain groups are struggling a great deal, and others within that same category do far better than the national average.

Thats true- a friend of my mums teaches in a school which is a mixture of white working class, Pakistani, Bengali and a few Indian Hindus. She reckons that on average, the Pakistani and Indian boys (single sex school) do better then the white ones, but the Bengalis achieve lower grades and tend to have more problems within the system. Cultural reasons I suppose, but I dont know too much more about it. Anyone?

Latest