Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2023 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

Some colleges did send out their room preference forms before results day but I'm not sure if Castle was one of them. I would suggest emailing them and asking what the timeline will look like. And yes, if Castle is confirmed as her college, she will get a room preference form via email in which she can mention whether she wants catered/self-catered accommodation and the type of room. Please note that although they'll try their best to meet your preferences, it's not always possible because of high demand and limited supply. For instance, ensuite rooms tend to be very attractive but they're limited (esp in catered colleges like Castle). So if you really want one, it will help if you write down any specific reasons in your room preference form when you get it.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions you may have :smile:

-Himieka

Thank you Himieka for responding and putting me at ease.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by random_matt
Swear they had a wage. Whoever thinks £4 a meal is good value does not live in reality, reminds me of a conservative politician. However, I forgive those who think this is good value as they have yet to leave their parents nest and live in the real world.

I thought I was the only one who found the phrase “£4 a meal is good value” quite ignorant 😭
Swear they had a wage. Whoever thinks £4 a meal is good value does not live in reality, reminds me of a conservative politician. However, I forgive those who think this is good value as they have yet to leave their parents nest and live in the real world.

£4 per meal includes a lot more than you think if you're maximising it as much as possible, and as another poster has said, there are hidden costs. Staff need to be paid a living wage, you're not responsible for washing up, and there's generally a good selection - said by someone who lives in the "real world" and has seen certain Cambridge colleges (the rich ones.. too) charge 50% more than that per meal. You should just hope they fix the cost at that, with inflation running rampant.

Surely, if it's a big deal, you can seek accommodation elsewhere? Durham has plenty of rooms to let in houseshares, or there's plenty of private student accommodation? I've been looking around, and there's plenty available privately even now with just a month from the start of term.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by BarnabyK
£4 per meal includes a lot more than you think if you're maximising it as much as possible, and as another poster has said, there are hidden costs. Staff need to be paid a living wage, you're not responsible for washing up, and there's generally a good selection - said by someone who lives in the "real world" and has seen certain Cambridge colleges (the rich ones.. too) charge 50% more than that per meal. You should just hope they fix the cost at that, with inflation running rampant.

Surely, if it's a big deal, you can seek accommodation elsewhere? Durham has plenty of rooms to let in houseshares, or there's plenty of private student accommodation? I've been looking around, and there's plenty available privately even now with just a month from the start of term.

Staff are paid a wage, a minimum wage like the majority of jobs in the UK. That £4 is nothing to do with the cook's, that is the university mugging you off. Damn, their are fanboys of universities now? Congratulations.
Staff are paid a wage, a minimum wage like the majority of jobs in the UK. That £4 is nothing to do with the cook's, that is the university mugging you off. Damn, their are fanboys of universities now? Congratulations.

God, you really do suck the life out of everything, don't you? For the past few months on this forum, you've kicked off about everything under the sun despite there being multiple solutions to all of your gripes. This, paired with the fact you seem to be an adult man given your post history just looks kinda pathetic, lol.

We're all paying for a service; if you don't like the costs of said service, don't knowingly apply to college accommodation, knowing it's a toss-up on what you may/may not have to pay- as many people have already pointed out, which isn't "fanboying" (note how the poster you're replying to never said that he/she agreed).

The truth is you're not worth engaging with at this point, which most people seem to have figured out. Enjoy your studies, and I, for one, thoroughly hope I don't cross paths with you at the university as you seem exhausting.
Original post by Anonymous
God, you really do suck the life out of everything, don't you? For the past few months on this forum, you've kicked off about everything under the sun despite there being multiple solutions to all of your gripes. This, paired with the fact you seem to be an adult man given your post history just looks kinda pathetic, lol.

We're all paying for a service; if you don't like the costs of said service, don't knowingly apply to college accommodation, knowing it's a toss-up on what you may/may not have to pay- as many people have already pointed out, which isn't "fanboying" (note how the poster you're replying to never said that he/she agreed).

The truth is you're not worth engaging with at this point, which most people seem to have figured out. Enjoy your studies, and I, for one, thoroughly hope I don't cross paths with you at the university as you seem exhausting.

Don't reply to my comments then and I will do the same with yours, was this not easier to type rather than that drivel.
Reply 3986
Hi, I’ve been allocated a “Catered Twin En-Suite Room” at Hatfield College. I’m very happy with this, however I’m just trying to work out the maths on the accommodation price. I am being charged £9195. Which is not a problem but it genuinely doesn’t add up based on the link that was posted previously in this forum. I’m just wondering if I’m missing something on the website. Thanks.

This is the link I am referring to: https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/accommodation-and-catering/residence-charges/undergraduate-residence-charges/

Where do you think the money for their wage will come from?
Original post by AYZ88
Hi, I’ve been allocated a “Catered Twin En-Suite Room” at Hatfield College. I’m very happy with this, however I’m just trying to work out the maths on the accommodation price. I am being charged £9195. Which is not a problem but it genuinely doesn’t add up based on the link that was posted previously in this forum. I’m just wondering if I’m missing something on the website. Thanks.

This is the link I am referring to: https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/accommodation-and-catering/residence-charges/undergraduate-residence-charges/

Should be normal fees £9741 minus £546 for sharing a room
has anyone received their CAS yet??
Reply 3990
Hi, has anyone had any problems with uploading your photograph on the banner self service as part of enrolment? The photo I have in my camera roll is fine quality, however when I use their tool to adjust to the correct pixel size and file type the new image is really blurry. Does anyone know how to sort this? Thanks.
Original post by Seb27
Hi, has anyone had any problems with uploading your photograph on the banner self service as part of enrolment? The photo I have in my camera roll is fine quality, however when I use their tool to adjust to the correct pixel size and file type the new image is really blurry. Does anyone know how to sort this? Thanks.

Banner self service is just weird, it’s normal to have it squished or stretched. Try to take a new picture and upload that
Reply 3992
*Ensuite room available*
Popping in to enquire if anyone is interested to take over my ensuite room at United Students (Houghall Court, Durham DH13SG) in the 23/24 academic year as I’m dropping out soon.
It is close to campus (approximately 3 min walk to Maidan Castle and 10 min walk to the Billyb library) and relatively newly refurbished. Great for athletes / frequent gym goers. Rent is about £175 pw, w bills included x
hey guys! i keep getting emails to register on the self banner service but i keep getting the "Invalid UDC ID mapping" error message. i contacted IT and had little help there, has anyone had a similar problem/knows how to fix it?
If you got your account details over the weekend, the system requires an overnight update to make your account live on Banner. The overnight updates are only done during the week so you should be able to get onto Banner today. Try again and if still not working, call IT back. Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
hey guys! i keep getting emails to register on the self banner service but i keep getting the "Invalid UDC ID mapping" error message. i contacted IT and had little help there, has anyone had a similar problem/knows how to fix it?
Reply 3995
Original post by XanaXoid
Hi everyone, I'm a student at Durham uni and I'll be going in 2nd year next October. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask here and I'll try to help!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7413789
Just received my offer!! Proper buzzing now me. Applying for geology 😮*💨
Reply 3997
Original post by mleffler
Just received my offer!! Proper buzzing now me. Applying for geology 😮*💨

Congratulations. Heard that Durham generally releases offers in late December
Is that true?
Original post by subodhr
Is that true?

Not sure, depends I imagine. I wasn’t an oxbridge applicant so I imagine if you were one you’d get it around then? I’m surprised I got it this early, to be honest. Only submitted it last week as well, mental
Original post by subodhr
Is that true?

Given they are always closed for the last 10 days or so in December I wouldn't say very likely...perhaps more like late February or March...

Quick Reply

Latest