The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2023 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by username6004427
Hi thanks both, I just have a question about the application process.

Durham seems to send out applicant offers relatively late in the year vs other universities. Is this standard procedure or does it vary by subject. I wondered if Durham makes offers throughout the Oct-May period or do they typically wait until April/May to respond? Thanks so much for your help

Hi, honestly there is no clear cut answer for this. I got my offer at the start of February, but my friend never heard back until the middle of May. It's different for everyone, but I would say the bulk of responses tend to be Feb-March. The majority of the "top" universities tend to wait until after the UCAS deadline (end of January) to reply, which leads offers to start coming out from February. Hope this helps !
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by dalekanium
Hello :smile:

I'm a U.S student trying to navigate through the UCAS system (which is quite confusing as an international student!), but I'm excited to finally submit my application for Philo/Theo and (fingers crossed) gain entry to my dream school.

I was curious if anyone has any advice on the "education" portion of the application, and specifically whether it's necessary for U.S students to enter every class they've taken + current APs as separate qualifications?

Good luck to everyone.

Hi there ! Take my reply with a pinch of salt, as I'm not American, but I'd definitely add all of your APs and classes as separate. We have GCSEs here, and all of those are added separately. Good luck !
Original post by Bernadettewarbie
I’m a Durham alumni and have many reference books which may find useful. All I ask is costs to cover admin time and postage. (Some books heavier than others)The books come free. All in great condition, some brand new Let me know if there are any particular text you need/want to acquire and I’ll see if I’ve got it.

Hi there - what subject did you do?
Hey, so I would like to apply for computer science but I’m not sure if I should do the CS or NatSci route. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, so I would like to apply for computer science but I’m not sure if I should do the CS or NatSci route. Any advice?

Do you want to study only CS or do you also want to study other subjects?
Original post by XanaXoid
Do you want to study only CS or do you also want to study other subjects?

CS and maths
CS and maths

CS already has some mandatory maths modules and you could take up to one open module each year (check the module handbook for the maths to see which one you can take). And after you have checked this you still think you want to do more maths modules you can consider doing a joint degree. Also, consider progression and requirements for second and third year modules

I'm taking the NatSci rout so i can so CS & Phil :smile:
I'm a gap year student (A-levels achieved Math, CS, Philosophy) applying for Durham NatSci, can't believe i only found out about Durham's NatSci degree this year as I was desperate for uni's who would let me do CS & Philosophy!

just wondering how long it takes back to hear back from Durham? Last year i was left waiting until May 17th for one of my choices!!!
Original post by username6004427
Hi thanks both, I just have a question about the application process.

Durham seems to send out applicant offers relatively late in the year vs other universities. Is this standard procedure or does it vary by subject. I wondered if Durham makes offers throughout the Oct-May period or do they typically wait until April/May to respond? Thanks so much for your help

Durham got back to me a week before the deadline just to reject me 💀💀

Had all A* predictions, litetally everyone I know that applied for my course was rejected except for contextual and internationals due to deferrals from year before

Honestly the worst uni communication I’ve ever experienced.

Apply wherever you want but I just stumbled across this and you should hear the negative experiences too!
Original post by hamlethoratio
Honestly you’re not alone in that experience definitely not and like I already had an achieved A* in EPQ so I couldn’t have had better stats to apply on. Omg yes I’ve heard about some accommodation crisis at Durham with freshers being given random rooms and switched last min.

Honestly we’re both better off at other unis!! I’m going to york which has been great in its applicant communications.

Absolutely hope you have the best time😊
Original post by the_obscure
Absolutely hope you have the best time😊

Thank you!! You too ☺️☺️
Hi everyone! I'm off to Durham this year to study Law. If any of you have any questions, let me know :smile:
It would be really useful if we could get an idea of how well the uni is organised once you are a student. Is it a catalogue of errors or does it get better. My sister is about to make her choices so I’m sure she and others here would appreciate the info (preferably not from the official reps - no offence meant)
It would be really useful if we could get an idea of how well the uni is organised once you are a student. Is it a catalogue of errors or does it get better. My sister is about to make her choices so I’m sure she and others here would appreciate the info (preferably not from the official reps - no offence meant)

Hi there

I understand you didn't want a response from an official rep (which is totally fine- no offence taken!) but I'll still reply to this since nobody else has.

In my experience as a law student, I've found the department to be all right when it comes to communications. They aim to respond to your query within 5 working days and have always replied within that limit- mostly within 2 days, in fact. At one point, I had an assignment due at 12 pm and there was some issue with the online portal which only the admins could fix. I emailed them at 10 am, and they responded within 30 minutes and fixed the issue, which I appreciate. There are still some departments like finance (which you need to approach for fees-related stuff) which were working from home when I last raised an issue with them and they did take longer than expected to respond.

So there's really a mix. You can expect your academic department and college to be well organised but others which are still WFH can be a bit difficult to reach. I have always had the support I needed by the way- students always know when and how they can approach their academic advisors, counselling services, disability services etc. The library people are also always helpful. With more and more stuff being done online, CIS are extremely proactive and they've always fixed any issues I had within 24 hours. I'd just suggest going to the office in person to get a quicker resolve if you want.

-Himieka

Parent of student who has already graduated... I found the University second to none, certainly more one to one assistance both with academic and personal tutors on hand than others in my cohort experienced from other universities. The Durham experience is certainly one not to be missed.
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

As XanaXoid said, it can vary. Durham was my first offer too and I received it just a day after I applied for law. Law is definitely a competitive course at Durham but I was still accepted based on my personal statement, predicted grades and LNAT scores. A lot of other people I know received their offers later on, throughout the October-May period. So again, it really depends on how strong of an application you make :smile:

-Himieka

I will give my lnat after submitting my ucas but it will be before the deadline. Do you think that is wise?

In the interests of balance I’d like to say that, obviously, Durham is an excellent university academically; it is making serious efforts to widen access and it dealt very effectively with the ‘Durham Boys Making All The Noise’ scandal a couple of years ago. The only issues I have with the university relate to, what I would describe as, poor business processes.
As to what it’s like for students, I have a very close friend who sent two daughters to Durham in recent years: one loved it and thrived; the other left within a month. With any university, it’s about finding the right fit. The best way to find out if a university is the right fit for you is to visit it in person before applying and if you come to a point where you are thinking of firming a university visit again. Best of luck.
Is anyone applying doing A level resits or anyone got in after retaking? Durham says you can apply with resits but is there a real chance of getting an offer again?
Sat my A-levels this year and got A*A*A in Biology, History and Latin (might be A* in Latin as am getting remark being 1 mark off boundary). Reapplying to unis this year for history after not getting where i wanted to go this year and realising I don't want to do law straight away. What are the chances of getting place at durham for ancient and modern history for next year (do they look down on people reapplying or will a place be more certain as I already have the grades).

GCSE grades are (999999888886) + EPQ- A
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest