The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2023 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
If you, for example, have achieved 2 A levels and are taking 1 more this year, this usually puts an applicant at a disadvantage for top universities. This is because they like to see that you can handle the workload of 3-4 at once.

Hiya, Durham state on their website "You don’t have to have studied your A levels in one sitting, as we will accept grades achieved in different years". I did 2 A levels this year and am doing 2 more this year. For every year I've been at college, I've always had a full timetable, so I've definitely shown my capability to handle the workload, especially as I'm fast tracking an A level this year.

Thanks for the reply though, I know it's such a pain not sitting all my A levels in the same sitting, but I do have mitigating circumstances :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Squiggles1238
@Durham Students does it work to a person's advantage if they have already achieved some of their A level grades in contrast to applicants who only have predicted grades, or is this irrelevant?

Hi there

Let me check with someone and get back to you. In the meantime, you can ask the admissions team by ringing them up at +44 (0)191 334 1000. Phone lines are open Monday Friday from 1pm - 4.30pm.

UPDATE: applicants who have achieved their A-levels already are not at any advantage when it comes to the timeline of receiving a decision. Applicants who have predicted grades have the same chance as applicants who have already achieved their grades as predicted grades are used as a placeholder for achieved grades when considering whether or not an offer will be made.

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

Let me check with someone and get back to you. In the meantime, you can ask the admissions team by ringing them up at +44 (0)191 334 1000. Phone lines are open Monday Friday from 1pm - 4.30pm.

-Himieka

Thank you, there’s no rush :smile:
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

UPDATE: applicants who have achieved their A-levels already are not at any advantage when it comes to the timeline of receiving a decision. Applicants who have predicted grades have the same chance as applicants who have already achieved their grades as predicted grades are used as a placeholder for achieved grades when considering whether or not an offer will be made.

-Himieka

Ah good to know, thanks for finding out!
Original post by bonaka4167
I'm actually applying for medicine for 4 of my options so my school reference will be tailored to medicine. I emailed them and they said I could submit another personal statement but what should i do about my reference? will it make me unlikely to receive an offer or disadvantage me?

This is EXACTLY what I am doing too..might see you there.
Original post by Durham University
This is the thread for Durham University 2023 applicants to ask questions, share experiences and find out everything you need to know about Durham, the University and making your application.

Follow @thedurhamstudent on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube for an insight into what it's really like to be a Durham student.

Hi, I just wanted to know what my chances are of getting an offer for English at Durham. I have predicted grades A*A*A (english, psychology, chemistry) and an A in EPQ. I understand its very competitive and people applying usually have 3A*s or more. Is it worth my time to apply or should I consider something else?
Original post by danimototo
Hi, I just wanted to know what my chances are of getting an offer for English at Durham. I have predicted grades A*A*A (english, psychology, chemistry) and an A in EPQ. I understand its very competitive and people applying usually have 3A*s or more. Is it worth my time to apply or should I consider something else?

Hi there

Your predicted grades are quite high and meet the entry requirements so in that sense, you do have a chance of getting an offer. However a decision on applications is made on the basis of several other factors which includes references, personal statement and if need be, then GCSEs. I would honestly just suggest trying to make a well-rounded application to increase your chances of getting an offer :smile:

-Himieka
Fairly certain I messed up and entered my subject choices incorrectly for CHSS - yay goodbye any chance of an offer
Hi, are references included with much weight for a history application? I have medicine as my other choices and the school have placed a lot of emphasis on this in their reference. History would be my first choice, medicine for employablity.
Original post by amgc
Fairly certain I messed up and entered my subject choices incorrectly for CHSS - yay goodbye any chance of an offer

Sorry can you explain? What you mean by CHSS - you can change your ucas form up to 14 days later I believe
I have just been reading some example personal statements. Some are making me wonder if I really want to do some of these courses with these students. "I read Homer's Ilead several times when I was a child". Oh dear.
I am applying to chemistry 2023 with achieved grades of 3A*s in Biology Chemistry and Geography and I am doing maths in a gap year with a predicted grade of A. My GCSES are average with 8888776666, (8s in all sciences and maths) what is the likelihood I get an offer? (The required grades are A*AA)
Hey, I've just received my UG Applicant Portal login etc.
On the Application Document Upload, am I required to upload any of the documents?
I'm not sure what a transcript, reference, exam results would provide that isn't already on UCAS. And I also don't have an English Language Certificate, or Refugee Documents as I'm a Home Student.
Also, is the passport required as I dont have one.
Hey, I've just received my UG Applicant Portal login etc.
On the Application Document Upload, am I required to upload any of the documents?
I'm not sure what a transcript, reference, exam results would provide that isn't already on UCAS. And I also don't have an English Language Certificate, or Refugee Documents as I'm a Home Student.
Also, is the passport required as I dont have one.

I think this is for people who are submitting a substitute personal statement
Just applied for History a couple of days back, I like having dates in my head because I just compulsively check stuff, is there like a vague outline of when offers start rolling out?

Thanks!
Original post by Saint Just
Just applied for History a couple of days back, I like having dates in my head because I just compulsively check stuff, is there like a vague outline of when offers start rolling out?

Thanks!

The majority of offers should be after the equal consideration deadline until like March, it is possible to receive an offer before January as it's also possible to have to wait until May
Original post by XanaXoid
The majority of offers should be after the equal consideration deadline until like March, it is possible to receive an offer before January as it's also possible to have to wait until May

Thank you, I'll try and sit in peace till January then.
Last year the offspring waited until one week before their A levels started.
Am hopeful with achieved grades it may be a swifter response but am not sure it makes any difference!
Def would advise to expect it as your latest response and then be pleasantly surprised if you hear earlier.
Good luck with all your applications and fingers crossed for Durham replying soon 😊
I am applying to chemistry 2023 with achieved grades of 3A*s in Biology Chemistry and Geography and I am doing maths in a gap year with a predicted grade of A. My GCSES are average with 8888776666, (8s in all sciences and maths) what is the likelihood I get an offer? (The required grades are A*AA)

Hi there

All applications are decided on a case-by-case basis. Your A-level grades are really amazing and meet the entry requirements so you do pass the minimum threshold. The rest will depend on your references, personal statement and GCSEs (if need be). Offers will also depend on the performance of the overall cohort of applicants.

Good luck :smile:

-Himieka
This may seem a silly question, but do I upload my substitute personal statement as a pdf or word doc?

Quick Reply

Latest