The Student Room Group

drop out

Im currently studying btec business, computer science and english language in A levels. i wanna become a pilot as my dream job, ive done a lot of research and i dont actually need A levels just a lot of money. i thought of an idea of how to get the money but i dont know if it would go well—considering dropping my A levels to go for it but ive already done 1 year of my A levels. i really dont enjoy them though and i dread revising them and learning but having A levels would be good to fall back on. im quite unsure on what to do, as i can always do my plan after A levels id just have to hate and endure another year. i also don't want to go university whatsoever so my A levels are kinda useless in that sense.
Original post by bobuel
Im currently studying btec business, computer science and english language in A levels. i wanna become a pilot as my dream job, ive done a lot of research and i dont actually need A levels just a lot of money. i thought of an idea of how to get the money but i dont know if it would go well—considering dropping my A levels to go for it but ive already done 1 year of my A levels. i really dont enjoy them though and i dread revising them and learning but having A levels would be good to fall back on. im quite unsure on what to do, as i can always do my plan after A levels id just have to hate and endure another year. i also don't want to go university whatsoever so my A levels are kinda useless in that sense.

If you don't want to go to university, that's fine, you don't have to
Becoming a pilot is a good career it you're passionate about it. Yes, you would need a fair bit of money to fund yourself throughout the course.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by spectrum84
If you don't want to go to university, that's fine, you don't have to
Becoming a pilot is a good career it you're passionate about it. Yes, you would need a fair bit of money to fund yourself throughout the course.

Good luck :smile:

i thought about dropping my A levels and starting a vocational course in trade so I could get straight into work and hopefully fund myself in the future, but I'm quite conflicted as if I wanna change careers or something along the way I wouldn't have A levels to fall back on. i really don't enjoy my A levels right now, I struggled to revise so much in yr12 and ended up with all C's in my trial exams.
Original post by bobuel
i thought about dropping my A levels and starting a vocational course in trade so I could get straight into work and hopefully fund myself in the future, but I'm quite conflicted as if I wanna change careers or something along the way I wouldn't have A levels to fall back on. i really don't enjoy my A levels right now, I struggled to revise so much in yr12 and ended up with all C's in my trial exams.

Firstly, a lot of people find year 12 hard, it's a big jump from GCSE, it will take time to get used to. If you feel you're not ready for year 13, you could redo year 12 with a completely different set of A Levels. If you really don't want to do any A Levels, have you thought about doing an apprenticeship?

Secondly, it is a big decision that you need to think about. If you need to take a year or 2 out to just work and see how you find it, that's perfectly fine. Don't rush this decision
Reply 4
Firstly, a lot of people find year 12 hard, it's a big jump from GCSE, it will take time to get used to. If you feel you're not ready for year 13, you could redo year 12 with a completely different set of A Levels. If you really don't want to do any A Levels, have you thought about doing an apprenticeship?

Secondly, it is a big decision that you need to think about. If you need to take a year or 2 out to just work and see how you find it, that's perfectly fine. Don't rush this decision

if i cant become a pilot id love to work in the aviation field or work in the computer science field, I don't have any interest in A levels but I feel like my computer science A level could come in hand so that's whats keeping me from dropping out. i could do the trade course after my A levels but it would be another 2yrs on top.
Original post by bobuel

Being already halfway through your course it would feel like a waste to throw it away completely, even if you don't currently enjoy your A levels. I have just completed my A levels and I found it challenging this time last year and was considering dropping one (as I was doing 4) but I felt it would be a waste of my time so I pushed on and achieved very good grades in the first 3 and a good one in the 4th so I did get something out of it.
Of course, A levels were essential in getting me to the uni I am starting now but I still think they are a very good accolade to have looking forward when applying for jobs. I raised my predicted grades by a lot in a couple of months from the end of lower sixth to a little way into upper sixth with hard work.
Do whatever feels right for you but if you believe you have it in you to push through for 9 more months and push them up by just one grade to BBB or even ABB you'll have a good foundation to fall back on later on. Apprenticeships etc. are also open so don't feel constricted.
Original post by bobuel
if i cant become a pilot id love to work in the aviation field or work in the computer science field, I don't have any interest in A levels but I feel like my computer science A level could come in hand so that's whats keeping me from dropping out. i could do the trade course after my A levels but it would be another 2yrs on top.

You need to ask yourself, how likely it is that you will go into aviation vs computer science, which would you enjoy more? Are you willing to spend another year studying for your A Levels? What would be your backup plan if you don't get in to aviation?

I'm not sure what a trade course is but if you feel that would be the best course of action and you're willing to spend another 2 years on it, then go for it :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
You need to ask yourself, how likely it is that you will go into aviation vs computer science, which would you enjoy more? Are you willing to spend another year studying for your A Levels? What would be your backup plan if you don't get in to aviation?

I'm not sure what a trade course is but if you feel that would be the best course of action and you're willing to spend another 2 years on it, then go for it :smile:

By trade course i mean vocational courses like electrician and plumbing, although I've never done any practical work so it would be a risk if I dived in and did not enjoy it, ik I don't enjoy revision and learning through books. i think I'm more likely to go into computer science although I could get into aviation through computer science so its not all too bad. Thank you for the replies btw I appreciate the help
Original post by bobuel
By trade course i mean vocational courses like electrician and plumbing, although I've never done any practical work so it would be a risk if I dived in and did not enjoy it, ik I don't enjoy revision and learning through books. i think I'm more likely to go into computer science although I could get into aviation through computer science so its not all too bad. Thank you for the replies btw I appreciate the help

I suppose if you dived in and didn't enjoy it, you would probably only do it long enough to save up for aviation. But then you could also say doing A Levels would be the same thing.

No one really enjoys revision and exams, everyone does it for the end goal. You need to consider if your end goal is worth the time and effort you put in to revision.
Reply 9
I suppose if you dived in and didn't enjoy it, you would probably only do it long enough to save up for aviation. But then you could also say doing A Levels would be the same thing.

No one really enjoys revision and exams, everyone does it for the end goal. You need to consider if your end goal is worth the time and effort you put in to revision.

I think ill stay and push myself to get through this year, afterwards ill head into an electrical course to fund myself for aviation. Then ill have something like my A levels to fall back on if I change my mind in the future.
Original post by bobuel
I think ill stay and push myself to get through this year, afterwards ill head into an electrical course to fund myself for aviation. Then ill have something like my A levels to fall back on if I change my mind in the future.

Good luck
Feel free to pm if u need any help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending