The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official LSE Postgraduate Applicants 2023 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, are my chances to LSE MSc greatly reduced if I do not have any extracurriculars? Thanks
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by eraserpencil
Hi all, are my chances to LSE MSc greatly reduced if I do not have any extracurriculars? Thanks

It always depends. The Admission Committee always looks at the big picture. For instance, having average grades can be okay if you have founded your own company or learned how to build websites in your free time. So I would not over-emphasize the extracurriculars. I am sure you have other aspects in your application you excel in!
Is it a bad idea to put MSc Statistics (Financial Stats) as my first choice and MSc Statistics as my second choice, while using the same personal statement?

I'm worried that my personal statement may not be good enough and hence both will be rejected.
Reply 23
Hey everyone, I applied for the MSc in Applied Social Data Science on 30/10, was told that my application was processed on 08/11, and was informed today (22/11) that I've been put on the waiting list. I'm a bit confused, however, because when they process your application, they literally tell you that offers aren't made until January, so what exactly does being put on the waiting list mean? Do they reject you before January if they don't think you're a good candidate to thin out the pool and put you on the waiting list until January if they actually want to consider you? I'm very confused lol

Also, I saw that someone else got put on the waiting list earlier on this thread, but has anyone received a rejection or an offer?
Putting on the waiting list means they want to consider other applications before making any decision on your application. I think it is there on either UCAS or LSE website you can check .
I don't really get their processing times. Right now they are processing applications that were submitted yesterday. Does that mean that my application (which was uploaded yesterday) will be checked in the next couple of days? I saw many people talking about weeks of waiting time or is processing just the verification of the documents?
Think of processing more in data processing terms. There's a 8-week wait on average for an actual answer
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 27
Hi all I've been thinking about the MSc in social policy, though it asks for an undergraduate degree in a relevant social science subject. I studied History at undergraduate, but I don't think this qualifies. I'm not sure whether I should do something intermediate at Birkbeck while working to qualify.
Original post by AT67
Hi all I've been thinking about the MSc in social policy, though it asks for an undergraduate degree in a relevant social science subject. I studied History at undergraduate, but I don't think this qualifies. I'm not sure whether I should do something intermediate at Birkbeck while working to qualify.

I don't know much about this specific course but my two cents are that you should definitely still apply! History falls somewhere in-between a social science and a humanities. It could be smart to gain some quantitative certifications-- maybe statistics or something, if you didn't in your undergrad (do a module or a summer course), as these skills tend to be the main differentiating factor between humanities students and social sci students. But I think the framing in you PS is super important, really play into the intersection between history and social policy, and show them that you are well rounded enough as a student to handle any empirical stuff they might throw at you! Good luck!!
Hi all!
Current University: Graduated from Top 30 public university in the US in 2019
Degree Title: Master of Social Work
Achieved/Expected Grades: 3.98 GPA
Prospective LSE Course: Social Policy PhD
Country you are from: United States
Plans to submit application on: already submitted
Other Universities and Course you’re applying to: Oxford, Brandeis University, UCLA
I'm always fascinated by the variety of degrees at these universities. Hoping for the best for you!

As for me, still waiting on MSc Finances response. I applied a little bit over 8 weeks ago, I'm on the edge of my seat
Original post by mernicula
I'm always fascinated by the variety of degrees at these universities. Hoping for the best for you!

As for me, still waiting on MSc Finances response. I applied a little bit over 8 weeks ago, I'm on the edge of my seat

You must have applied on the day applications opened!
On the applicant portal, it says that decisions will be returned "within" 8 weeks, so I would
definitely expect a decision coming for you really soon.
Good luck! Hope we can both be at London next year :smile:
Reply 32
I would caution that the communication I have been receiving kept saying that offers will start being made in January. I would personally not hope for anything before the new year.
Original post by yuliyu
I would caution that the communication I have been receiving kept saying that offers will start being made in January. I would personally not hope for anything before the new year.

Yes they do say that, but haven't they always given out results in December every year for early applicants?
If we look at threads for previous years, there were consistently people getting results in December.
Reply 34
Original post by Anonymous
Yes they do say that, but haven't they always given out results in December every year for early applicants?
If we look at threads for previous years, there were consistently people getting results in December.

Entirely possible. I haven't checked the older threads so was just basing my prediction on what I got from them over email. I applied 29 Oct and my application went under review on 4 Nov. Honestly if they stick with 8 weeks I should be hearing back by 30 Dec but who knows lol. Hoping you are right. Do you remember the approximate dates people in previous years applied and when they got their decisions?
Original post by yuliyu
Entirely possible. I haven't checked the older threads so was just basing my prediction on what I got from them over email. I applied 29 Oct and my application went under review on 4 Nov. Honestly if they stick with 8 weeks I should be hearing back by 30 Dec but who knows lol. Hoping you are right. Do you remember the approximate dates people in previous years applied and when they got their decisions?

Well this is one example from last year:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7109118&page=15

In this case they received offers around 15th. Dec. However, admission committees should operate
differently for departments which means that some departments may release decisions much quicker than others. So we never know!
hi

I have also created a thread for lse postgraduate applications

maybe we can merge our threads together?
Reply 37
Well this is one example from last year:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7109118&page=15

In this case they received offers around 15th. Dec. However, admission committees should operate
differently for departments which means that some departments may release decisions much quicker than others. So we never know!

I see. That is good. I would rather receive a potential offer in mid-December than wait till January, haha!

They also seem to be mentioning “transcript drop.” I don’t exactly know what it is and what it would look like since the portal is new for this year.
Original post by yuliyu
I see. That is good. I would rather receive a potential offer in mid-December than wait till January, haha!

They also seem to be mentioning “transcript drop.” I don’t exactly know what it is and what it would look like since the portal is new for this year.

With the old portal, your transcript was not on the bottom of the document stack. The transcript drop describes the "drop" to the bottom of the stack. So you would see all your documents and the bottom one will be your transcript. However, with the new portal, the documents are sorted alphabetically. I doubt we will see a similar "bug" this year
Reply 39
With the old portal, your transcript was not on the bottom of the document stack. The transcript drop describes the "drop" to the bottom of the stack. So you would see all your documents and the bottom one will be your transcript. However, with the new portal, the documents are sorted alphabetically. I doubt we will see a similar "bug" this year

I see. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that some of the documents started showing up as “received” instead of “received - not yet verified” underneath them. So I’m assuming somebody has actually looked at the application. The only materials that still say “received - not yet verified” are the transcripts that I sent. These transcripts appear at the bottom, but I’m sure that’s because the stuff that I submitted is ordered alphabetically.

Do other folks see “received” or “received - not yet verified” for their documents? Might be an interesting experiment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending