The Student Room Group

chat for year 12s thinking ahead on uni applications!

hi! i'm currently in year 12 and looking to find other year 12s who also are aiming for top unis and want to help each other achieve their goals!

reply with your dream course(s) and uni(s)!
mine - geography at oxford, durham, LSE, UCL or birmingham!
(edited 12 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stress17
hi! i'm currently in year 12 and looking to find other year 12s who also are aiming for top unis and want to help each other achieve their goals!

mine - law at oxford

hii, mine is psychology/ chemistry/ law at st andrews or cambridge
hi!!
my dream uni and course is also law at oxford :biggrin: i am also looking at lse and perhaps bristol?

what is everyone doing in terms of extra-cirrculars/super-cirrculars/work experience?
Original post by TazmeenX
hi!!
my dream uni and course is also law at oxford :biggrin: i am also looking at lse and perhaps bristol?

what is everyone doing in terms of extra-cirrculars/super-cirrculars/work experience?

I do alot of volunteering and am part of girl guides. I'm looking to start some sporty extra curriculars or pretty much anything that will make me more well rounded cause I basically only hve arty hobbies. If u hve any ideas of what i could do lmk

I'm looking to do a law or child psychology related work experience. Wht about u guys??
Hey, I’ve seen a lot of you guys are looking to do law. If any of you meet the certain criteria (eg free school meals) then it’s worth looking at the pathways to law programme that certain universities do! It’s a really good opportunity, I just finished it this year
Original post by alyssa.baird
I do alot of volunteering and am part of girl guides. I'm looking to start some sporty extra curriculars or pretty much anything that will make me more well rounded cause I basically only hve arty hobbies. If u hve any ideas of what i could do lmk

I'm looking to do a law or child psychology related work experience. Wht about u guys??

ahhh thats so cool hahah ive always wanted to do girl guides and stuff like that but i never got round to actually doing it :frown:. ive applied to some law experience stuff too but idk how it will turn out hahah.

i'm planning on using the book voucher my school gave me to order some books to talk about in my personal statement. ive also picked up crocheting and am planning on maybe taking some language classes?? i wanted to do taekwondo classes but i need to earn some money first :') boxing could also be a good option?
ahhh thats so cool hahah ive always wanted to do girl guides and stuff like that but i never got round to actually doing it :frown:. ive applied to some law experience stuff too but idk how it will turn out hahah.

i'm planning on using the book voucher my school gave me to order some books to talk about in my personal statement. ive also picked up crocheting and am planning on maybe taking some language classes?? i wanted to do taekwondo classes but i need to earn some money first :') boxing could also be a good option?

guiding is really fun ive been doing it since i was 4 in rainbows lol.
I'm sure it will go well... what kind of law are you looking at doing?

Oh thats a good idea, buying books to talk about. I've been thinking about starting crocheting for a while lol i knit and sew rn lol.

ooo what languages, I started german but i kinda gave up half way through. taekwondo sounds coolll, im not too sure about boxing tho lol i dont think id be too good at that. I want to start a new sport but i hate being a beginner at things

i was thinking i should get a gym membership and get into swimming again and start using the gym but i need to earn some money too lol
guiding is really fun ive been doing it since i was 4 in rainbows lol.
I'm sure it will go well... what kind of law are you looking at doing?

Oh thats a good idea, buying books to talk about. I've been thinking about starting crocheting for a while lol i knit and sew rn lol.

ooo what languages, I started german but i kinda gave up half way through. taekwondo sounds coolll, im not too sure about boxing tho lol i dont think id be too good at that. I want to start a new sport but i hate being a beginner at things

i was thinking i should get a gym membership and get into swimming again and start using the gym but i need to earn some money too lol

damn why are we so broke. istg the school should pay for some of our extracirriculars and stuff like that bc like we need them for uni and stuff its not our choiceeee

but yeah damn gym membership IS SO EXPENSIVE AND FOR WHAT

yeah im thinking abt picking up korean again bc i stopped doing it during gcses and it was on and off before but yeah i really want to get to at least an intermediate level before the end of sixth form. i also want to try keep up my french from gcse hahha

crocheting is acc so fun and imo, as someone who finds it hard to do things w my hands, quite easy to learn. you'll find it easier probably bc you know how to knit and stuff!!
damn why are we so broke. istg the school should pay for some of our extracirriculars and stuff like that bc like we need them for uni and stuff its not our choiceeee

yeah im thinking abt picking up korean again bc i stopped doing it during gcses and it was on and off before but yeah i really want to get to at least an intermediate level before the end of sixth form. i also want to try keep up my french from gcse hahha

crocheting is acc so fun and imo, as someone who finds it hard to do things w my hands, quite easy to learn. you'll find it easier probably bc you know how to knit and stuff!!

extracurriculars arent needed to get you into uni, you need supercurriculars which is reading round your chosen subject or watching lectures n stuff.

ugh frrr money is always the underlying issue especially with school theres so much stuff youve got to get to actually do well and ur right, it's not our choice like we're forced to be there

omg frr personally i think anything to do with taking care of our bodies or health should be free

ooo thats so cool. omg french :/ that brings back trauma lol

yess i prolly will pick it up!!

Are you doing EPQ?? if u are what are u doing it on??
Original post by Tescosman123
extracurriculars arent needed to get you into uni, you need supercurriculars which is reading round your chosen subject or watching lectures n stuff.

I thought that neither of them were mandatory but u should have a mix?
I thought that neither of them were mandatory but u should have a mix?

oxbridge say 80% super 20% extra
ugh frrr money is always the underlying issue especially with school theres so much stuff youve got to get to actually do well and ur right, it's not our choice like we're forced to be there

omg frr personally i think anything to do with taking care of our bodies or health should be free

ooo thats so cool. omg french :/ that brings back trauma lol

yess i prolly will pick it up!!

Are you doing EPQ?? if u are what are u doing it on??

yesss i am doing an epq!! im currently in the midst of dropping chemistry but yes after that i will be picking up an epq. i was hoping to do it on something law based? my head of sixth form suggested i do something about ethics within law or something along those lines? are you doing one? if so what are you doing it on?

mine - law at oxford

my dream course is fine art but I think I'm going to apply for architecture because it's more stable
my dream uni is cambridge! i'll probably apply for ucl too
My dream course is physics and philosophy at Oxford :smile: it has the leading academics in the field and the course looks really interesting!
Reply 15
hi!!

omg awesome, i hope we both achieve our dreams! I'm also thinking of Bristol, although I'm not sure because there's been some major accommodation issues there recently :/ Otherwise I'm considering lse durham exeter york and ucl as options.
in terms of work experience i've recently been reaching out to firms, but it's really hard to get in person wex these days for our age group it seems. i've bought the secret barrister books and i'm going to begin reading them this week. i'm also planning on doing my epq on something roman law based as I do latin a level, and i thought that would tie it all together nicely. also part of law soc with my school, joining debate club and hopefully model UN. i'm arranging volunteering at the moment too! i'd recommend finding online lectures/moocs that link your a levels and law because they've been really interesting for me :]
i need some ideas for extra curriculars!
Reply 16
Original post by MayaVellichor
My dream course is physics and philosophy at Oxford :smile: it has the leading academics in the field and the course looks really interesting!

that's an awesome course! i have a friend interested in it too who's a year 12!
Reply 17
Original post by mymelo
my dream course is fine art but I think I'm going to apply for architecture because it's more stable
my dream uni is cambridge! i'll probably apply for ucl too

that's awesome! i'd say follow your dreams personally, if you're really passionate about fine art and get into a top uni you have a great chance of a job in studying it further or something!
that's an awesome course! i have a friend interested in it too who's a year 12!

That's so cool! It is rare to find someone who wants to do the same course :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by MayaVellichor
That's so cool! It is rare to find someone who wants to do the same course :smile:

yeahh it's super small right? an awesome thing to be interested in though I wish i liked physics

Quick Reply

Latest