The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE BSc Economics 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Griff Dog
Although I'm not the person in question - I can confirm I haven't had any promotional material and I applied in September. The only email I did get was about filling in an applicant form a few days after I applied where I said I was taking the tmua. In January I received another email asking for my tmua score (only because there was a mess up on their end)

Ohh that is a relief !! Thank you for replying.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Anonymous
Ohh that is a relief !! Thank you for replying.

Now we just wait...
So no emails after that ? Not even a promotional email or any news letter or anything else ?
Was that the only email received from lse ?

i got an information request about admissions tests and further maths
did work experience with PWC or natwest?

I did no work experience either lol, just Sutton trust
Original post by oprahwindfuryy
i got an information request about admissions tests and further maths

strange.. cause I didn't get any of that .. I did take further maths .. did you apply to oxbridge?
I did no work experience either lol, just Sutton trust

Thanks..
strange.. cause I didn't get any of that .. I did take further maths .. did you apply to oxbridge?

nope..but i'm international, maybe it's that?
(edited 1 year ago)
I got a TMUA 4.9 and still got my Econ offer yesterday. Predicted Grades were 4 A*s though including Further Maths.
for those who got an offer what do you think made your application ( and specifically PS) successful? For instance, did you talk about lse stuff in your PS?
for those who got an offer what do you think made your application ( and specifically PS) successful? For instance, did you talk about lse stuff in your PS?

nope - i hadnt really looked at the course structure in proper detail. I simply talked about the books i enjoyed reading - what i learnt from them etc. I talked about a small project+essay prize and the odd thing here and there too. No need to overcomplicate a ps as you may end up talking too little about too much, Also work experiance is defo not a necessity.
nope - i hadnt really looked at the course structure in proper detail. I simply talked about the books i enjoyed reading - what i learnt from them etc. I talked about a small project+essay prize and the odd thing here and there too. No need to overcomplicate a ps as you may end up talking too little about too much, Also work experiance is defo not a necessity.

what was this project + essay that you did? Is it something anyone can go for?
Does anyone know if this is true: if you get rejected later then it means you were closer to getting an offer?
what was this project + essay that you did? Is it something anyone can go for?

The essay was the Dorian fisher memorial prize - they do stuff a couple times a year but any essay comp works. The statistical project was some random work on R programming I did which I linked with the essay prize - so yes anyone can. (Although I did pay £16 in total for two R programming online tutorials which were great as you worked along side the video)
(edited 1 year ago)
The essay was the Dorian fisher memorial prize - they do stuff a couple times a year but any essay comp works. The statistical project was some random work on R programming I did which I linked with the essay prize - so yes anyone can. (Although I did pay £16 in total for two R programming online tutorials which were great as you worked along side the video)

I suppose it is a good idea to enter these essay competitions because even if you don't win, you can still write about it in your PS.

Did you (or know of anyone) get an offer without Further Maths? Since I've heard there is not much in applying if you don't do FM.
I suppose it is a good idea to enter these essay competitions because even if you don't win, you can still write about it in your PS.

Did you (or know of anyone) get an offer without Further Maths? Since I've heard there is not much in applying if you don't do FM.

saw one guy on reddit without fm. theres always still a chance - but yes if your school offered fm and you didnt take it its quite risky
saw one guy on reddit without fm. theres always still a chance - but yes if your school offered fm and you didnt take it its quite risky

Yeah it's a bit annoying - the plan was to do FM but the confidence wasn't there at the start of sixth form. It has picked up now but it's a bit too late to add an extra A level.

Something they said on open day is that you may be able to make up for it if you can show you have done work to fill the gaps left by not doing FM. For example, you could follow Imperial college‘s MOOC on A level Further Maths and cover the most important areas like stats, pure (other than geometry/trig). It may help for places like LSE and wouldn’t hurt any Econ PS elsewhere. Good luck 🤞
Original post by TooTaxing
Something they said on open day is that you may be able to make up for it if you can show you have done work to fill the gaps left by not doing FM. For example, you could follow Imperial college‘s MOOC on A level Further Maths and cover the most important areas like stats, pure (other than geometry/trig). It may help for places like LSE and wouldn’t hurt any Econ PS elsewhere. Good luck 🤞

Oh ok
hey guys I just got my offer, I am wondering do you have any whatsapp gc for Econ 2023/24? Thank u very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending