The Student Room Group

Muslim guys, would you be a househusband or like the idea?

Hello. I’m a Muslim female and would find housewife duties boring. I’d rather get a very high-paying job to give my househusband and kids anything they wanted.

I’m just asking if this would be a turn off for guys.

- I want 3 kids. Or 4
- He can do whatever he wants in his free time
- Holidays are paid by me, ideally a moderate to high amount of holidays
- I’ll buy him and our kids lots of gifts
- MAY include a cat later on, if I think the kids will bear with the cat’s eventual death

Don’t spare my feelings. Would this be a turn off? Ideally I’d like to know the reason.
Salaam sister if your husband acknowledges ur feelings and how the world crisis is going at the moment with living expenses I’d say it’s 2 ways, 3 actually,
1.the husband says no
2 he understands and maybe you get a part time job and try do housewife duties
3.he understands and you get a full time job and you both work together financially, doing house duties but being married you need time with each other too that maintains such a healthy bless marriage.
Overall I would say 3 is the best in my opinion
Salam sister
There's two key verses to consider here:
The first one points to the moral and spiritual equality of men and women '...And they (the women) have rights similar and equal to those (of men) over them in equity...' (2:228)
'Men are the protectors and maintainers of women with what Allah has favoured one over the other' (4:34)
The second Ayah is referring to the general physical strength (as scientifically proven) that God has favoured men with over women.
Through that, it's ordained that a man should protect his wife physically from harm and provide for her (maintain her) economically.
That's not to say you can't work a full or part time job that you want to do and it's not to say that you can't contribute to household finances if you want to, but you should know that you have no obigation to do that if you don't want to. If you do and your husband accepts that then it's a voluntary kindness from you and your husband should be appreciative. Furthermore, your income from your job is yours alone while his income belongs to you and him and he's obliged to spend on you from it.
As regards housework and houseduties there is nothing wrong with your husband helping you with housework or even you sharing housework equally between you. However, if he is working full time and you are not working or working part time you should consider how fair this is on him. If he does go above and beyond to do that then you should be appreciative of him and acknowledge it as a kindness from him. (Also a Sunnah of the Prophet pbuh :smile:)
If it really bothers you then an easy way to get past this issue is to hire a domestic helper to do housework for you on a weekly basis which shouldn't be too difficult to commit to if you really don't like housework and want to work instead. As for whether your husband should stay at home and do these homemaking activities without working... I would strongly not advise that unless he has some ailment or other that prevents him from working as this would go against the second verse mentioned here.
Allah knows best
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hello. I’m a Muslim female and would find housewife duties boring. I’d rather get a very high-paying job to give my househusband and kids anything they wanted.

- I want 3 kids. Or 4
- MAY include a cat later on, if I think the kids will bear with the cat’s eventual death

Don’t spare my feelings. Would this be a turn off? Ideally I’d like to know the reason.

Salaam sister household duties between husband and wife in my opinion should be equally shared in all honesty and a well paid high job for both yourself and husband can be flexible around both your duties at home definitely. That’s the whole purpose of us pursuing education so that we can obtain a degree and a field in our choice that pays off well and to promote fairness and equality between both. I wouldn’t allow that much freedom for the husband when you say do whatever he wants what exactly, when you are away at work you would expect him to have the household cleaning, the looking after of kids and making of food prepared… Holidays and gifts should equally be split not only should the husband feel loved but wife just gets as much or more and has the right to feel special and loved by her man. I would definitely like the idea of a family pet our prophet muhammed sawm pbuh loved cats and I too want a cat of my own to start off my family in the future. Isn’t a turn off though I justified my thoughts to you why…
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mohammed_80
Salaam sister household duties between husband and wife in my opinion should be equally shared in all honesty and a well paid high job for both yourself and husband can be flexible around both your duties at home definitely. That’s the whole purpose of us pursuing education so that we can obtain a degree and a field in our choice that pays off well and to promote fairness and equality between both. I wouldn’t allow that much freedom for the husband when you say do whatever he wants what exactly, when you are away at work you would expect him to have the household cleaning, the looking after of kids and making of food prepared… Holidays and gifts should equally be split not only should the husband feel loved but wife just gets as much or more and has the right to feel special and loved by her man. I would definitely like the idea of a family pet our prophet muhammed sawm pbuh loved cats and I too want a cat of my own to start off my family in the future. Isn’t a turn off though I justified my thoughts to you why…

To add to this point if we don’t ever learn how to do our duties when will we ever. :smile:

- I want 3 kids. Or 4

Where do I sign up? :yeah:

4 children sounds great!
I will happily arrange all the holidays and mini-breaks.
Gifts not necessary.
I will do all the food shopping & cooking to a reasonable standard of being healthy and delicious and taking advantage of seasonal ingredients. I will do all the cleaning, washing, ironing etc. All the house repairs and renovations. Car servicing and basic repairs. Manage the household budget.
No domestic helper will be required.
I will protect you to the limits of what I'm physically capable of. You and the children would be the joint best maintained people in the world. Because it's not just about material stuff, fancy gadgets, status symbols etc, it's about maintaining and developing the emotional, mental, spiritual side that really counts.

As for sharing the duties, with you looking at 37.5+ hours per week at your job plus travel time, I'd see it as a very fair division of duties if you never raised a finger when you got home.

Having said all that, I think it would be fair to say that I may be somewhat of an outlier in terms of how delighted (and content in the long term) I'd be with such a marriage and in terms of my domestic practical skill-set.

- I want 3 kids. Or 4

It'd almost definitely be a turn-off.
You can split house duties, you don't need 1 partner to strictly do a specific role like a housewife/husband would.
My best friend and I were talking about almost the same thing this morning.
She's a follower of the shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.

I know 5 asian couples with this type of arrangement.
The high powered uk raised wife works long hours and pays all the bills while the husband raised overseas mostly stays home to take care of the children & housework.
One husband also volunteers for a religious charity in his spare time and to cover this his wife pays for a professional cleaning agency to send cleaners thrice a week.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Where do I sign up? :yeah:

4 children sounds great!
I will happily arrange all the holidays and mini-breaks.
Gifts not necessary.
I will do all the food shopping & cooking to a reasonable standard of being healthy and delicious and taking advantage of seasonal ingredients. I will do all the cleaning, washing, ironing etc. All the house repairs and renovations. Car servicing and basic repairs. Manage the household budget.
No domestic helper will be required.
I will protect you to the limits of what I'm physically capable of. You and the children would be the joint best maintained people in the world. Because it's not just about material stuff, fancy gadgets, status symbols etc, it's about maintaining and developing the emotional, mental, spiritual side that really counts.

As for sharing the duties, with you looking at 37.5+ hours per week at your job plus travel time, I'd see it as a very fair division of duties if you never raised a finger when you got home.

Having said all that, I think it would be fair to say that I may be somewhat of an outlier in terms of how delighted (and content in the long term) I'd be with such a marriage and in terms of my domestic practical skill-set.

Damn! You’d make a great husband and father. Are you looking for marriage? :wink: I’d spoil you to filth

I’m happy knowing there’s guys like you. Thank you for your post
Damn! You’d make a great husband and father. Are you looking for marriage? :wink: I’d spoil you to filth

I’m happy knowing there’s guys like you. Thank you for your post

I am always open to the right offer. :hugs:

The offer you outlined in the opening post is a great one.
Original post by Elriktab
Salam sister
There's two key verses to consider here:
The first one points to the moral and spiritual equality of men and women '...And they (the women) have rights similar and equal to those (of men) over them in equity...' (2:228)
'Men are the protectors and maintainers of women with what Allah has favoured one over the other' (4:34)
The second Ayah is referring to the general physical strength (as scientifically proven) that God has favoured men with over women.
Through that, it's ordained that a man should protect his wife physically from harm and provide for her (maintain her) economically.
That's not to say you can't work a full or part time job that you want to do and it's not to say that you can't contribute to household finances if you want to, but you should know that you have no obigation to do that if you don't want to. If you do and your husband accepts that then it's a voluntary kindness from you and your husband should be appreciative. Furthermore, your income from your job is yours alone while his income belongs to you and him and he's obliged to spend on you from it.
As regards housework and houseduties there is nothing wrong with your husband helping you with housework or even you sharing housework equally between you. However, if he is working full time and you are not working or working part time you should consider how fair this is on him. If he does go above and beyond to do that then you should be appreciative of him and acknowledge it as a kindness from him. (Also a Sunnah of the Prophet pbuh :smile:)
If it really bothers you then an easy way to get past this issue is to hire a domestic helper to do housework for you on a weekly basis which shouldn't be too difficult to commit to if you really don't like housework and want to work instead. As for whether your husband should stay at home and do these homemaking activities without working... I would strongly not advise that unless he has some ailment or other that prevents him from working as this would go against the second verse mentioned here.
Allah knows best

Hii

Latest

Trending

Trending