The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for AI MSc. Need help.

Hi there. I'm applying to do an AI MSc and need help with the personal statement part. As a maths graduate I love problems that have a solution and a concrete answer, so I'm really struggling with this.

In particular, I'm having difficulty with the structure of the personal statement. On some university websites they say 2nd paragraph should be explaining my interest in their particular course, however I recently got feedback from a professor, who said my 2nd paragraph should be more about my background (degree, what I've done since graduating, etc.) Currently, my statement structure is:

1st paragraph - How I got interested in AI and my career goal.
2nd - What interests me about this specific course (details about specific modules they offer, or events they host, etc.)
3rd - A bit more information why I'm interested in this particular course. Perhaps more extra curricular related, or employment/networking related.
4th - Why I am suited to the course/what I can offer/my skills etc.
5th - Short conclusion summing up the course aligning with my goals and why I'd be a good fit.

Would appreciate any advice/opinions. I'm a little frustrated because I've spent so many hours, days, weeks, months on this and there is no clear answer unlike with maths. Everyone seems to have different, and contradictory opinions, and because I am so used to rejection at this point, I am freaking out over whether I am doing something wrong. Thanks for reading.
Original post by DavidJES
Hi there. I'm applying to do an AI MSc and need help with the personal statement part. As a maths graduate I love problems that have a solution and a concrete answer, so I'm really struggling with this.

In particular, I'm having difficulty with the structure of the personal statement. On some university websites they say 2nd paragraph should be explaining my interest in their particular course, however I recently got feedback from a professor, who said my 2nd paragraph should be more about my background (degree, what I've done since graduating, etc.) Currently, my statement structure is:

2nd - What interests me about this specific course (details about specific modules they offer, or events they host, etc.)
3rd - A bit more information why I'm interested in this particular course. Perhaps more extra curricular related, or employment/networking related.
5th - Short conclusion summing up the course aligning with my goals and why I'd be a good fit.

Would appreciate any advice/opinions. I'm a little frustrated because I've spent so many hours, days, weeks, months on this and there is no clear answer unlike with maths. Everyone seems to have different, and contradictory opinions, and because I am so used to rejection at this point, I am freaking out over whether I am doing something wrong. Thanks for reading

My personal statement goes something like this:

1st paragraph: Focus on the one reason why I want to apply for MSc degree.

2nd paragraph: Why UCL attracts me? specific module and lecturer

3rd paragraph: my curriculum in undergraduate studies. Modules that are related to the MSc degree.

4th paragraph: Career vision, tell them what you plan ahead after graduation
5th paragraph: conclusion, reemphasized your reason and goals. Include some of your best qualities that may help you complete the MSc degree
Font: 12 (Arial)
Character including spaces less than 4000 (it's better to fit in one page under standard margin)

Keep your sentences short and precise (on point) and I guess you will be fine.

I hope it helps.
Reply 2
Original post by yikhonglol
My personal statement goes something like this:

1st paragraph: Focus on the one reason why I want to apply for MSc degree.

2nd paragraph: Why UCL attracts me? specific module and lecturer

3rd paragraph: my curriculum in undergraduate studies. Modules that are related to the MSc degree.

4th paragraph: Career vision, tell them what you plan ahead after graduation
5th paragraph: conclusion, reemphasized your reason and goals. Include some of your best qualities that may help you complete the MSc degree
Font: 12 (Arial)
Character including spaces less than 4000 (it's better to fit in one page under standard margin)

Keep your sentences short and precise (on point) and I guess you will be fine.

I hope it helps.

Hi, thanks for your post. :smile: Yes it is helpful to me. I'm going to structure most of my applications with my undergraduate studies/skills in 3 or 4th paragraph, rather than 2nd. It feels odd to disagree with a professor, however, every other source of information is saying that this should be later, and instead a second paragraph should be more focused on why one is applying to this specific course etc.

Thanks and good luck with your applications. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by DavidJES

Would appreciate any advice/opinions. I'm a little frustrated because I've spent so many hours, days, weeks, months on this and there is no clear answer unlike with maths. Everyone seems to have different, and contradictory opinions, and because I am so used to rejection at this point, I am freaking out over whether I am doing something wrong. Thanks for reading.

Hi I wanted to PM you on another platform I was just curious to know more about how life is going from the post you made 4 years ago?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending