The Student Room Group

Got rejected from my 1st choice what are my options?

So in October, I submitted my ucas application, applying to for psychology/psychology & neuroscience. My top choice was KCL (Psychology & Neuroscience) but they rejected me saying: Unfortunately, your qualifications do not meet a subject requirement which is necessary for entry to this programme therefore we are unable to consider your application any further. I still really want to go to this university and was wondering what I could do to have a chance of going. I haven't sat my a levels yet so i applied with predicted grades.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
was there a mistake somewhere? considering you would have known the entry requirements and i assume you applied knowing you met them, so maybe inquire about that?
Original post by Shakira_oforixx
So in October, I submitted my ucas application, applying to for psychology/psychology & neuroscience. My top choice was KCL (Psychology & Neuroscience) but they rejected me saying: Unfortunately, your qualifications do not meet a subject requirement which is necessary for entry to this programme therefore we are unable to consider your application any further. I still really want to go to this university and was wondering what I could do to have a chance of going.

WHat are you missing? The subject requirements are clearly stated on their website; https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/neuroscience-and-psychology-bsc You can either take a gap year and try and obtain the required subject qualifications, but this could be expensive as you may not be eligible for the extra funding, or you could go to another of your choices.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ace.ms
was there a mistake somewhere? considering you would have known the entry requirements and i assume you applied knowing you met them, so maybe inquire about that?

So in October, I submitted my ucas application, applying to for psychology/psychology & neuroscience. My top choice was KCL (Psychology & Neuroscience) but they rejected me saying: Unfortunately, your qualifications do not meet a subject requirement which is necessary for entry to this programme therefore we are unable to consider your application any further. I still really want to go to this university and was wondering what I could do to have a chance of going.

If you dont meet a subject requirement you are not going to get in.

Your option is to take up one of your other offers or take a gap year and sit the subject you are missing.

Why did you apply when you didnt meet a subject requirement. It is an automatic rejection.
The entry requirement is AAA I am currently predicted AAAB, but they wanted an A in 2 sciences I only have 1 A prediction (Bio is predicted B), I had been struggling with issues at home which I had made them aware of. I submitted with those predictions as my mocks were due to be this month but ended up getting pushed forward so we did them last month, my teacher recommended to me that I should submit it now if everything else is ready as the Janurary mocks would've been too late had I waited

Original post by Ace.ms
The entry requirement is AAA I am currently predicted AAAB, but they wanted an A in 2 sciences I only have 1 A prediction (Bio is predicted B), I had been struggling with issues at home which I had made them aware of. I submitted with those predictions as my mocks were due to be this month but ended up getting pushed forward so we did them last month, my teacher recommended to me that I should submit it now if everything else is ready as the Janurary mocks would've been too late had I waited

If a university wants 2 sciences and you have 1 it is an automatic rejection. You were badly advised to apply without being aware you faced a likely rejection

Your number one priority should be meeting their typical offer in full, (and I would consider dropping another one of your subjects if KCL is your goal).

Results day - ring them up regardless of whether it's showing in clearing or not. you might get lucky.

If not, take a gap year and apply with achieved grades.

Original post by swanseajack1
If a university wants 2 sciences and you have 1 it is an automatic rejection. You were badly advised to apply without being aware you faced a likely rejection

I think they might be saying they have a B predicted in one science and one of their A's is another science, But not terribly clear.

I have 2 sciences (they count psych as a science) i am predicted an A in psych but a B in bio
(edited 1 year ago)
I have 2 sciences (they count psych as a science) i am predicted an A in psych but a B in bio

If you have 2 sciences and they accept Psychology as 1 of them you have met the requirement. What students often miss is that for things like Psychology there is usually a GCSE requirement in Maths. Do you meet that.
For neuroscience you requirs grade As in Chemistry and Biology. That might well be your problem but the only people who can answer this is admissions at Kings.

A-level (or equivalent) grade A in Biology and Chemistry.
If you have 2 sciences and they accept Psychology as 1 of them you have met the requirement. What students often miss is that for things like Psychology there is usually a GCSE requirement in Maths. Do you meet that.

I meet the GCSE requirements they wanted an A in 2 sciences since im predicted a B in biology and an A in psych they said i don't meet the requirements. Thats why i wanted to see what my options are since I haven't sat my actual exams yet
I applied for the joint course of neuroscience and psychology so chemistry wasn't a required subject

For neuroscience you requirs grade As in Chemistry and Biology. That might well be your problem but the only people who can answer this is admissions at Kings.

A-level (or equivalent) grade A in Biology and Chemistry.
I applied for the joint course of neuroscience and psychology so chemistry wasn't a required subject

The only people who can answer why you have been rejected are Kings. You are saying you dont meet the predicted grades in Biology. It could be that.

Top London universities are massively oversubscribed and if you dont meet a requirement rejection follows. Last year Kings hadnt let all applicants know by the deadline so ucas sent out 1000s of rejections. This type of course at Kings is highly unlikely to be in clearing. You can check in August but the likelyhood is you are either going to go elsewhere or achieve the appropriate subject grade Kings want.

Your best option is to ring Kings tomorrow so they can explain why you were rejected. Even if you meet all the requirements you might still rejected due to the immense competition in Kings.
So in October, I submitted my ucas application, applying to for psychology/psychology & neuroscience. My top choice was KCL (Psychology & Neuroscience) but they rejected me saying: Unfortunately, your qualifications do not meet a subject requirement which is necessary for entry to this programme therefore we are unable to consider your application any further. I still really want to go to this university and was wondering what I could do to have a chance of going. I haven't sat my a levels yet so i applied with predicted grades.

Put your desire to go to KCL on the back burner for now. you presumably have other offers so put what would have been your insurance as your firm and one you might have just rejected as your insurance (please make sure you like these choices). That's all you can do really now until you get your results.

Once you have your results look to see if Kings have any clearing spaces on Psychology & Neuroscience and that you meet the grade requirements. If you meet them self release yourself into clearing and give them a ring. If not go to new firm if you still feel like you want to go to Kings once your there work as hard as you can and try to get a transfer. Aside from that there really isn't that much you can do you applied and they said no.

Who knows you might get to new firm and love it so much you won't want to leave and go elsewhere.
(edited 1 year ago)
The entry requirement is AAA I am currently predicted AAAB, but they wanted an A in 2 sciences I only have 1 A prediction (Bio is predicted B), I had been struggling with issues at home which I had made them aware of. I submitted with those predictions as my mocks were due to be this month but ended up getting pushed forward so we did them last month, my teacher recommended to me that I should submit it now if everything else is ready as the January mocks would've been too late had I waited

If you have 1A but they require two, it is an automatic rejection. They won't even bother looking at the rest of your application. As for these extenuating circumstances you have mentioned, do they definitively lower your grades? Did you speak to KCL admissions beforehand to ask them under what exact circumstances grades can be reduced?

As for submitting your uni app early, your teacher is wrong. 25 Jan is the equal consideration deadline and all applications sent before this date will be considered equally. There is no advantage submitting your application early since admissions does not check them in order.

What other unis have you applied to? Do you meet their criteria in full?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sleep_supremacy
If you have 1A but they require two, it is an automatic rejection. They won't even bother looking at the rest of your application. As for these extenuating circumstances you have mentioned, do they definitively lower your grades? Did you speak to KCL admissions beforehand to ask them under what exact circumstances grades can be reduced?

As for submitting your uni app early, your teacher is wrong. 25 Jan is the equal consideration deadline and all applications sent before this date will be considered equally. There is no advantage submitting your application early since admissions does not check them in order.

What other unis have you applied to? Do you meet their criteria in full?

OP is taking 2 Science A levels - Biology & Psychology and they accept Psychology as a science for the course she wants to do. It is likely the B predicted grade that is the problem. So no way in unless Kings have vacancies in Clearing or OP gets AAA and takes a year out and reapplies next year.
Original post by harrysbar
OP is taking 2 Science A levels - Biology & Psychology and they accept Psychology as a science for the course she wants to do. It is likely the B predicted grade that is the problem. So no way in unless Kings have vacancies in Clearing or OP gets AAA and takes a year out and reapplies next year.

Oh, I must've gotten confused then! :redface: Thanks for clearing that up :smile: I'm not sure if this course ends up in Clearing or not, but I'm willing to bet on no. Still, there's no harm in asking admissions about it.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Oh, I must've gotten confused then! :redface: Thanks for clearing that up :smile: I'm not sure if this course ends up in Clearing or not, but I'm willing to bet on no. Still, there's no harm in asking admissions about it.

UCL is one of about 1/2 dozen universities that never enters clearing every year
UCL is one of about 1/2 dozen universities that never enters clearing every year

Wasn't OP referring to KCL?
(Original post by sleep_supremacy)Wasn't OP referring to KCL?

Both the Maths issue is UCL although OP has stated they will accept a grade 5 in Maths for a contextual offer. UCL is the only university that I have come across that requires grade 6 GCSE Maths for Law. Their vice provost says they only accept 2-3 students below grade 6 each year and they are mainly mature students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending