The Student Room Group

Got rejected from my 1st choice what are my options?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by sleep_supremacy)Wasn't OP referring to KCL?

Both the Maths issue is UCL although OP has stated they will accept a grade 5 in Maths for a contextual offer. UCL is the only university that I have come across that requires grade 6 GCSE Maths for Law. Their vice provost says they only accept 2-3 students below grade 6 each year and they are mainly mature students.

:thumbsup:
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Oh, I must've gotten confused then! :redface: Thanks for clearing that up :smile: I'm not sure if this course ends up in Clearing or not, but I'm willing to bet on no. Still, there's no harm in asking admissions about it.

I agree it’s unlikely Kings will be in Clearing for this course, though you never know. A more likely route would be for OP to take a year out if they got AAA with As in Biology & Psychology in the exams. Though even then there would be no guarantee of an offer from Kings the following cycle.
Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by sleep_supremacy)Wasn't OP referring to KCL?

Both the Maths issue is UCL although OP has stated they will accept a grade 5 in Maths for a contextual offer. UCL is the only university that I have come across that requires grade 6 GCSE Maths for Law. Their vice provost says they only accept 2-3 students below grade 6 each year and they are mainly mature students.

I'm curious, how do you know this? Is there a source for this sort of stuff anywhere or do you work with unis?
I wish you all the best in your final exams, and that you would attain 2 As in 2 sciences. When you do, you should contact KCL and ask them if they have a vacancy for Psy Neuro for you, making sure to mention you had applied earlier and was rejected due to your B in predicted grades. There is a possibility that they may have a spot for you if there are others who failed to meet their conditions on results day. And sometimes, depending on when you ask, the vacancy may not even have been posted in Clearing yet. Good luck!

PS: I don't know what you have to do before results day ... I think you have to firm and insure 2 other choices first. Maybe @PQ can advise on the process.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Admit-One
Your number one priority should be meeting their typical offer in full, (and I would consider dropping another one of your subjects if KCL is your goal).

Results day - ring them up regardless of whether it's showing in clearing or not. you might get lucky.

If not, take a gap year and apply with achieved grades.

I think they might be saying they have a B predicted in one science and one of their A's is another science, But not terribly clear.

Is this a post covid thing? When I applied for 2020 entry for Economics at Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham, Exeter, York, I was predicted A*AB with a B in Maths which falls short of the absolute requirement of Bath & Birmingham (maybe Nottingham too idk) bcos they wanted an A in maths. Not from a low income/low progression area + went to grammar school. Got 5/5 offers. Just curious if it's gotten a lot more strict now?
I would strongly recommend contacting them for more details on the reason for rejection. Subject requirements are usually only stated if an applicant doesn’t study the correct A levels or doesn’t have the required GCSEs - that reason wouldn’t normally be stated if an applicant has predicted grades too low.
Original post by The_Architect
I'm curious, how do you know this? Is there a source for this sort of stuff anywhere or do you work with unis?

Its down to years of exprience.
Original post by Shakira_oforixx
So in October, I submitted my ucas application, applying to for psychology/psychology & neuroscience. My top choice was KCL (Psychology & Neuroscience) but they rejected me saying: Unfortunately, your qualifications do not meet a subject requirement which is necessary for entry to this programme therefore we are unable to consider your application any further. I still really want to go to this university and was wondering what I could do to have a chance of going. I haven't sat my a levels yet so i applied with predicted grades.

You can in-theory check clearing however if this course is really as selective as im predicted a B they auto reject anyone without an A then id say its probably a very long shot at this.

Essentially you have a couple choices:
1) Check if they have a foundation year and ask to be considered for this - (although they probably would have already offered this if they could have, but worth checking)
2i) Move on & accept it for what it is ii) consider checking clearing on results day with no expectations it will pan out
3) Reapply next year

As other posters have mentioned, are you absolutely sure its the B in A-level Bio, the specific wording you used sounds more like your missing something rather then a slight prediction discrepancy. But maybe they are just using the standard wording they use for all rejections...

I would also say university is not really about where you go & more about what you achieve. There are lots of other excellent institutions and the name on the door is just that a name, your desires, motivations & work ethic will determine everything you achieve at university.
Original post by fooshfee779
Is this a post covid thing? When I applied for 2020 entry for Economics at Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham, Exeter, York, I was predicted A*AB with a B in Maths which falls short of the absolute requirement of Bath & Birmingham (maybe Nottingham too idk) bcos they wanted an A in maths. Not from a low income/low progression area + went to grammar school. Got 5/5 offers. Just curious if it's gotten a lot more strict now?

No, it's more a course by course thing. Obviously you can still get an offer and accepted onto a course without meeting the stated offer, but depending on how oversubscribed they are in a given year, it may be stumbling block. I am not overly surprised about your outcomes with the possible exception of Bath, but loads of unis give aspirational offers. It gives them leeway to accept/decline on results day depending on numbers.
Original post by mnot
You can in-theory check clearing however if this course is really as selective as im predicted a B they auto reject anyone without an A then id say its probably a very long shot at this.

Essentially you have a couple choices:
1) Check if they have a foundation year and ask to be considered for this - (although they probably would have already offered this if they could have, but worth checking)
2i) Move on & accept it for what it is ii) consider checking clearing on results day with no expectations it will pan out
3) Reapply next year

As other posters have mentioned, are you absolutely sure its the B in A-level Bio, the specific wording you used sounds more like your missing something rather then a slight prediction discrepancy. But maybe they are just using the standard wording they use for all rejections...

I would also say university is not really about where you go & more about what you achieve. There are lots of other excellent institutions and the name on the door is just that a name, your desires, motivations & work ethic will determine everything you achieve at university.

The wording that i used for the repsonse i got from them is copied & pasted directly from my application. That was the only reasoning i had received from them.
The wording that i used for the repsonse i got from them is copied & pasted directly from my application. That was the only reasoning i had received from them.

I understand that, I meant are you sure you interpreted it as the B in biology and definitely not a different reason, based on the specific language they used generally this would indicate you were missing something not a low prediction.
Original post by mnot
I understand that, I meant are you sure you interpreted it as the B in biology and definitely not a different reason, based on the specific language they used generally this would indicate you were missing something not a low prediction.

Well i meet their GCSE requirements, and the subject requirement only stated having at least 2 science which i have since psychology was included in the list. I don't know if its too late to speak to them about this because I had heard back from them on the 17th November.

Which is why we’re saying that you need to ask them for more details/explanation. That reason doesn’t make sense if you have the right A level subjects and GCSE grades.

It’s likely that they have either put the wrong reason for rejection or they’ve rejected you by mistake.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PQ
Which is why we’re saying that you need to ask them for more details/explanation. That reason doesn’t make sense if you have the right A level subjects and GCSE grades.

It’s likely that they have either put the wrong reason for rejection or they’ve rejected you by mistake.

Is it too late for me to contact them since I heard back from the on the 17th November or would I still be able to speak to them about it?
Is it too late for me to contact them since I heard back from the on the 17th November or would I still be able to speak to them about it?

Ring them today to ask who to contact by email to query the reason for rejection
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PQ
Ring them today to ask who to contact by email to query the reason for rejection

will definitely ring them today I found a page on their website about undergrad requirements in general and found this: Our conditional offers are based on three A-level subjects. If you are studying four or more A-level subjects, we will take the highest three grades into consideration for assessment. High achievement in additional A-level subjects may compensate for an applicant who narrowly fails to achieve the A-level offer.
I don't want to jump to conclusions but there could be a chance that they may have missed out the fact that I do have the required subject if they only considered my subjects with A predictions
Update on this I guess… my application ended up getting checked again because they ignored my mitigating circumstances form. Got a response today saying that my circumstances haven’t affected the outcome since the course is very competitive even with additional consideration it’s still a rejection.
Update on this I guess… my application ended up getting checked again because they ignored my mitigating circumstances form. Got a response today saying that my circumstances haven’t affected the outcome since the course is very competitive even with additional consideration it’s still a rejection.

I’m sorry to hear that :frown: Do you meet the entry requirements in full for the other unis you applied to?
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I’m sorry to hear that :frown: Do you meet the entry requirements in full for the other unis you applied to?

Manchester no (they rejected me the same day kings originally rejected me), I have offers for Bristol (contextual) and Leicester (going to the offer holder day tomorrow). So now I’m just waiting on Edinburgh I did their contextual offer test thing and it said I’d be given a flag so I think that means they’ll be looking for AAA (I have this) instead of A*AA.
Manchester no (they rejected me the same day kings originally rejected me), I have offers for Bristol (contextual) and Leicester (going to the offer holder day tomorrow). So now I’m just waiting on Edinburgh I did their contextual offer test thing and it said I’d be given a flag so I think that means they’ll be looking for AAA (I have this) instead of A*AA.

Bristol is an excellent university every bit as good as Kings or Manchester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending