The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Plagiarism

I'm applying for 2023 intake and ive got two offer letters (manchester and bath) in Oct 2022.
However I got a decision from UCL which claims my application hasnt been honored because my SOP has been flagged for plagiarism. So this is where i need help :
1) Can i appeal it? Since i've got 2 offer letters without any notifications pointing out for plagiarism, i feel its out of the blue that all universities have honored my application but UCL hasnt. Had it actually been plagiarism wouldnt my other choices have turned me down as well
/
2) Someone kindly walk me through as to where do i check what portion has been flagged, i dont see any notifications or messages in my UCAS portal regarding the same.
Original post by 2plus2is6
I'm applying for 2023 intake and ive got two offer letters (manchester and bath) in Oct 2022.
However I got a decision from UCL which claims my application hasnt been honored because my SOP has been flagged for plagiarism. So this is where i need help :
1) Can i appeal it? Since i've got 2 offer letters without any notifications pointing out for plagiarism, i feel its out of the blue that all universities have honored my application but UCL hasnt. Had it actually been plagiarism wouldnt my other choices have turned me down as well
/
2) Someone kindly walk me through as to where do i check what portion has been flagged, i dont see any notifications or messages in my UCAS portal regarding the same.

There are users on TSR with far more knowledge about this subject than I, so hopefully they'll be along shortly.

As I understand it, UCAS perform a plagiarism check and provide the uni with the percentage they found (the threshold is 30%, I believe). Individual universities can do what they want with that information.

In your case, Manchester and Bath opted to ignore it, but UCL did not. It's quite right that different universities are allowed to make different decisions.

As for the appeal, I've no idea I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There are users on TSR with far more knowledge about this subject than I, so hopefully they'll be along shortly.

As I understand it, UCAS perform a plagiarism check and provide the uni with the percentage they found (the threshold is 30%, I believe). Individual universities can do what they want with that information.

In your case, Manchester and Bath opted to ignore it, but UCL did not. It's quite right that different universities are allowed to make different decisions.

As for the appeal, I've no idea I'm afraid.

So what this means is : that universities choose to ignore/consider the plagiarism in the SOP as per their wish? I thought it would be a more standardized system, I read somewhere UCAS withdraws your entire application in case of duplication.
So what this means is : that universities choose to ignore/consider the plagiarism in the SOP as per their wish? I thought it would be a more standardized system, I read somewhere UCAS withdraws your entire application in case of duplication.

This page, in the UCAS web site, appears to contain the definitive statement about how this all works. Note that it includes links to their FAQ on the same subject, with details of what actions you can take.
As above, it's up to each uni what they do with the report from UCAS. They could reject your application, contact you for an explanation or new PS, or do absolutely nothing and just consider you normally.

I've not heard of someone being ejected from the application cycle for PS plagiarism, only for lying (rather shamelessly) about their qualifications.

I don't know what grounds you could appeal it with the uni, they're just acting on the info given to them by UCAS.
/

Forgive me asking but is there any truth to the allegation?
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney
Forgive me asking but is there any truth to the allegation?

not quite, all i could think of is that it couldve been coincidential since my SOP was based on what I know about my field of study and not about me (hence it couldnt be 100% unique). I did have a counsellor go through my personal statement as well and I did run my personal statement through plagiarism checkers as well before submitting
If UCAS flagged your PS for plagiarism then you should have been sent the same report they sent to universities which will spell out what matched.

Ring ucas to ask them to resend this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending