The Student Room Group

Degree Apprenticeships for IT or Uni?

Wagwan fam. I'm approaching my final months in year 12 and tho I'm still more than a year away until i finish my course, I'm going through that phase when you struggle to figure out what to do after college.
I do my A levels in Maths, Further Maths and English Language. My intention was pursue a degree in Computer Science initially. After discovering Degree Apprenticeships recently, I was blown away by benefits that come with it. All these years I thought Uni was the only way but DAs offer a new pathway to your chosen career. My interest is particularly in Cyber Security. Tho I find DAs appealing, I'm having this dilemma of whether It will be the right path.
It feels like we have been programmed to believe Uni is the one and only path. With DAs im considering things such as:
Will there be relocation support?
Will travel expenses be covered by the company?
Are there salary raises and progression opportunities?
I do acknowledge that DAs are not a simple alternative but rather a challenging route compared to Uni
Any advice would be appreciated! (Sorry for the long rant!)
I think it's rather a case of applying to both. It's really hard to even get a DA.
Original post by A 6thformer
Wagwan fam. I'm approaching my final months in year 12 and tho I'm still more than a year away until i finish my course, I'm going through that phase when you struggle to figure out what to do after college.
I do my A levels in Maths, Further Maths and English Language. My intention was pursue a degree in Computer Science initially. After discovering Degree Apprenticeships recently, I was blown away by benefits that come with it. All these years I thought Uni was the only way but DAs offer a new pathway to your chosen career. My interest is particularly in Cyber Security. Tho I find DAs appealing, I'm having this dilemma of whether It will be the right path.
It feels like we have been programmed to believe Uni is the one and only path. With DAs im considering things such as:
Will there be relocation support?
Will travel expenses be covered by the company?
Are there salary raises and progression opportunities?
I do acknowledge that DAs are not a simple alternative but rather a challenging route compared to Uni
Any advice would be appreciated! (Sorry for the long rant!)

Heya!
You could apply for both and make a pros and cons list on each option :h: You don't have to decide immediately, apply and see where you can get. Degree Apprenticeships are good but very competitive so there's no full guarantee you'll get into it. I'm not sure if you get travel expenses covered and if there is relocation support but there are progression opportunities ( I have a friend who does an apprenticeship in Germany). Do some research, look at applications and benefits descriptions and make a pros and cons list!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending