The Student Room Group

unexpected englit mock result

ive been working towards getting a 7 in english literature.
ive slowly gone from a 5 to a 6, but i got my feb mock result back today and i got a grade 3 :frown:

i am unsure whether this was due to me just having a horrible day on the day of the mock or if something has happened. i have been focusing a lot more on other subjects and i did expect to get another 6 here. i thought i did very good as well but it turns out not.

im not sure what to do right now, if i shouldnt worry about this too much or if i should put a lot more time in to english lit. my friends agree that the exam itself had horrible questions, especially the a christmas carol question, but i dont want to blame it all on that.

what should i do ??
Reply 1
Original post by xndr_
ive been working towards getting a 7 in english literature.
ive slowly gone from a 5 to a 6, but i got my feb mock result back today and i got a grade 3 :frown:

i am unsure whether this was due to me just having a horrible day on the day of the mock or if something has happened. i have been focusing a lot more on other subjects and i did expect to get another 6 here. i thought i did very good as well but it turns out not.

im not sure what to do right now, if i shouldnt worry about this too much or if i should put a lot more time in to english lit. my friends agree that the exam itself had horrible questions, especially the a christmas carol question, but i dont want to blame it all on that.

what should i do ??

what christmas carol question did you have? tbf,that could depend on the grade, as i know people who get 9s and fell from a 9 to a 7 due to their jekll and hyde question
Reply 2
Original post by noiruru
what christmas carol question did you have? tbf,that could depend on the grade, as i know people who get 9s and fell from a 9 to a 7 due to their jekll and hyde question

it was like "how does the writer present the effects of loneliness and isolation in the extract" and the extract was scrooge seeing his younger self in school and a description of the school. it had barely anything to go off of. the macbeth one was pretty awful as well with the extract
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by xndr_
it was like "how does the writer present the effects of loneliness and isolation in the extract" and the extract was scrooge seeing his younger self in school and a description of the school. it had barely anything to go off of. the macbeth one was pretty awful as well with the extract

I wont lie, that does seem like an awful question. was your part b on isolation elsewheere? cos if it was i agree, it wasnt the best of questions. im currently year 11 myself, and i have a grade 8 in eng lit, and i suggest you just memorise quotes that can help you in every theme. funnily i have my chritsmas carol mock tomorrow, so im revising for that now. dont be disheartened ab ur grade... just practise questions and exam technique, reading books wont help you! tbf im struggling with what the questions gonna be tomorrow, and dont have time to cram. but you got this!
Reply 4
Original post by noiruru
I wont lie, that does seem like an awful question. was your part b on isolation elsewheere? cos if it was i agree, it wasnt the best of questions. im currently year 11 myself, and i have a grade 8 in eng lit, and i suggest you just memorise quotes that can help you in every theme. funnily i have my chritsmas carol mock tomorrow, so im revising for that now. dont be disheartened ab ur grade... just practise questions and exam technique, reading books wont help you! tbf im struggling with what the questions gonna be tomorrow, and dont have time to cram. but you got this!

yeah it was. memorising quotes is soooo hard for me, theres just so many lmao. i do feel i know a lot, i just gotta know some more about them and where they come in lol. i accidentally said a quote was from the wrong act in the macbeth one which sucked. lit just is not my subject. i think ima find out my language grade tomorrow which i am hoping is a lot better as i am really good at it

i wish u luck for tomorrow :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by xndr_
yeah it was. memorising quotes is soooo hard for me, theres just so many lmao. i do feel i know a lot, i just gotta know some more about them and where they come in lol. i accidentally said a quote was from the wrong act in the macbeth one which sucked. lit just is not my subject. i think ima find out my language grade tomorrow which i am hoping is a lot better as i am really good at it

thank you :smile: if u need help just lmk! also what was ur 2 questions? nd what exam board do you do?
Reply 6
Original post by noiruru
thank you :smile: if u need help just lmk! also what was ur 2 questions? nd what exam board do you do?

i do aqa
q1 was how does william shakespeare present macbeth's fears in the extract, the extract being from act 3 scene 1, starting around the "to be thus is nothing, but to be safely thus"
q2 was how does charles dickens present the effects of loneliness and isolation in the extract. the extract being in stave 2 when he sees his younger self in the school.
Reply 7
Original post by xndr_
i do aqa
q1 was how does william shakespeare present macbeth's fears in the extract, the extract being from act 3 scene 1, starting around the "to be thus is nothing, but to be safely thus"
q2 was how does charles dickens present the effects of loneliness and isolation in the extract. the extract being in stave 2 when he sees his younger self in the school.

ah thanku! i do edexcel but tysm for ur help x
Original post by xndr_

Tip - You don't need to mention which act a quote comes from. It doesn't increase your marks so I wouldn't bother as it just gives you more to learn and increases the chances of making a mistake.

In terms of memorising quotes, always do quality over quantity. 10 amazing quotes are better than 50 weak ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending