The Student Room Group

Year in Industry Placement but have a partner and child, looking for advice

So I've got onto a placement for a company I've dreamed of working for since I was a little kid.

Company being Jaguar Land Rover on their product engineering: software undergraduate scheme.

I'm absolutely made up about it, but I'm unsure how things will work out as a family.

I live up in the North East of England currently and my home base would be somewhere in the Midlands. So long commute for the 2-3 days that I'd need to be on site for.

But I think I'd prefer to move down there. Problem is, I have a partner and child. I know they could move down with me, other half is absolutely onboard for that possibility, but I'm worried how we'd get a house back up here after my placement ends.

The other thing I'm worried about is our child is autistic, so the change could be really hard on them. Especially with not being able to see their cousins and grandparents that much for a year.

I'm not opposed to driving down when I need to as I love driving, but I think it'd be beneficial to be able to actually go in for all my working days, instead of just 2-3 and rest from home.

Any advice or suggestions?
Original post by Mogga96
So I've got onto a placement for a company I've dreamed of working for since I was a little kid.

Company being Jaguar Land Rover on their product engineering: software undergraduate scheme.

I'm absolutely made up about it, but I'm unsure how things will work out as a family.

I live up in the North East of England currently and my home base would be somewhere in the Midlands. So long commute for the 2-3 days that I'd need to be on site for.

But I think I'd prefer to move down there. Problem is, I have a partner and child. I know they could move down with me, other half is absolutely onboard for that possibility, but I'm worried how we'd get a house back up here after my placement ends.

The other thing I'm worried about is our child is autistic, so the change could be really hard on them. Especially with not being able to see their cousins and grandparents that much for a year.

I'm not opposed to driving down when I need to as I love driving, but I think it'd be beneficial to be able to actually go in for all my working days, instead of just 2-3 and rest from home.

Drive down early Monday morning, get the cheapest possible B&B and stay in it Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, drive home Thursday evening and wfh on Friday. That's a pretty common work pattern for people working at a distance from home. It certainly isn't worth moving the family.

Speak to the employer, HR division. Although it is your responsibility how you live and get to work, chances are, if they are running this sort of scheme, they have some idea how people move temporarily to the area.
Original post by Mogga96

As threeportdrift says, it's common for people who work away from home to travel down early one day, stay somewhere cheap for a few days and then go home on a weekday evening and do the rest of the week as WFH. So look into potential accommodation, and weigh up how much it'd cost - alongside other expenses such as food, etc. - and see if it's doable on your placement salary (I don't know about your finances, whether you are requiring the placement income to support your family, etc.). A big employer such as JLR should hopefully be able to offer some advice regarding suitable living arrangements. Once you've settled in a bit to the role you can evaluate how many days it is actually beneficial to be in for, when compared against being away from family, the cost of accommodation and eating out, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending