The Student Room Group

Repeat year

I’m halfway through my third year of uni doing nursing. I was dismissed from uni a couple weeks ago due to academic failure in year 2 which was caused by stress and anxiety at home. I applied for a repear year which the uni granted due to me having a lot of evidence to back what i’m saying. I emailed them about my progression and they said i’d have to redo second year from sept/oct and then move onto third year again. I know this is the best outcome I could have received but im just disheartened about having to do another 2 years again after already doing 2.5 years.
Reply 1
Hey I know its a bit disheartening but this way you'll get a lot more experience in time for your exams as well as getting more practical experience which will definitely help in osces etc. If you aren't enjoying the course then would it be possible to switch courses?
Reply 2
I’m having this fear with 3rd year. I’m 3 months away from being done and passed everything until now. I’ve a 4000 word literature review to do, I’m stuck in a rut and my lecturer hasn’t helped after reminding us all that failing this means we’ll fail 3rd year and not graduate. I know uni isnt meant to be a walk in the park but this is something else.
Reply 3
Original post by 0iangel
I’m having this fear with 3rd year. I’m 3 months away from being done and passed everything until now. I’ve a 4000 word literature review to do, I’m stuck in a rut and my lecturer hasn’t helped after reminding us all that failing this means we’ll fail 3rd year and not graduate. I know uni isnt meant to be a walk in the park but this is something else.

That definitely seems stressful its unfortunate that you dont have a very supportive lecturer. Are there any other lecturers you can talk to or perhaps talking to your peers may help? I'm in a similar scenario but my exams are clinical which I only have two attempts at, if I fail both of these attempts I can't progress into second year and will be cut from the course and the assessors marking is very subjective and they can pretty much fail you if they don't really like you. But talking to other peers has definitely helped me feel a bit better as we are all in the same boat.
Reply 4
Original post by XenK12
That definitely seems stressful its unfortunate that you dont have a very supportive lecturer. Are there any other lecturers you can talk to or perhaps talking to your peers may help? I'm in a similar scenario but my exams are clinical which I only have two attempts at, if I fail both of these attempts I can't progress into second year and will be cut from the course and the assessors marking is very subjective and they can pretty much fail you if they don't really like you. But talking to other peers has definitely helped me feel a bit better as we are all in the same boat.

I think I’m just over thinking it. I know its not the attitude but I just keep telling myself I only need 40% to pass. And I like to think, its the final bit of academic work, surely unless I’m so far off topic my assessor will pass me 🤔
Reply 5
Original post by XenK12
Hey I know its a bit disheartening but this way you'll get a lot more experience in time for your exams as well as getting more practical experience which will definitely help in osces etc. If you aren't enjoying the course then would it be possible to switch courses?

That’s the thing I love the course and I love being on placement but it was just that I was looking forward to finishing this year in august. I think i’m just upset I have to do another 2 years at uni.
Reply 6
Original post by 0iangel

I 100% get this!! It’s stressful knowing that this one piece of work can make or break your future
Reply 7
Original post by Cake.lover
That’s the thing I love the course and I love being on placement but it was just that I was looking forward to finishing this year in august. I think i’m just upset I have to do another 2 years at uni.

Yeah. I’m so surprised at the lack of support (especially at my uni), everything just seems to be so black and white with no wiggle room/solutions. My personal tutor I’ve seen once in nearly 3 years, and no matter how many times you try contact them, never get a reply, raise it higher up the chain and get told its just how it is…Honestly after I graduate (hopefully) if anyone asked me about my uni days I’d tell them, bar placement I hated every single bit of it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 0iangel
Yeah. I’m so surprised at the lack of support (especially at my uni), everything just seems to be so black and white with no wiggle room/solutions. My personal tutor I’ve seen once in nearly 3 years, and no matter how many times you try contact them, never get a reply, raise it higher up the chain and get told its just how it is…Honestly after I graduate (hopefully) if anyone asked me about my uni days I’d tell them, bar placement I hated every single bit of it.

honestly it’s a nightmare trying to get through to anyone at uni. They don’t reply even after several emails. I had an issue with one of my placements and told the uni that they won’t sign my hours or complete my EPAD because my assessor flat out said no. Uni told me they dont have any spare placements to move me to. They left me to deal with this on my own which I dont understand.

Quick Reply

Latest