The Student Room Group

How to get Grade 9 in maths

Hi,

I am doing maths Edexcel. Gcse's are probably like in a month. I think I am lacking in maths a lot. My grade in 1st mock was 5. In 2nd mocks it was 6. I want to get at least 7-8 in maths so I can go on to do maths in sixth form. Please give me ideas and suggestions on how to do so.

Thank you
MATHS GENIE! Best website EVER. each GCSE topic, a video for each, questions for each, answers for each. Do all the topics you're bad at then do a past paper in timed conditions. Mark it, then for the topics you got wrong, redo the maths genie. Got me a very high 9. Takes very very little time. You can have a whole topic done in 1 hour.

Just a note though, maths a level is incredibly difficult. If you're struggling to get an A, it might not be the best choice. I got a 9 and breezed through GCSE and struggled a lot on the A-level. But if there's another reason and you do like maths and know you'll be able to pull it off, more power to you xx
Reply 2
I like maths when there is like a equation question. I was moved to higher this year. With only one month time I got grade 5 and with 2 months time I got grade 6. I am considering to do a level maths because I want to become a pilot and maths and physics is necessary.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
MATHS GENIE! Best website EVER. each GCSE topic, a video for each, questions for each, answers for each. Do all the topics you're bad at then do a past paper in timed conditions. Mark it, then for the topics you got wrong, redo the maths genie. Got me a very high 9. Takes very very little time. You can have a whole topic done in 1 hour.

Just a note though, maths a level is incredibly difficult. If you're struggling to get an A, it might not be the best choice. I got a 9 and breezed through GCSE and struggled a lot on the A-level. But if there's another reason and you do like maths and know you'll be able to pull it off, more power to you xx
Original post by Walnut23
I like maths when there is like a equation question. I was moved to higher this year. With only one month time I got grade 5 and with 2 months time I got grade 6. I am considering to do a level maths because I want to become a pilot and maths and physics is necessary.

" You do not need A Level qualifications to be able to train as a pilot on most our programmes. You will require 80+ UCAS points to apply for our BSc (Hons) Aviation Pilot Programme." My dear friend it is not :smile:

" You may also need A-levels or the equivalent. Academic criteria is set per campaign. We suggest studying subjects you enjoy, we don't favour any particular A-levels or degrees." - british airways
Reply 4

Hi, if I got a grade 5 in my mocks last month is there still hope for me? How could I plan everything out now to get a better grade in my GCSE's?

I recommend:

Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/edexcel/
Original post by qas1232
Hi, if I got a grade 5 in my mocks last month is there still hope for me? How could I plan everything out now to get a better grade in my GCSE's?

Hiya, I found maths genie was the absolute best. Dr frost didn't really vibe with me, but it's also a good resource. I would do a past paper, write down what topics you're bad at, go on maths genie and watch the video, do the questions, mark them, then retry the question you got wrong in the paper. Do this for all the things you got wrong then do the next paper. Eventually you'll cover all the topics! There's absolutely still hope, I tutored a girl from a 3 to a very high 6. It's possible, but it requires work
Reply 7
Hiya, I found maths genie was the absolute best. Dr frost didn't really vibe with me, but it's also a good resource. I would do a past paper, write down what topics you're bad at, go on maths genie and watch the video, do the questions, mark them, then retry the question you got wrong in the paper. Do this for all the things you got wrong then do the next paper. Eventually you'll cover all the topics! There's absolutely still hope, I tutored a girl from a 3 to a very high 6. It's possible, but it requires work

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it! I will be trying your advised methods from now on and I hope it works for me too.
Original post by qas1232
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it! I will be trying your advised methods from now on and I hope it works for me too.

no worries! I'm lazy as hell so maths genie was soo great
Hi,

I am doing maths Edexcel. Gcse's are probably like in a month. I think I am lacking in maths a lot. My grade in 1st mock was 5. In 2nd mocks it was 6. I want to get at least 7-8 in maths so I can go on to do maths in sixth form. Please give me ideas and suggestions on how to do so.

Thank you

Heya!
With maths, it's all about practicing :h: I would recommend going over each topic and doing practice questions by topic until you feel comfortable. There are plenty of free resources online! If it also helps, Study Mind has free maths practice questions you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 10
Thank you. I will follow your advice. I hope my maths grade turns out 7 or 8. When you were tutoring a girl in how much time did she jump from grade 4 to 6?
no worries! I'm lazy as hell so maths genie was soo great
Original post by qas1232

I reallyyyy recommend GCSE Maths Tutor on youtube https://www.youtube.com/@TheGCSEMathsTutor
He goes through a lot of topics and gives practice questions. AND since maths is about practice, i use corbett maths worksheet and exam questions.
Thank you. I will follow your advice. I hope my maths grade turns out 7 or 8. When you were tutoring a girl in how much time did she jump from grade 4 to 6?

She had a 3 in mocks in december, and got a 6 in june. But I only saw her once a week, so you can definitely do it faster. The main thing is practice questions, videos, practice questions, videos. Keep going until you can do a past paper, then do practice questions, videos, on the topics you got wrong
Reply 13
I will surely do that in fact I have started doing it. Thank for your advice. I really appreciate it.
She had a 3 in mocks in december, and got a 6 in june. But I only saw her once a week, so you can definitely do it faster. The main thing is practice questions, videos, practice questions, videos. Keep going until you can do a past paper, then do practice questions, videos, on the topics you got wrong
Hi, I hope revision is going well for you guys, personally for maths I really find the CGP books useful. It’s also important to focus on the areas you are weak at and not just revise the areas you know you are good at. Doing past papers and checking the mark scheme is also a good way to revise. Perhaps ask your teachers if u need any extra help or support during school?

Quick Reply

Latest