The Student Room Group

Sociology A Level??

I'm finishing gcses in june, and i'm thinking ab college courses. I'm 100% on bio and psychology, I've been thinking ab taking sociology as a 3rd a level but i'm not sure about it..

From what i know, it's mainly theoretical which i'm a bit dodgy about. I didnt take philosophy or anything similar at gcse so i dont even know if i'm interested in theories. I'm really passionate ab psychology though and i know it's kinda theoretical and sociology crosses over with it a bit.

Anyone who takes sociology a level - any advice?? and pls reply with an example of the kind of theoretical stuff you learn
would be super appreciated :')
Hey Yasmin. Im going to be appearing in the 2023 May/June session for As business, sociology, and psychology.
My personal experience with sociology hasn't been as good as I expected. I was in your position a few months back contemplating my A-level subjects. And I 100% agree with u sociology is theoretical.

1. It starts with 4 theorists (you'll have to study every chapter by including these 4 theorists in 70% of your arguments). This is from the pov of an average student who h a t e s learning about theories BUT these theories were the easiest part of the book and still Are.

2. This book has a lot of information and if u like messing with ur brain cells then I'd suggest u choose this book otherwise not. The information is easy to understand but as there are about 10 arguments on one topic u need to grasp all of it with understanding the viewpoint of each theorist. For example, there's a topic about Identities. now these identities include class identities (lower class, middle class, upper class), gender identities, male identities and their types, female identities and their types, and ethnic identities. All of these identities are summed up by various and various theorists.

3. Theorists. Be ready to read about 5 names of theorists in each paragraph giving their viewpoint on a certain topic. at this point, I barely even try to remember their names only the first 4 of the book are important and a few others but cuz the book is solely based on understanding the social world we need to read about the viewpoints of different theorists and what they think. sorry this is getting confusing but trust me sociology is not an easy subject

4. Time management. I still struggle with and am practicing managing my time while attempting past papers and if ur really bad at writing long ass essays for each question would not recommend it.

This is the sum of it and if u have any further questions feel free to ask I'll be more than happy to respond.
Reply 2
Original post by where_am_I_17
Hey Yasmin. Im going to be appearing in the 2023 May/June session for As business, sociology, and psychology.
My personal experience with sociology hasn't been as good as I expected. I was in your position a few months back contemplating my A-level subjects. And I 100% agree with u sociology is theoretical.

1. It starts with 4 theorists (you'll have to study every chapter by including these 4 theorists in 70% of your arguments). This is from the pov of an average student who h a t e s learning about theories BUT these theories were the easiest part of the book and still Are.

2. This book has a lot of information and if u like messing with ur brain cells then I'd suggest u choose this book otherwise not. The information is easy to understand but as there are about 10 arguments on one topic u need to grasp all of it with understanding the viewpoint of each theorist. For example, there's a topic about Identities. now these identities include class identities (lower class, middle class, upper class), gender identities, male identities and their types, female identities and their types, and ethnic identities. All of these identities are summed up by various and various theorists.

3. Theorists. Be ready to read about 5 names of theorists in each paragraph giving their viewpoint on a certain topic. at this point, I barely even try to remember their names only the first 4 of the book are important and a few others but cuz the book is solely based on understanding the social world we need to read about the viewpoints of different theorists and what they think. sorry this is getting confusing but trust me sociology is not an easy subject

4. Time management. I still struggle with and am practicing managing my time while attempting past papers and if ur really bad at writing long ass essays for each question would not recommend it.

This is the sum of it and if u have any further questions feel free to ask I'll be more than happy to respond.

Thanks sm for replying and for the advice : )

I was mainly interested in the psychology and criminology aspects of sociology but long essays sounds hard and not my thing..
I just have a problem because i'm stuck between sociology, criminology and health and social. I think i might just do sociology or criminology for the first few months just to get familiar with what it's like and if i don't like either of them i'll probably switch to health&sc.
Coz i know they'll be some topics in sociology that i'll be passionate ab and i could write essays about but there's probably a lot of topics that will be the opposite. I think i'm kinda bad at managing my time asw lol.

I'm sure on taking psychology , but how do you like it? Not as theoretical as sociology righttt?
Original post by yasmins06
I'm finishing gcses in june, and i'm thinking ab college courses. I'm 100% on bio and psychology, I've been thinking ab taking sociology as a 3rd a level but i'm not sure about it..

From what i know, it's mainly theoretical which i'm a bit dodgy about. I didnt take philosophy or anything similar at gcse so i dont even know if i'm interested in theories. I'm really passionate ab psychology though and i know it's kinda theoretical and sociology crosses over with it a bit.

Anyone who takes sociology a level - any advice?? and pls reply with an example of the kind of theoretical stuff you learn

I did sociology at both GCSE and A-level and loved it.
I found it very interesting. It was also one of my easiest a-levels.
i did biology, psychology and sociology as a levels! i thought they worked together quite well :smile:
Reply 5

I do biology, psychology and sociology. Although I'm not the greatest lover of sociology I will say that the exams are fairly easy as the grade boundaries are very low, although it did take me a while to understand what they wanted out of the essays. It is also not a very content heavy subject, you could easily revise the whole of sociology in detail in like a week. Some aspects of the course are mind numbingly boring like the media and family theories (however these are optional modules, your school may pick differently), but the complusory sections (crime and deviance and eduction) are quite interesting. There is also overlap with psychology in the research methods section. I would say it would be good practice for psychology university essays if that's something you would be interested in. You base theories from three main perspectives (with some others): marxism, functionalism and feminism, and the theories are easy to understand and easy to revise. There aren't many very long essays, paper 1 and 3 have a 30 marker each which is around 4-5 paragraphs the rest of the papers are made up of 10 and 20 markers which are 1 or 2 pages long. I do struggle with time management in paper 2 and you also need to be prepared to remember a lot of names. Overall it wouldn't be a bad choice!
Reply 6
Original post by leah07
I do biology, psychology and sociology. Although I'm not the greatest lover of sociology I will say that the exams are fairly easy as the grade boundaries are very low, although it did take me a while to understand what they wanted out of the essays. It is also not a very content heavy subject, you could easily revise the whole of sociology in detail in like a week. Some aspects of the course are mind numbingly boring like the media and family theories (however these are optional modules, your school may pick differently), but the complusory sections (crime and deviance and eduction) are quite interesting. There is also overlap with psychology in the research methods section. I would say it would be good practice for psychology university essays if that's something you would be interested in. You base theories from three main perspectives (with some others): marxism, functionalism and feminism, and the theories are easy to understand and easy to revise. There aren't many very long essays, paper 1 and 3 have a 30 marker each which is around 4-5 paragraphs the rest of the papers are made up of 10 and 20 markers which are 1 or 2 pages long. I do struggle with time management in paper 2 and you also need to be prepared to remember a lot of names. Overall it wouldn't be a bad choice!

Thanks so much! You defo helped :')
Thanks sm for replying and for the advice : )

I was mainly interested in the psychology and criminology aspects of sociology but long essays sounds hard and not my thing..
I just have a problem because i'm stuck between sociology, criminology and health and social. I think i might just do sociology or criminology for the first few months just to get familiar with what it's like and if i don't like either of them i'll probably switch to health&sc.
Coz i know they'll be some topics in sociology that i'll be passionate ab and i could write essays about but there's probably a lot of topics that will be the opposite. I think i'm kinda bad at managing my time asw lol.

I'm sure on taking psychology , but how do you like it? Not as theoretical as sociology righttt?

No problem : )

My advice is to take trial classes first, since I did so for about a month straight before I chose my subjects and it helped a lot as u have professional and experienced teachers guiding u. And just so u know everyone has different opinions and approaches to how they study or what they choose to study so, you might like it if you find the subject interesting enough. : )

Yes indeeed which is why I love it : )))

Quick Reply

Latest