The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield contact hours

Was just wondering if anyone knows how many lectures/seminars there could be per week at Sheffield? ive firmed for politics and sociology!
Reply 1
It depends on your course. STEM subjects in particular tend to have quite a lot. I’m doing Software Engineering and I’ll have around 20 contact hours a week during my first year, it’ll go down as the years go on though. I’ve heard that some people have as few as 15 in their first year and some as many as 22 a week though. Since you’re doing a dual honours, you might have around the same number of hours as me.

Sorry that wasn’t a straight answer but hopefully that gives you a rough idea of what to expect :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
thank you!
Original post by izzy4509x
Was just wondering if anyone knows how many lectures/seminars there could be per week at Sheffield? ive firmed for politics and sociology!

Hi @izzy4509x!

Congrats on your offer! Im a sociology graduate and had a lot of friends on dual sociology courses so i would expect your timetable to be very similar to mine! During my first year I had 4 modules running at the same time, each had a 1 hour seminar, and a 1-2 hour lecture. So i had roughly 10 hours of contact hours each week. This remained pretty much the same throughout my degree.

You will find you have much less contact hours than people on other course as the nature of the subjects is much more reading and writing based as opposed to practical courses like engineering, medicine etc. Its heavily independent so you will have more than enough work to keep you busy, it's just most of which happens in your own time.

You will still have opportunities to regularly meet your tutors and seminar leaders so this doesn't mean you wont be supported, you are just expected to work you way through the reading lists and prepare for you assignments independently.

I hope thats helpful! Let me know if there is anything else.
Georgia :smile:
Reply 4
v helpful, thanks so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending