The Student Room Group

So I ****** off a scammer. Am I in danger?

So basically, you know those texts you get from scammers pretending to be Royal Mail or Apple wallet? Well I fell for it and gave them my card details. I don’t usually fall for these things but because I had an incident at a restaurant a few weeks back with it not recognising my card, I didn’t click this time and thought it was genuine that they took my card off. I realised what I had done after about 40 minutes and disabled my cards.

So today I got a call from those scammers pretending to be my bank to tell me I’ve been scammed. They were going to take more of my details by doing that. Anyway, they said my name and said they’re calling from my bank and I said “No you’re not. STFU” and hung up. He dropped the act and started cussing me out and left me 4-5 missed calls. I didn’t pick up. Anyway he stopped after a few minutes.

I forgot that he actually has my home address because of those card details… now I’m nervous that the harassment might continue tomorrow or get worse for me. You never know who these people are, I’m just hoping he’s not a psycho gang member that would take this too far. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

You’ll be fine. These scammers just operate behind screens and phones and very often they’re based in a different country. They’re generally not gangsters or mafia members or anything like that; they’re not going to come round yours and risk getting arrested. And it would be absolutely not worth it for them to do that for one person, bear in mind they’re scamming loads of people at the same time.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
You’ll be fine. These scammers just operate behind screens and phones and very often they’re based in a different country. They’re generally not gangsters or mafia members or anything like that; they’re not going to come round yours and risk getting arrested. And it would be absolutely not worth it for them to do that for one person, bear in mind they’re scamming loads of people at the same time.

This person was defo in the UK. He had a road man London accent so that’s partly why I was worried. I’m not far from London so… I mean if he wanted to make my life miserable or threaten me he can.
Original post by Anonymous
This person was defo in the UK. He had a road man London accent so that’s partly why I was worried. I’m not far from London so… I mean if he wanted to make my life miserable or threaten me he can.

He won’t, he’s busy scamming other people. Scammers aren’t known for including physical violence and stalking in their career goals.

Presumably you've reported this to the Police or action Fraud?
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
He won’t, he’s busy scamming other people. Scammers aren’t known for including physical violence and stalking in their career goals.

I really hope you’re right. I’m a woman so I just feel like it could continue, as I don’t exactly sound intimidating.
Original post by Muttley79
Presumably you've reported this to the Police or action Fraud?

I have not. He used a private number so I’m not sure how else to go about it
So basically, you know those texts you get from scammers pretending to be Royal Mail or Apple wallet? Well I fell for it and gave them my card details. I don’t usually fall for these things but because I had an incident at a restaurant a few weeks back with it not recognising my card, I didn’t click this time and thought it was genuine that they took my card off. I realised what I had done after about 40 minutes and disabled my cards.

So today I got a call from those scammers pretending to be my bank to tell me I’ve been scammed. They were going to take more of my details by doing that. Anyway, they said my name and said they’re calling from my bank and I said “No you’re not. STFU” and hung up. He dropped the act and started cussing me out and left me 4-5 missed calls. I didn’t pick up. Anyway he stopped after a few minutes.

I forgot that he actually has my home address because of those card details… now I’m nervous that the harassment might continue tomorrow or get worse for me. You never know who these people are, I’m just hoping he’s not a psycho gang member that would take this too far. Any advice?

im sure at the end of the day he only really wants to make free easy money. most people wouldn't even travel across the country to meet their partner. you'll be okay. chances are you arent the only person who is going to be scammed and they will just move on to someone else in an attempt to scam them and make money
They won't do anything.

I've been threatened with all sorts of legal and violent action via people on the phone trying to get my money. Nothing came of it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 1582
They won't do anything.

I've been threatened with all sorts of legal and violent action via people on the phone trying to get my money. Nothing came of it.

If he’s from London then he’s rather local, he sounded like a road man from London. I’m a woman so I don’t sound intimidating in the slightest. I’m hoping you guys are all right
I have not. He used a private number so I’m not sure how else to go about it

Report - both can find the person.
Original post by Muttley79
Report - both can find the person.

How though? How do I report it?
How though? How do I report it?

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
they dont result in physical harm, they just swear to intimidate you. they are not gangs, they are just stupid scammers. a smart criminal wouldnt call back to swear at you. i work in digital forensics and ive cursed and mocked numerous of these scammers. i just cant help it.

Are out of this world, you cussed a scammer and you think he’s gonna hurt you😂 if I ever saw someone who tried to scam me I would confront them no matter what I said to them, dm if “they sound like a road man”, you can’t be serious🤣
Are out of this world, you cussed a scammer and you think he’s gonna hurt you😂 if I ever saw someone who tried to scam me I would confront them no matter what I said to them, dm if “they sound like a road man”, you can’t be serious🤣

I guess you’re not a woman then because it’s different for us. Don’t think I need to explain why. At the end of the day he has my address and I p*ssed him off.

Also, I don’t think you quite understood why I mentioned he sounds like a road man…

How have they got your address?
Also, I don’t think you quite understood why I mentioned he sounds like a road man…

Oh okay I thought you were a man, well he won’t do anything, he’s just a lousy little scammer, scammers are too scared to do anything physical

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending