The Student Room Group

dropping out of uni and starting sept 2023

hi does anyone know if anyones dropped out of first year and reapplied to begin at a different uni (same course) for the next academic year? im considering to do the same
i will be changing course but i have dropped out of first year this year and am changing universities! i’m honestly glad i’m doing it as i need the break and have found a subject i’m much better suited to!
Original post by Anonymous
hi does anyone know if anyones dropped out of first year and reapplied to begin at a different uni (same course) for the next academic year? im considering to do the same

It’s fairly common.

but if you haven’t even submitted your ucas application yet (including your current studies and your A levels and ideally a reference from your current university) then it’s worth carrying on with your current course until your place elsewhere is confirmed.

that also opens up the possibility of switching to year 2 elsewhere

Hey!
I can tell you that it is possible for students to drop out of their first year at one university and apply to start the same course at a different university for the following academic year. However, it is important to keep in mind that this decision should not be taken lightly as it can have implications on your academic progress and financial aid.

If you are considering this option, I would recommend speaking with your academic advisor or a representative from the university you are interested in transferring to. They will be able to provide you with information on the transfer process and any specific requirements that you may need to meet. Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to other students who have gone through a similar experience to gain insight into their experiences and any challenges they faced.

Ultimately, the decision to transfer universities should be based on careful consideration of your academic goals and personal circumstances. It is important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks of such a decision before making any final decisions.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Original post by sadiebourne03
i will be changing course but i have dropped out of first year this year and am changing universities! i’m honestly glad i’m doing it as i need the break and have found a subject i’m much better suited to!

how was the process like? and did you do it after the deadline for ucas applications?
Original post by PQ
It’s fairly common.

but if you haven’t even submitted your ucas application yet (including your current studies and your A levels and ideally a reference from your current university) then it’s worth carrying on with your current course until your place elsewhere is confirmed.

that also opens up the possibility of switching to year 2 elsewhere

im planning to submit an application - just waiting for my reference to be completed but i just hope it'll guarantee me an offer like a normal application would!
how was the process like? and did you do it after the deadline for ucas applications?

i applied after the deadline, so my application didn’t actually get sent until the end of february, and i still managed to get unconditional offers for all of my choices so it’s definitely possible to do it late! the process was overall smooth other than student finance overpaid me and i’m having to reapply as a brand new student but i’m so glad i did it!
Reply 7
I have a friend who managed to secure a spot for a different uni (second year) for a similar course so I think it's probably possible.
(Original post by sadiebourne03)i applied after the deadline, so my application didn’t actually get sent until the end of february, and i still managed to get unconditional offers for all of my choices so it’s definitely possible to do it late! the process was overall smooth other than student finance overpaid me and i’m having to reapply as a brand new student but i’m so glad i did it!

thats so reassuring thank u sm! i just reapplied now so im praying i get my offers!! first year has felt like hell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending