The Student Room Group

Jobs for under 16s

Hey all,
I am currently in Year 9, and I want to work a part-time job. I’ve read that under-16s are not legally allowed to work more than two hours a day on non-school days and I was just wondering if anyone knows which companies are willing to hire?
Thanks!
O
Reply 1
boots or superdrugs
Original post by omidi
Hey all,
I am currently in Year 9, and I want to work a part-time job. I’ve read that under-16s are not legally allowed to work more than two hours a day on non-school days and I was just wondering if anyone knows which companies are willing to hire?
Thanks!
O

Most companies won't take on under 16's. For a couple of reasons really. A) because of the rules and regulations surrounding employing under 16's and B) because you don't have a national insurance number until just before you turn 16.
You may be able to find smaller cafes and restaurants (i.e. not chain ones) willing to hire you.
Alternatively you could get a paper round.
Original post by e.rahnx
boots or superdrugs

They may take on people from 15.
But the OP has said that they are in year 9, so would only be 14 (possibly even still 13 depending on when I'm the school year their birthday is).
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
They may take on people from 15.
But the OP has said that they are in year 9, so would only be 14 (possibly even still 13 depending on when I'm the school year their birthday is).

My birthday!s pretty early into the school year so yeah I’ll be turning 15 before the end of the year
Original post by omidi
My birthday!s pretty early into the school year so yeah I’ll be turning 15 before the end of the year

That may be the case, but you are still only 14 for a few months yet. Boots and superdrug may officially take on people from 15, but I don't think they seem to take on many.

You may get more joy from smaller more independent companies such as cafes, restaurants, small independent shops etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending