The Student Room Group

Can a med school reject my conditional offer ?

So I have 2 medical offers Alhamduillah , however recently I realised I wanted to take a gap year. I am not expecting whatsoever the unis to give me it as I recognise this is very late of me to ask. but I’m planning on emailing the med schools if it would be possible to consider me for deferred entry. However my only concern is that I’m scared the universities may think of this as very unprofessional and as a result withdraw my conditional offer. So should I just avoid this risk and not email them and ask them and instead try to just enter 2023 ?
Reply 1
Original post by yasbro04
So I have 2 medical offers Alhamduillah , however recently I realised I wanted to take a gap year. I am not expecting whatsoever the unis to give me it as I recognise this is very late of me to ask. but I’m planning on emailing the med schools if it would be possible to consider me for deferred entry. However my only concern is that I’m scared the universities may think of this as very unprofessional and as a result withdraw my conditional offer. So should I just avoid this risk and not email them and ask them and instead try to just enter 2023 ?

I believe asking for a deferred entry is not unprofessional at all and is a very understandable choice. Universities are expected to behave professionally and reasonably to any individual no matter the situation. I suggest checking the course on their respective websites to see their opinion on deferred entries and emailing them about the possibility of a deferred entry. There is no shame in asking about something as serious as this and do not worry too much! I hope you get the situation resolved as you wish!
All you can do is ask.
Reply 3
Ye, I mean idm if they say no as I’m kinda expecting it I was just worried that it’ll turn more worse for me if I asked. But hopefully it’ll all go well
Reply 4
Ye, I mean idm if they say no as I’m kinda expecting it I was just worried that it’ll turn more worse for me if I asked. But hopefully it’ll all go well

If you do, and you have new active / constructive plans which will strengthen you as a med student in the longer term, or alternatively sadly a change in family circumstances which make this year difficult - then say why you are exploring possibilities at the moment.

So for a good reason, not on a whim.

Good luck.

No, they won't withdraw your offer. They may decline your request to defer, but they won't boot you out completely.

Just make sure your request is phrased so that it's clear you still want to go even if you can't defer, rather than that defer or nothing
Asking to defer won't affect your current offers at all. It'll either be a yes, or a no, in which case you'll still have your current offers and will then have a decision to make.
Reply 7
Oh ok Tysm for all the support that’ll make sense, I’ll make sure when I email them it’s clear that it’s only an interest for deferring and still more then happy to enter 2023 if they can not offer me a place for 2024

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending