The Student Room Group
Use an if statement saying that if the number of characters entered is less than 1 and more than 20 then return some error message, else process the command.
Reply 2
na man its got to be a validation rule ...so that a mimimum of 1 character (letter) must be enterd
Reply 3
cookieboy
na man its got to be a validation rule ...so that a mimimum of 1 character (letter) must be enterd

I'm not very big on using Access, but "if" statements can be used for validation :smile:

Say for example if "n" was the number of characters then it'd look something like this:

if (n<1) or (n>20) then error else proceed

-- where error and proceed are what you want it to do in each case.
Reply 4
Tla
I'm not very big on using Access, but "if" statements can be used for validation :smile:

Say for example if "n" was the number of characters then it'd look something like this:

if (n<1) or (n>20) then error else proceed

-- where error and proceed are what you want it to do in each case.

hmmm im bit confused so what I have done is that you cant leave the field name blank, must have some data in and set max field size to 20 ... heheh thanks for the help though, really appreciated!
cookieboy

It is validation, see Tla's post. :smile:
Reply 6
simon12345
It is validation, see Tla's post. :smile:

Ah right i didnt realy know like, well iv kind of solved it anoutherway :cool: thanks though.
Reply 7
easiest way I can think of is to use L???? etc up to 19 ? in the input mask field.

If you want combinations of letters and numbers you'll have to change that slightly, but it'll be a variation on that. I do find the input mask thing ugly though

using code as suggested above is more elegant, and it is validation

Latest

Trending

Trending