The Student Room Group

messed up my history coursework, can i still get an A*?

I just got my history ocr coursework back, and I got 24/40 which is really freaking me out because I typically get grades of around a/a*, and my cw is worth 20%. Am I still able to achieve a* without having to get full marks in the exam?

thank you
it depends, what grades did you get last year? if you got high marks last year, that means added with this years you should be able to get it.
Reply 2
Original post by sonya05
I just got my history ocr coursework back, and I got 24/40 which is really freaking me out because I typically get grades of around a/a*, and my cw is worth 20%. Am I still able to achieve a* without having to get full marks in the exam?

thank you

it’s not impossible, but you will have to make sure you’re getting enough marks across your exam papers to get to get into the A* band to outweigh the coursework marks. however considering you already typically get grades of a/a* and the coursework is only worth 20% i’m sure you’ll be fine!
Reply 3
Original post by roachflower
it depends, what grades did you get last year? if you got high marks last year, that means added with this years you should be able to get it.

i didn't do AS so it depends on my final exams this year, when I mentioned my previous grades I was referencing my mocks
Reply 4
Original post by sonya05

thank you

That's only a provisional mark - coursework is moderated externally.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
That's only a provisional mark - coursework is moderated externally.

yeah thats what my teacher told us, but he also said that in all the years that he worked at my school they had never had a grade changes :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by sonya05
yeah thats what my teacher told us, but he also said that in all the years that he worked at my school they had never had a grade changes :frown:

There's no grade associated with marks at the moment - he can't tell what will happen this year.

It's very early to be telling you marks btw.
There's no grade associated with marks at the moment - he can't tell what will happen this year.

It's very early to be telling you marks btw.

Is it? We got told our geography coursework marks well before this when I did them (sometime before schools closed in 2020). So did a lot of other people I spoke to online/from other schools.
In terms of grade boundaries, I've been hearing that they want to get them to a place in between those of last year and 2019. So maybe find the 2019 grade boundaries and raise them by 2-3 marks? Idk, that's what I did.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Uni_student3132
Is it? We got told our geography coursework marks well before this when I did them (sometime before schools closed in 2020). So did a lot of other people I spoke to online/from other schools.

2020 was a covid year - we haven't released marks yet.
Reply 10

idk i got my cw marks back for both English and history

2020 was a covid year, but we didn't know that when we got our coursework marks back. We were clearly told that they could change when moderated by the exam board (although that obviously didn't happen for us). I think your school might be the exception here.
Reply 12
Original post by sonya05
idk i got my cw marks back for both English and history

Have you appealed your mark?
Reply 13
Have you appealed your mark?

idk is it worth is to appeal? my teacher has said that the marking has always been fair and than no one ever appeals, at my skl at least
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by sonya05
idk is it worth is to appeal? my teacher has said that the marking has always been fair and than no one ever appeals, at my skl at least

It's a school appeal - which board? Do you think you deserved more?
Reply 15
"What materials should the centre make available to candidates so they can decide whether to proceed with a request for a review of an internal assessment?
Generally, copies of the marked assessment materials and the mark scheme or assessment criteria should be made available, as a minimum. Additional materials may vary from subject to subject. For some marked assessment materials, such as artwork and recordings, it may be more appropriate for them to be shared under supervised conditions."
https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Notice-to-Centres-Informing-candidates-of-their-centre-assessed-marks_2223_FINAL.pdf
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by sonya05

I do AQA so idk if there's any differences with appealing, but I believe you only have 2 business days since receiving your mark to appeal, and it costs like £200 to do so. I've also been told that by appealing, you'll be appealing the process that was undertaken to reach the mark, not the mark itself

Quick Reply

Latest