The Student Room Group

Panicking about numeracy and literacy tests at interview!

May seem silly as applications are not even open to send yet, but I have picked my 4 training providers ready for the 10th. I have been researching these providers and they all (obviously) require a literacy and numeracy skills test, some even skills tests.

I've never been strong mathematically and I am having to take an equivalency test for my GCSE also. I have level 2 functional skills but it is not considered an appropriate equivalent for IIT - so I am worried about being rejected purely on this basis, but with the added stress of the skills tests I am almost certain I will not be considered beyond interview if I am lucky enough to be offered one.

I am hoping to train to be a drama teacher, and am just searching for some advice or resources to help with the skills tests if possible, or someone to give me a slap round the face and calm me down...I am so nervous.

TIA!
Original post by auroragroh
May seem silly as applications are not even open to send yet, but I have picked my 4 training providers ready for the 10th. I have been researching these providers and they all (obviously) require a literacy and numeracy skills test, some even skills tests.

I've never been strong mathematically and I am having to take an equivalency test for my GCSE also. I have level 2 functional skills but it is not considered an appropriate equivalent for IIT - so I am worried about being rejected purely on this basis, but with the added stress of the skills tests I am almost certain I will not be considered beyond interview if I am lucky enough to be offered one.

I am hoping to train to be a drama teacher, and am just searching for some advice or resources to help with the skills tests if possible, or someone to give me a slap round the face and calm me down...I am so nervous.

TIA!

Hey Tia,

Virtual slap coming your way. 😂 Just kidding I was in the same position in February this year when I was applying. My teacher application advisor was really helpful and told me most of those should be testing at around the year 7 level. Some providers may giver harder tests but you’ve got to ask yourself if you really want to train with someone who makes the application that hard.

.gov.uk has some useful info on psychometric tests and shl tests have some tricky samples if you want to practise some hard questions. I practised some hard ones and it got me more worried. I’m on a SCITT course and the English and Maths test were fairly basic.

Best of luck!
Original post by auroragroh

TIA!

Hello @auroragroh

The standard Literacy and Numeracy tests were abolished some time ago now, and replaced with the expectation that the teacher training course providers are quality assuring that all candidates are sufficiently suitable to teach these aspects through their lessons. Some providers will do test in their interviews, many wont. Ask the four you've short-listed how they ensure that you'll meet the expectations of literacy and numeracy on their courses. (BEFORE you apply!)

It's worth speaking with an Get into Teaching adviser - who will help you with drafting your personal statement and prepare for your interviews. They will be able to help to reduce any anxiety you have regarding your application.

All the very best!

Jane

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending