The Student Room Group

Should I list informal experience as Informal?

So I'm jobhunting for the 1st time in a while and in 1 of my current roles, I do some informal stuff which is relevant for a lot of jobs I'm interested in but it isn't formally part of my job.

Do I mention it is informal or do I just say I do it?

ie

I do ...
or
I informally do...

The joys of working in competitive fields and stressing about minor semantics.
My perspective is that if it's a task you do at work then it's part of your job! You're giving your labour to do that while being paid by the company. I'd call that a job :wink:

If you're overly concerned though you could phrase it along the lines of "also in the course of my job as X I have done Y for the company" or something? As that makes it more clear you definitely have done it in the line of your work, but that it's not specifically your day to day work.
Reply 2
As long as you’re competently doing the things and and can discuss credibly them at interview, then go for it. I’ve never seen anyone saying they were doing something informally on a cv and I think it would come across as a bit strange. Also cvs typically present things in the best possible light without absolutely deceiving
Reply 3
Original post by quasa
So I'm jobhunting for the 1st time in a while and in 1 of my current roles, I do some informal stuff which is relevant for a lot of jobs I'm interested in but it isn't formally part of my job.

Do I mention it is informal or do I just say I do it?

Job descriptions typically have a catch-all line saying something like "other duties as assigned"; so anything you're asked to do is part of your job even if it's not specifically called out in your job description or related to your job title.

I think it would be odd to refer to doing something "informally", as that might be read as meaning that you're doing something "under the radar" that perhaps you shouldn't be doing (and hence that you might do the same at the new job).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending