The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

QMUL right to cancel offer acceptance after 14 days

Hey I’m hoping that someone can help me! I received a conditional offer from QMUL for postgraduate study. Unfortunately they have assessed my fee status incorrecly (I checked that with a welfare advisor from the uni). So Last Friday, I wrote a formal appeal to the admissions team that assesses fee status and received a confirmation email saying that they will try to work on my case within 20 days. My problem/question is regarding my cancellation right. As I took the (conditional) offer on the 20th of may, my legal right to withdraw my confirmation of acceptance is valid until the 4th of June 2023. Unfortunately, I do not see a possibility for me to pay the increased fees as an international student and would need to cancel my application if the assessment would come to the conclusion to assess me as international. The website of Queen Mary states the following regarding rights to cancel:*"While 14 days is the legal maximum period within which you can cancel acceptance of your offer, we will normally consider cancellation requests once this period has elapsed, where possible.“*

Would you advise me to wait for the response of the admissions team even after the 4th of June because the website states that they take cancellations after the 14 days time frame? Or do you think I should not risk and make a decision within my 14 day cancellation right?
I would call QMUL admissions and ask whether failing to be reassessed as a home fees payer would be grounds to receive a refund/cancel after the 14 day period.

If they say yes, email them and get something in writing. Take the name of the person you speak to on the phone and make reference to the guidance you received.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
I would call QMUL admissions and ask whether failing to be reassessed as a home fees payer would be grounds to receive a refund/cancel after the 14 day period.

If they say yes, email them and get something in writing. Take the name of the person you speak to on the phone and make reference to the guidance you received.

Unfortunately the QMUL admission have no number to call and the student advisor I talked to today said he couldn’t help me and I needed to write an email to the admissions team. As I already wrote an email like this two weeks ago I don’t feel confident that they will answer me :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Unfortunately the QMUL admission have no number to call and the student advisor I talked to today said he couldn’t help me and I needed to write an email to the admissions team. As I already wrote an email like this two weeks ago I don’t feel confident that they will answer me :frown:

Having the exact same issue, any updates? Which student advisor were you able to reach?
Me too, any other ways to approach them? I tried emails, portals, and calls but with no luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending