The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

joelio36

Haha I don't think posting this under a category viewed by people who are planning to study English Literature in University was a good idea!

But I agree with you, there are far too many degrees that are no use to society whatsoever.

Let me ask the albeit biased readers of this thread a hypothetical (or in some cases real) question:

You have been studying English Literature for 4 years, and now have a Masters Degree in English Lit. Who do you think will employ you?

Sure you studied a fairly rigourous subject, but it has scarce applications to todays economy; the number of students taking English Lit severely outnumbers the number of jobs available in this sector.

Surely the key skills you learn are transferable
- reading between the lines and complex analytical skills
- ability to scan and recognise important information quickly
- ability to form and support a point of view in a clear, cohesive manner
- ability to find strong evidence for a point quickly and then elaborate upon it.

if anyone would like to add to this list I'm sure there are more. Traditional degrees like this, even if they don't train you for a particular profession can give you strong transferable skills
Reply 21
So's your face (OP).

Oh, and I - not surprisingly - disagree.
you said this in that other thread just get a life and leave us all alone!
joelio36
Haha I don't think posting this under a category viewed by people who are planning to study English Literature in University was a good idea!

But I agree with you, there are far too many degrees that are no use to society whatsoever.

Let me ask the albeit biased readers of this thread a hypothetical (or in some cases real) question:

You have been studying English Literature for 4 years, and now have a Masters Degree in English Lit. Who do you think will employ you?

Sure you studied a fairly rigourous subject, but it has scarce applications to todays economy; the number of students taking English Lit severely outnumbers the number of jobs available in this sector.

English isn't a 'sector'. As gemini said it provides you with a range of skills rather than a few specific ones. One of the best things about it is that it doesn't limit you to a certain area.
English literature serves a purpose in many ways. For example, how long would it take a mthematician or physicist take to re-learn all their laws and derivations, they would not contribute much to adding to society's knowledge on their respective subject. Equally, with an English Literature degree, many graduates actually create some of their own literature, and sometimes even publish it *GASP* . They do this using the skills learnt from analysing previous literary masters, and occasionaly will improve on them, the same way math and science people do it. And if you're going to argue that books and fiction too are uselss, your opinion is contrary to most triple-digit IQ's... And anticipating another alternative attack on the actual lecturers who don't actually write anything themselves... We need someone to actually guide these prospective authors, so their job serves a purpose too...
And the point of this thread is?
Reply 26
the fact people are challenging me and the thread itself rather than the issue here proves I am right in saying there is no use of analysing literature. It may be intresting, but it isn't a life skill which helps anything other than enjoyment and so should not qualify as a uni degree. And for those who commented on me not spelling intresting right, thats called spelling of a word in a language, not being ignorant of its literature.
wow. you really are quite illiterate, aren't you. :no:
Haha, insult everyone doing English lit lol
But i kinda see what you mean, i wouldnt say it was completely pointless but its not realy going to get you anywhere specific.
Reply 29
I don't want to get into arguements about how worthy a certain degree is, because I don't think that English lit is a mickey mouse degree.

However, I just do not understand whyyy we analyse texts the way we do... maybe it's just because I'm rubbish at it and so don't understand it properly, but it just always seems so obvious to the point where I didn't even think it was worth mentioning... But as I said, maybe it's just because I don't understand properly? Who knows.
Did your Eng. Lit. teacher upset you or what? What's with the multiple threads?!
Reply 31
tbh this guy has a point in a way. What use is there analysing what shakespeare wrote? how can it in anyway benefit the world? also there is no right or wrong answer so anybody could analyse it but you'd still be running round in circles because nobody will agree
Reply 32
rainbow drops
wow. you really are quite illiterate, aren't you. :no:

So are you, capital letters at the start of a sentence. :wink: grammar police ftl......
Danules
Whilst analysing literature is useless it is an intrest subject. However it is a waste of money on funding on degrees on this intrest where no skills that benefit people are gained.

Only 2 red gems. That's embarrassing.
random321
So are you, capital letters at the start of a sentence. :wink:

oh no, you got me.
beesbees
Oh who gives a toss, study what you want and leave others alone, jesus...

taxpayer?
What is the point of theoretical physics? Why don't all pure mathematicians become applied ones so that people like the OP can be satisfied that they are serving an actual purpose? What is the point of studying History? Why study anything biological, there are far more benefits for society if all science students were to become engineers... Yet I'm seeing a distinctive lack of people advocating this... (Now I know I'm just going to get a storm of replies)
Reply 37
rainbow drops
oh no, you got me.

oh no you got the OP for his grammatical mistakes. Hypocrite?
random321
oh no you got the OP for his grammatical mistakes. Hypocrite?

i was being sarcastic. i don't capitalise words on TSR because i'm lazy, whereas the original post doesn't actually make sense. my grammar's fine.
Reply 39
Believe it or not, not everyone's priorities are crosshaired at how many figures your salary after university will contain.

In a world where an English Literature degree would never have existed, there would be no Stephen Fry, no Jeremy Paxman, and half the books that have changed my life would cease to exist, and, consequentially, I would too.

A world like this sounds like an easy ticket for my own pre-ordered midlife crisis. Which I'd rather avoid. Give it a rest, fella.

Latest

Trending

Trending