The Student Room Group

Student finance and foundation years??

I was just looking at Liverpool University's biological sciences foundation year, and saw that the tuition fee for said year is £5140. I was wondering how student finance would work with this? I know it covers up to £9250, but in this case there would be quite a bit of an overshoot? Is there separate student finance for foundation years or, god forbid, do I have to pay out of my own pocket upfront? Just a bit confused on how it would work really.

I know the foundation year isn't a programme in itself, and that you jump onto a relevant degree after, so I would've thought (hopefully) that you could apply separately and still get funding for both or something, but as it's a Russel group I'm not sure. I'm surprised the foundation years exist. Sorry, I'm quite slow with financial stuff.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by astrocarbs
I was just looking at Liverpool University's biological sciences foundation year, and saw that the tuition fee for said year is £5140. I was wondering how student finance would work with this? I know it covers up to £9250, but in this case there would be quite a bit of an overshoot? Is there separate student finance for foundation years or, god forbid, do I have to pay out of my own pocket upfront? Just a bit confused on how it would work really.

I know the foundation year isn't a programme in itself, and that you jump onto a relevant degree after, so I would've thought (hopefully) that you could apply separately and still get funding for both or something, but as it's a Russel group I'm not sure. I'm surprised the foundation years exist. Sorry, I'm quite slow with financial stuff.

Hi there,

I've checked this course on our database and the fees are indeed showing as £5,140. This just means the fees for the foundation year are less for whatever reason.

So, we'll only pay that amount and you don't have to cover any of the fees yourself.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending