The Student Room Group

GCSEs: advice for those worrying about gcse results and unis

hello everyone who got their GCSE results this year! i hope you are proud of what you have accomplished! if you are not, i want you to read this: unless you are thinking of applying to oxbridge, basically all other unis will NOT take your GCSEs into account. i want to clarify this because i have seen a lot of worries year 11s post a lot of panicky forums! please DO NOT worry!! these results that you may not be proud of should give you motivation to set higher goals for your next steps. trust me, this is coming from someone who underperformed according to herself and her parents, and who has a heavy load of academic family expectations (not me being Black, the oldest and the only girl :frown:)! yes it is tough - but i (and your fellow TSR members) am here to support you :biggrin:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by emm4nuella
hello everyone who got their GCSE results this year! i hope you are proud of what you have accomplished! if you are not, i want you to read this: unless you are thinking of applying to oxbridge, basically all other unis will NOT take your GCSEs into account. i want to clarify this because i have seen a lot of worries year 11s post a lot of panicky forums! please DO NOT worry!! these results that you may not be proud of should give you motivation to set higher goals for your next steps. trust me, this is coming from someone who underperformed according to herself and her parents, and have a lot of family expectations! yes it is tough - but i (and your fellow TSR members) am here to support you :biggrin:

Thank you so much for this, its really uplifting ☺️!!
Original post by Giftedandlifted
Thank you so much for this, its really uplifting ☺️!!

no problem! please share this thread to your friends or anyone else who may feeling downhearted about their results! i really want to give them a boost of confidence <3 (applies to everyone else btw, not just Giftedandlifted :biggrin:)
(edited 8 months ago)
no problem! please share this thread to your friends or anyone else who may feeling downhearted about their results! i really want to give them a boost of confidence <3

I will!!
i would like as many people as possible to see this. because i felt like i disappointed basically everyone around me with my GCSE results, it did affect me quite mentally. i do not want people to go through the same things like i did, feeling like a failure, not even wanting to live life etc! therefore this i cannot stress: if you know anyone who felt downhearted or felt like they underperformed, i want them to read this and hopefully it will make their day.
Original post by Giftedandlifted
I will!!

thanks a lot :smile:
Just a point of order on the above, only LSE or Oxford applicants and Medicine applicants need to factor in GCSEs for university in real terms.

Cambridge do not look at GCSEs, contrary to what is said above.

99% of unis will ask for a pass in English and Maths and that's it.

If you tried your best, that's all that matters
#BeResultsProud
Original post by 04MR17
Just a point of order on the above, only LSE or Oxford applicants and Medicine applicants need to factor in GCSEs for university in real terms.

Cambridge do not look at GCSEs, contrary to what is said above.

99% of unis will ask for a pass in English and Maths and that's it.

If you tried your best, that's all that matters
#BeResultsProud

oh sorry about that mistake! :frown:
hello everyone who got their GCSE results this year! i hope you are proud of what you have accomplished! if you are not, i want you to read this: unless you are thinking of applying to oxbridge, basically all other unis will NOT take your GCSEs into account. i want to clarify this because i have seen a lot of worries year 11s post a lot of panicky forums! please DO NOT worry!! these results that you may not be proud of should give you motivation to set higher goals for your next steps. trust me, this is coming from someone who underperformed according to herself and her parents, and who has a heavy load of academic family expectations (not me being Black, the oldest and the only girl :frown:)! yes it is tough - but i (and your fellow TSR members) am here to support you :biggrin:

This is a good sentiment, but tell that to the rice cooker spoon the deadliest weapon in the house
Original post by WILLIAM_STROUD
This is a good sentiment, but tell that to the rice cooker spoon the deadliest weapon in the house

haha!! :biggrin:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest