The Student Room Group

Btec grade calculator for uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DataVenia
The coursework units in which you got a merit are both 60 GLH. A merit in a 60 GLH unit internal (coursework) unit earns you 10 points, whilst a distinction earns you 16 points. So you'd bump the 209 points which the top screenshot shows (which is a DDM) up to 215. For a DDD you need 216 points. Close, but not quite there. :frown:
So to be sure of the DDD you have to turn both of those merits into distinctions. In reality, you may well be at DDD anyway, and you've very likely to be at a DDD if you just turn one of those merits into a distinction. But there's a slim chance (if you just scraped the grades you've listed for your examined units) that this is not the case.

Thank you so much I contacted my exam officers to get the marks as I want to be sure before redoing anything once I receive them I will let you know. And ask you again to kindly help me with my overall predicted grades you are so kind and thanks 🙏
Original post by bronwyndube
please may someone calculate my overall grade i took business level 3 national extended diploma
unit 1: distinction
unit 2: merit
unit 3: merit
unit 4: distinction
unit 8: distinction
unit 21: distinction
unit 6: pass
unit 7: pass
unit 9: distinction
unit 19: distinction
unit 5: distinction
unit 18: merit
unit 17: distinction

@bronwyndube - As you'll have noticed I said to the other posters, without your marks for your examined units, all I can offer is a grade range. Based upon the unit grades above, your overall grade will be between DDD and D*D*D.

The DDD scenario is below. Please check I've got your units / grades correct.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - bronwyndube - DDD.JPG

The below shows the same unit grades but a different overall grade, due to the impact of assuming better marks (but the same grades) for your exams.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - bronwyndube - DstarDstarD.JPG
@bronwyndube - As you'll have noticed I said to the other posters, without your marks for your examined units, all I can offer is a grade range. Based upon the unit grades above, your overall grade will be between DDD and D*D*D.
The DDD scenario is below. Please check I've got your units / grades correct.
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - bronwyndube - DDD.JPG
The below shows the same unit grades but a different overall grade, due to the impact of assuming better marks (but the same grades) for your exams.
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - bronwyndube - DstarDstarD.JPG

thank you so much
Original post by bronwyndube
thank you so much

You're very welcome.
OK. As the number of points associated with each external (examined) unit is based on your mark and not just you're grade, I can only estimate your overall grade.
Please check the right-most (Unit Grade) column below to ensure I've entered each of your grades into the calculator correctly. For each exam I've entered the minimum number of points you could have achieved and still received that unit grade. So the minimum overall grade you have is DDM.
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DDM.JPG
The way external (examined) units work is on a sliding scale. Let's take unit 7 (Business Decision Making) as an example. If you'd just scraped a pass you'd get 12 points (which is what I entered above), and if you'd have just scraped a merit you'd have got 20 points. However, if you're just under a merit (so still a pass), then don't drop you down to 12 points - they give you 19. You get almost the merits points and you were almost at a merit. If you were mid-way between the two grade boundaries, you'd get "midway" points - so 16. Does that makes sense? If we do the calculation again, but assuming that you achieved the highest mark in each exam (but still within the grade we know you received) then your overall grade becomes a DDD:
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DDD.JPG
There's no way to tell whether you have a DDM or a DDD without knowing your mark for each exam and the exam series in which you took each exam (e.g. Summer 2023) - because that tells us the applicable grade boundaires. Actually, better still would be if you know the points per exam. But people rarely know that.

Can someone help me predict what my grade overall might be?I cant find any grade calculators online:Where I put two grades it means there are two assignments for that unit.
Unit 1: D
Unit 2: M
unit 3: D,M
Unit 4: D,D
Unit 5: D,D
Unit 6: D,D
Can you also tell me any link i can use to calculate?
Original post by EVRT808
Can someone help me predict what my grade overall might be?I cant find any grade calculators online:Where I put two grades it means there are two assignments for that unit.

Some questions:
Is this a BTEC? Or some other qualification?
If it's a BTEC, what type/size is it? The fact that you've listed six units suggests that it might be Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma, but that's a bit of a guess.
What subject is it? (E.g. Applied Science, Business, etc.)
Some questions:
Is this a BTEC? Or some other qualification?
If it's a BTEC, what type/size is it? The fact that you've listed six units suggests that it might be Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma, but that's a bit of a guess.
What subject is it? (E.g. Applied Science, Business, etc.)

Hi! Thank you so much for replying. It is Level 3 BTEC national Foundation diploma in IT with 6 units
Original post by EVRT808

Original post by EVRT808
Hi! Thank you so much for replying. It is Level 3 BTEC national Foundation diploma in IT with 6 units

Excellent. Before I do the grade calculation itself, I'm just going to clarify a few points.

You asked for a link to a grade calculator. The only official calculators I know of are on the Pearson BTEC web site here. For your BTEC, you'll want the top one, "BTEC Nationals - Grade Calculator". Note that this is in the form on an Excel spreadsheet and you'll need to enable macros to use it.

All BTECs I've seen say something along the lines of this (which I'm quoting from the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Information Technology specification): "When a learner has completed all the assessment for a unit then the assessment team will give a grade for the unit. This is given simply according to the highest level for which the learner is judged to have met all the criteria." They go on to clarify that "to achieve a Distinction, a learner must have satisfied all the Distinction criteria (and therefore the Pass and Merit criteria)". I point this out to explain why I've used an M for your Unit 3 grade.

The way your overall grade is calculated is to allocate points to each unit, sum those points, and then map those total points onto an overall grade. I mention this because although for all internal units (the ones based on coursework) your points are impacted only by the grade and the size of the unit, for external units (the ones based on exams) your points are also based on the actual mark you received. As I don't know your mark (and you may not either), I can only estimate the points you'll have earned. This applies to Unit 2 only (it doesn't apply to Unit 1 as you got a distinction, meaning you get the maximum points for that unit anyway). However, whether you just scraped a Merit or were 1 mark off a Distinction in Unit 2, it makes no difference to your overall grade. I've therefore picked the mid-point in the illustration below.

OK, now that's all out of the way I can confirm that your overall points are between 118 and 126 (depending on your mark for Unit 2). Either gives you a grade D overall:

BTEC Nationals Foundation Diploma - Information Technology - EVRT808 - D.JPG
Excellent. Before I do the grade calculation itself, I'm just going to clarify a few points.
You asked for a link to a grade calculator. The only official calculators I know of are on the Pearson BTEC web site here. For your BTEC, you'll want the top one, "BTEC Nationals - Grade Calculator". Note that this is in the form on an Excel spreadsheet and you'll need to enable macros to use it.
All BTECs I've seen say something along the lines of this (which I'm quoting from the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Information Technology specification): "When a learner has completed all the assessment for a unit then the assessment team will give a grade for the unit. This is given simply according to the highest level for which the learner is judged to have met all the criteria." They go on to clarify that "to achieve a Distinction, a learner must have satisfied all the Distinction criteria (and therefore the Pass and Merit criteria)". I point this out to explain why I've used an M for your Unit 3 grade.
The way your overall grade is calculated is to allocate points to each unit, sum those points, and then map those total points onto an overall grade. I mention this because although for all internal units (the ones based on coursework) your points are impacted only by the grade and the size of the unit, for external units (the ones based on exams) your points are also based on the actual mark you received. As I don't know your mark (and you may not either), I can only estimate the points you'll have earned. This applies to Unit 2 only (it doesn't apply to Unit 1 as you got a distinction, meaning you get the maximum points for that unit anyway). However, whether you just scraped a Merit or were 1 mark off a Distinction in Unit 2, it makes no difference to your overall grade. I've therefore picked the mid-point in the illustration below.
OK, now that's all out of the way I can confirm that your overall points are between 118 and 126 (depending on your mark for Unit 2). Either gives you a grade D overall:
BTEC Nationals Foundation Diploma - Information Technology - EVRT808 - D.JPG

Thank you so much for this! It was so helpful omg and thank you for taking the time to do this I really appreciate it : >
Original post by EVRT808
Thank you so much for this! It was so helpful omg and thank you for taking the time to do this I really appreciate it : >

You're most welcome.
You have your MMM. :biggrin:
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Enterprise and Entrepeneurship - JBJ18 - MMM.JPG
(Please double check I've entered each grade per unit correctly.)
Note that the points you get for examined unit is on a sliding scale. So you get fewer points for just scraping a Pass than you do if you were almost at a Merit. The above at the minimum points you could get for each of the examined units. If I take the maximums instead, you'd be on DMM. So you overall grade of one of those two. Well done. :smile:

how did you get that grading systems,
thank you
Original post by Eman khan
how did you get that grading systems,
thank you

The official grade calculators are on the Pearson web set here. Most people will want to use "BTEC Nationals - Grade Calculator". Note that these calculators are Excel spreadsheets, and require macros to be enabled.
Hey can someone tell me what can be my final grade for my first year of BTEc IT course! So if i have:
Unit 1 (exam)(120) - M
Unit 2 (exam) - M
Unit 3 - D
Unit 4 - D
Unit 5 - D
Unit 6 -D
Thanksss
Original post by krasimiraruseva
Hey can someone tell me what can be my final grade for my first year of BTEc IT course! So if i have:
Unit 1 (exam)(120) - M
Unit 2 (exam) - M
Unit 3 - D
Unit 4 - D
Unit 5 - D
Unit 6 -D
Thanksss

You probably have a D, but it's possible you have a D*. Let me explain...

First, can you confirm that the full two-year course you're taking is a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Information Technology?

BTEC grades are points based. Each unit earns you points, which depends on the unit size (in guided learning hours, GLH), the grade, and - in the case of external units - the mark). They sum these unit points to get an overall number of points, and then convert that into an overall grade.

As we don't know your marks for Unit 1 and Unit 2, I'm going to assume you're right in the middle of the M grade - i.e. exactly half-way between the P/M and the M/D boundaries.

Unit 1 is a 120 GLH external unit, so an M earns you between 20 and 31 points (depending on your mark). I'll assume 25 points.
Unit 2 is a 90 GLH external unit, so an M earns you between 15 and 23 points (depending on your mark). I'll assume 19 points.
Unit 3 is a 90 GLH internal unit, so and D earns you 24 points.
Unit 4 is a 90 GLH internal unit, so and D earns you 24 points.
Unit 5 is a 60 GLH internal unit, so and D earns you 16 points.
Unit 6 is a 60 GLH internal unit, so and D earns you 16 points.

So you have an estimated 124 overall points right now. The first year of your two-year Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Information Technology contains the same units as the one-year Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Information Technology, so we can see what those points mean in terms of a grade.

If the 124-point estimate is correct (which it might not be, as it depends on your marks) you'd have an overall grade D. In fact, even if you achieved the lowest marks possible in Unit 1 and Unit 2 require to get a grade M in those units (i.e. if your mark had just reached the M boundary), then you'd still have an D overall. However, a D* only needs 130 points, so it's possible that's your year-one grade (if the marks in Unit 1 and Unit 2 were towards the top end of the M grade band).
You probably have a D, but it's possible you have a D*. Let me explain...
First, can you confirm that the full two-year course you're taking is a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Information Technology?
BTEC grades are points based. Each unit earns you points, which depends on the unit size (in guided learning hours, GLH), the grade, and - in the case of external units - the mark). They sum these unit points to get an overall number of points, and then convert that into an overall grade.
As we don't know your marks for Unit 1 and Unit 2, I'm going to assume you're right in the middle of the M grade - i.e. exactly half-way between the P/M and the M/D boundaries.
Unit 1 is a 120 GLH external unit, so an M earns you between 20 and 31 points (depending on your mark). I'll assume 25 points.
Unit 2 is a 90 GLH external unit, so an M earns you between 15 and 23 points (depending on your mark). I'll assume 19 points.
Unit 3 is a 90 GLH internal unit, so and D earns you 24 points.
Unit 4 is a 90 GLH internal unit, so and D earns you 24 points.
Unit 5 is a 60 GLH internal unit, so and D earns you 16 points.
Unit 6 is a 60 GLH internal unit, so and D earns you 16 points.
So you have an estimated 124 overall points right now. The first year of your two-year Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Information Technology contains the same units as the one-year Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Information Technology, so we can see what those points mean in terms of a grade.
If the 124-point estimate is correct (which it might not be, as it depends on your marks) you'd have an overall grade D. In fact, even if you achieved the lowest marks possible in Unit 1 and Unit 2 require to get a grade M in those units (i.e. if your mark had just reached the M boundary), then you'd still have an D overall. However, a D* only needs 130 points, so it's possible that's your year-one grade (if the marks in Unit 1 and Unit 2 were towards the top end of the M grade band).

Thank you so much
OK. As the number of points associated with each external (examined) unit is based on your mark and not just you're grade, I can only estimate your overall grade.
Please check the right-most (Unit Grade) column below to ensure I've entered each of your grades into the calculator correctly. For each exam I've entered the minimum number of points you could have achieved and still received that unit grade. So the minimum overall grade you have is DDM.
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DDM.JPG
The way external (examined) units work is on a sliding scale. Let's take unit 7 (Business Decision Making) as an example. If you'd just scraped a pass you'd get 12 points (which is what I entered above), and if you'd have just scraped a merit you'd have got 20 points. However, if you're just under a merit (so still a pass), then don't drop you down to 12 points - they give you 19. You get almost the merits points and you were almost at a merit. If you were mid-way between the two grade boundaries, you'd get "midway" points - so 16. Does that makes sense? If we do the calculation again, but assuming that you achieved the highest mark in each exam (but still within the grade we know you received) then your overall grade becomes a DDD:
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DDD.JPG
There's no way to tell whether you have a DDM or a DDD without knowing your mark for each exam and the exam series in which you took each exam (e.g. Summer 2023) - because that tells us the applicable grade boundaires. Actually, better still would be if you know the points per exam. But people rarely know that.

hey, i was just wanted to ask, say for example you get passes in all 4 exams and you get distinctions in the rest of the units what would your overall grade be?
thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending