The Student Room Group

Most effienct way to revise poltics and sociology a level.

Ok so I’m nearing the end of my head 12 summer break. GCSEs was terrible so I’ll admit I sat back for the whole of y12 and Finsihed the ur with predicted CCD. I haven’t done much this summer and I have 2 weeks to revise/learn all the content in uear 12 and prepare for my September mocks which is my only shot of upping my predicted grades. I was zoned out for most classswz and since I neber revised I have pretty much no recollection of what I’ve learnt the entire year which is why I’ll probably habe to retract myself the entire years work for all my subjects. I’ve been looking around at how I can revise effectively as I need to go from a D in poltics to an A and a C in sociology to an A/A* ( I was a mark from a B on my last mock and I haven’t revised at all but I find it my easiest subject so I truly believe if I actually revise I can get a top grade in that) but I see everyone say they took notes etc. I do not want to waste time making notes for months of content and THEN revising it with flashcards and then making essay plans. I feel like at the end of the day all I need to know is the content so I can make essay plans and start answering past papers right?
But nobody really says that and I don’t want to revise the wrong way or under revise and flop my mocks.
But I don’t think I have time to go through everything and make notes it feels like a waste of time when the aim should be to memories content.
So to anyoen that is doing or did these subjects what the best/quickest way to revise effectively and get too grades?
I make my flashcards online so If I don’t make notes my folders would have practically nothing in it which also makes me feel like maybe it’s under revising to not make nots but I don’t know…
Original post by TTAva2000
Ok so I’m nearing the end of my head 12 summer break. GCSEs was terrible so I’ll admit I sat back for the whole of y12 and Finsihed the ur with predicted CCD. I haven’t done much this summer and I have 2 weeks to revise/learn all the content in uear 12 and prepare for my September mocks which is my only shot of upping my predicted grades. I was zoned out for most classswz and since I neber revised I have pretty much no recollection of what I’ve learnt the entire year which is why I’ll probably habe to retract myself the entire years work for all my subjects. I’ve been looking around at how I can revise effectively as I need to go from a D in poltics to an A and a C in sociology to an A/A* ( I was a mark from a B on my last mock and I haven’t revised at all but I find it my easiest subject so I truly believe if I actually revise I can get a top grade in that) but I see everyone say they took notes etc. I do not want to waste time making notes for months of content and THEN revising it with flashcards and then making essay plans. I feel like at the end of the day all I need to know is the content so I can make essay plans and start answering past papers right?
But nobody really says that and I don’t want to revise the wrong way or under revise and flop my mocks.
But I don’t think I have time to go through everything and make notes it feels like a waste of time when the aim should be to memories content.
So to anyoen that is doing or did these subjects what the best/quickest way to revise effectively and get too grades?
I make my flashcards online so If I don’t make notes my folders would have practically nothing in it which also makes me feel like maybe it’s under revising to not make nots but I don’t know…

Making notes is kind of useless bc don't you get your school notes anyway? Making flash cards online is really effective. You just need to make sure you're testing yourself every day. When you go into year 13, make sure you learn the content that you are taught in college the same day, as it'll make everything easier in the long term. Also make sure you're incorporating exam questions into your revision. Its fundamental to learn mark scheme language and the only way youll be able to do this is by doing exam questions and marking them yourself. Maybe do some blurting too where you first learn the content via flash cards and a couple days later you jot down everything you remember and then add the stuff you didnt remember in a different colour then repeat the process. Honestly sociology and politics are both subjects that you can do extremely well in as the content isnt that hard to understand so try and grasp the opportunity and just do a couple hours of revision each day. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TTAva2000

Hiya! I also do sociology and for me i find the best way to revise is to make summary sheets for each topic, and then use them to make mindmaps/blurt on a whiteboard. I'll write down everything i remember from a small topic (for example educational policies) on a whiteboard and then ill compare it to my notes/summary sheets and add stuff that i missed in another colour and then write it all out again seeing if i can remember anything else after reading my notes again. I'll also do exam questions as practice in timed questions and make essay plans.

Tutor2u has some good videos on their youtube going over topics, and they have "revision blasts" that test your knowledge that i quite enjoy. They also now have "60 second sociology" that you can use to make some notes quickly or creating some summary sheets/flashcards, compared to writing out notes from a textbook (but they may not have all topics out yet but theyve got quite a lot). They've got everything in playlists so its super easy to navigate and order your notes. From the looks of it theyve also got a bit of stuff on politics too!! They've got a playlist of live revision blasts you could use for politics revision.

For finding already made notes theres an app called knowunity that people upload their notes too and theres some really good stuff on there, they've also got groupchats dedicated for subjects/year groups so you can ask questions and stuff too or ask if people have certain notes your after - i highly recommend it! If you do decide to get it and have any questions about the app or want any suggestions for which content to look at feel free to add me and ask my username is @l0ttie

I hope this can be helpful, good luck in your mocks!!

Quick Reply

Latest