The Student Room Group

Should I switch Art to Sociology in my IGCSES?

I’m currently in year 10 and finished my second week of the year and after taking one art class I’ve realised: ‘how am i going to keep up with the workload and unnecessary competition i form around me and my classmates?’

I’ve always been really interested in people and happened to study a lot about how factors can affect a person’s lifestyle, personality, etc. I’m also studying geography so if I take sociology it’d be good as they link up together quite nicely. All of my friends are taking art and, honestly, I’m afraid that if I switch (knowing that I’ve already received homework and a MASSIVE sketchbook to keep), people will question my decisions….

Yes I’m ultimately very concerned of people’s opinions of me cuz of things in the past but I just doubt how I’ll manage doing art whilst studying my other 8 subjects!!!! I love drawing and have since I was a child but I also had thoughts about being a fashion designer….convincing me to choose art for one of my choices… NOW I DON’T BECAUSE I DON’T FEEL CONFIDENT IN THAT ASPECT 😭😭 i’m heavily confused
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
I would suggest you switch from art to sociology, because art has a huge and demanding workload and along with your 8 other subjects, it is very very easy to fall behind and cause you unnecessary stress, trust me as someone taking GCSE art going into year 11, it is too much to balance, unless you are seriously willing to deal with that.

Also, don't take art just because your friends are or because people will question you if you drop it, this is your life and your future, who cares what others think. At the end of the day you will be the one sitting the exam, so don't let other's opinions control your life decisions.

It is a good idea to have some correlation between your subjects, so if sociology links with geography more then that's also something to consider.

So just think about your own feelings, without others clouding your judgement. Good luck! (:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you!! I’ll ask to change art next week and i’ve talked to my parents abt it too! I’ll have to remove my art club then since I signed up for it earlier 😅

Quick Reply

Latest