The Student Room Group

The Gap Year Thread 2023-24

The Gap Year Thread 2023-24 !
Taking a gap year for academic year 2023-24? Well this is the thread for you. :awesome:

There are lots of people who've been talking about doing a gap year next academic year: perhaps retaking some A Levels or doing other qualifications, perhaps just weighing up your options and applying to university, perhaps getting some job/life/travel experience before your next steps!

Introduce yourself below!

Username/Name:
What you're doing with your year:
Plans for after your gap year:
Favourite soft drink:

Give as much or as little detail as you're comfortable with. :yep:

If you're applying/reapplying for universities to start in September 2024 entry, check out the threads for applicants here. :smile: [note, this link may not work for a week or two]

If you'd like anything adding to the OP just let me know. :woo:

Resources
Gap Years: Useful links and advice is quite a lot to comb through, but it could help generate some ideas if you're not quite sure what to do :smile:

(edited 8 months ago)
Hiya:hello:

I'm a medical student who took an unexpected gap year for 2022/23.

Any questions are more than welcome:biggrin:

R
Reply 2
Hi! May I ask why you ended up taking a gap year and what you did for it. I'm also planning on taking one for this year as I fear I haven't achieved the grades I wanted but im worried universities may not allow resits.

Original post by _Rusty_
Hiya:hello:

I'm a medical student who took an unexpected gap year for 2022/23.

Any questions are more than welcome:biggrin:

R
Original post by mariam6879
Hi! May I ask why you ended up taking a gap year and what you did for it. I'm also planning on taking one for this year as I fear I haven't achieved the grades I wanted but im worried universities may not allow resits.

Hi,

I took a gap year because I didn’t do any of the correct things when applying to medicine - applying strategically, preparing sufficiently for interviews etc.

For my gap year I devoted my time to applying to medicine. I began working as a carer in a nursing home where I still work today. Although a gap year is very daunting, it is by far the best thing that I have ever done as it prepared me in more ways than one.

Most universities should allow resits, if you are unsure you can contact the specific unis you are looking at.

R
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi

I didn't get my grades for optometry this year, but I am planning to retake A2 so that I can hopefully get the grades. But my college haven't yet confirmed my decision to retake A2, so will you know if I can do my exams independently or with another college that allow resitting?
Original post by SimranjeetBanga
Hi

I didn't get my grades for optometry this year, but I am planning to retake A2 so that I can hopefully get the grades. But my college haven't yet confirmed my decision to retake A2, so will you know if I can do my exams independently or with another college that allow resitting?

Keep talking to your college, if they can't help you then yes look around other nearby colleges - get in touch and tell them you want to take qualifications through them as a private candidate. :smile:
:wavey:

I'm (vapor)dave. I planned to take a gap year up until last month, but I did poorly in my A-levels and now I'm taking a gap year again :redface:
My #1 priority is to resit A-levels and get decent grades, but I want to take this year to really work on my mental health and get the support I need to reach my potential. I don't really have anything planned except for a year-long Welsh course :lol:
I'm partial to an Irn Bru...
Original post by vapordave
:wavey:

I'm (vapor)dave. I planned to take a gap year up until last month, but I did poorly in my A-levels and now I'm taking a gap year again :redface:
My #1 priority is to resit A-levels and get decent grades, but I want to take this year to really work on my mental health and get the support I need to reach my potential. I don't really have anything planned except for a year-long Welsh course :lol:
I'm partial to an Irn Bru...

Best of luck:hugs:
Original post by _Rusty_
Best of luck:hugs:

:ta:
Hi, popping in to cheer on everyone undertaking a gap year!

I'm just wrapping up a gap year myself and getting ready to study psychology. If anybody has questions or concerns, please ask - we won't bite :biggrin:
Reply 10
Hi, my name is Julia.

The reason for my gap year is because I didn't get any offers for med due to my unstrategic application with a less than ideal UCAT resulting in no interviews. I've learnt not to do that this time round and try to maximise my chances playing to my strengths. Even though I missed a grade I'm contextual for the unis I'm applying for so I'd be able to apply and get an offer with the AAB. But just to be safe, I'll still resit the B.

I'm going to apply for a full or part time job so I have some money saved for uni as well as any activities or stuff I want to fund for this year. I'm also planning to get back to my volunteering job at the hospital to increase my work experience as well as be prepared for interviews. That's the priority this year as I hadn't been given the chance last time. I'm quite excited but kind of nervous for what's to come. Felt like I was missing out seeing friends getting ready to start uni this year but I'm glad I have this time to mature as a person and explore new things. Hopefully I can enjoy myself and secure offers this time around. Good luck with your gap years everyone <3

My favourite soft drink would have to be Fanta. 🙌
Original post by Julia_fox
Hi, my name is Julia.

The reason for my gap year is because I didn't get any offers for med due to my unstrategic application with a less than ideal UCAT resulting in no interviews. I've learnt not to do that this time round and try to maximise my chances playing to my strengths. Even though I missed a grade I'm contextual for the unis I'm applying for so I'd be able to apply and get an offer with the AAB. But just to be safe, I'll still resit the B.

I'm going to apply for a full or part time job so I have some money saved for uni as well as any activities or stuff I want to fund for this year. I'm also planning to get back to my volunteering job at the hospital to increase my work experience as well as be prepared for interviews. That's the priority this year as I hadn't been given the chance last time. I'm quite excited but kind of nervous for what's to come. Felt like I was missing out seeing friends getting ready to start uni this year but I'm glad I have this time to mature as a person and explore new things. Hopefully I can enjoy myself and secure offers this time around. Good luck with your gap years everyone <3

My favourite soft drink would have to be Fanta. 🙌

Welcome to the thread Julia, best of luck on your plans. It sounds like you know what you're doing and I hope you will be successful in receiving offers this year :smile:
Reply 12
Welcome to the thread Julia, best of luck on your plans. It sounds like you know what you're doing and I hope you will be successful in receiving offers this year :smile:

Thank you. Hopefully you smash the resit along with getting offers. We can do this!!! 😆
Reply 13
Username/Name: clozapine like the drug!
What you're doing with your year: I'm working at a kennels and cattery and I'm hoping to become fluent (or at least semi competent) in BSL, and get my BASI snowboarding instructing qualification. I'll also be looking after my brother and I've just started looking into options for affordable travel- also going to crack on with my to read list thats miles long from everything I've wanted to but was too busy to read in year 13.
Plans for after your gap year: starting uni!! I've got a deferred offer for vet med at nottingham starting in sept '24
Favourite soft drink: san pellegrino rossa!

enjoy your gap years everyone!!
I took an unexpected gap year for 2022-23, went clearing and into uni and out. I'm probably going to do a math + stat degree. I am wrapping this technical gap year myself.

Any questions, ask me.
Reply 15
The Gap Year Thread 2023-24 !
Taking a gap year for academic year 2023-24? Well this is the thread for you. :awesome:

There are lots of people who've been talking about doing a gap year next academic year: perhaps retaking some A Levels or doing other qualifications, perhaps just weighing up your options and applying to university, perhaps getting some job/life/travel experience before your next steps!

Introduce yourself below!

Username/Name:
What you're doing with your year:
Plans for after your gap year:
Favourite soft drink:

Give as much or as little detail as you're comfortable with. :yep:

If you're applying/reapplying for universities to start in September 2024 entry, check out the threads for applicants here. :smile: [note, this link may not work for a week or two]

If you'd like anything adding to the OP just let me know. :woo:

Resources
Gap Years: Useful links and advice is quite a lot to comb through, but it could help generate some ideas if you're not quite sure what to do :smile:

Hi , I want to retake criminology , psychology and finance as I got a DEU , I wanted ask how to apply through ucas and the private candidate route as my school does do gap years .
not sure if this counts as a gap year but unsure what to call it!

I did my A levels in 2021 and did well. Got to uni and I think it might have been the living completely independently that basically resulted in everything. I think I’m a massive people-pleaser (but like chronically) so living my like for me and not because I want to make someone else proud or because I’m trying to avoid disappointing someone was intense. I wasn’t looking after myself. I just didn’t have any motivation to live for myself - if I don’t eat, it doesn’t affect anyone else so why do it? If I go to lectures, no teacher is going to get angry at me for not making pretty notes. It sounds like I’m being ridiculous and attention-seeking but please try not to invalidate - I’ve learned that it’s something that happens to many others too.

For the first time in my life, I struggled with school - but not because I found it hard. That’s the most frustrating thing. Long story short, I ended up getting an ADHD diagnosis at the end of first year as well as depression and anxiety.

I did part of second year but I was still struggling with my mental health a lot so ended up withdrawing temporarily to work on my health and get treatment. The ADHD is definitely more manageable now with meds and therapy + ADHD coaching but living with my family again for the first time since I was 16 has …reminded me why I was so eager to leave at 16😂 so in some ways that’s been a bit of a nightmare - mental health wise but therapy is the current plan.

Recently realised that my previous course wasn’t what I wanted, it was what I thought I wanted because I liked how proud it made everyone feel. Currently just extended the temporary withdrawal for another year while applying via UCAS to other unis as well as waiting for the current uni to lmk if they can transfer me to a different department.

I’m doing much better overall and I’m finally excited to be studying my new subject at uni because I’ve always loved it, just never let myself see it as anything more than a personal interest in the past.

I am slightly concerned though about the fact that I’m now 21 years old applying for the first year of undergrad to start in sept. 2024. I’m technically a mature student but literally only just so where do I even fit in?

Is it weird to be surrounded by 18 year olds at 21? I’m also not experienced at life to be with the other ‘adults’ who have actually done things with their lives before returning to education.

Where do I fit in? Also can’t really drink because of ADHD meds so how on earth do I form a social life this time?

I haven’t seen anyone in a similar predicament on here so if anyone relates at all (even partly) please let me know!
Original post by SashaMerlin96
not sure if this counts as a gap year but unsure what to call it!

I did my A levels in 2021 and did well. Got to uni and I think it might have been the living completely independently that basically resulted in everything. I think I’m a massive people-pleaser (but like chronically) so living my like for me and not because I want to make someone else proud or because I’m trying to avoid disappointing someone was intense. I wasn’t looking after myself. I just didn’t have any motivation to live for myself - if I don’t eat, it doesn’t affect anyone else so why do it? If I go to lectures, no teacher is going to get angry at me for not making pretty notes. It sounds like I’m being ridiculous and attention-seeking but please try not to invalidate - I’ve learned that it’s something that happens to many others too.

For the first time in my life, I struggled with school - but not because I found it hard. That’s the most frustrating thing. Long story short, I ended up getting an ADHD diagnosis at the end of first year as well as depression and anxiety.

I did part of second year but I was still struggling with my mental health a lot so ended up withdrawing temporarily to work on my health and get treatment. The ADHD is definitely more manageable now with meds and therapy + ADHD coaching but living with my family again for the first time since I was 16 has …reminded me why I was so eager to leave at 16😂 so in some ways that’s been a bit of a nightmare - mental health wise but therapy is the current plan.

Recently realised that my previous course wasn’t what I wanted, it was what I thought I wanted because I liked how proud it made everyone feel. Currently just extended the temporary withdrawal for another year while applying via UCAS to other unis as well as waiting for the current uni to lmk if they can transfer me to a different department.

I’m doing much better overall and I’m finally excited to be studying my new subject at uni because I’ve always loved it, just never let myself see it as anything more than a personal interest in the past.

I am slightly concerned though about the fact that I’m now 21 years old applying for the first year of undergrad to start in sept. 2024. I’m technically a mature student but literally only just so where do I even fit in?

Is it weird to be surrounded by 18 year olds at 21? I’m also not experienced at life to be with the other ‘adults’ who have actually done things with their lives before returning to education.

Where do I fit in? Also can’t really drink because of ADHD meds so how on earth do I form a social life this time?

I haven’t seen anyone in a similar predicament on here so if anyone relates at all (even partly) please let me know!

A 3-year age gap in early adulthood? Unnoticeable. I am 20 and in my first year. I know people that are even older than me. We never encounter a problem. In fact, every time someone learns of my or someone else's age, the reaction is "No way!" and then gets promptly forgotten. You'll be fine in that regard :smile:

You can also still form a social life without drinking! There are plenty of non-alcoholic events at universities, societies don't involve alcohol for the most part... so you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Scotland Yard
A 3-year age gap in early adulthood? Unnoticeable. I am 20 and in my first year. I know people that are even older than me. We never encounter a problem. In fact, every time someone learns of my or someone else's age, the reaction is "No way!" and then gets promptly forgotten. You'll be fine in that regard :smile:

You can also still form a social life without drinking! There are plenty of non-alcoholic events at universities, societies don't involve alcohol for the most part... so you'll be fine :smile:

Okay I’m feeling a more reassured that you’re 20 in your first year. I know there’s nothing wrong with it. I turned 21 in January and idk it’s a big number lmao and I haven’t seen many threads of people starting their undergrads at 21

Quick Reply

Latest