The Student Room Group

For those applying to maths at uni, what excites you about it?

I like maths as much as anyone else in my further maths class but I honestly couldn’t imagine doing a degree in it . For sciences, humanities, etc I can understand how people can love them but I can’t for the life of me understand wanting to do exclusively maths for three years . So for those people who want to study maths , what makes it so interesting to you?
Reply 1
Original post by Peach_rose34
I like maths as much as anyone else in my further maths class but I honestly couldn’t imagine doing a degree in it . For sciences, humanities, etc I can understand how people can love them but I can’t for the life of me understand wanting to do exclusively maths for three years . So for those people who want to study maths , what makes it so interesting to you?

Maths is much more varied at degree level than A-level gives an impression of. It has a lot of rich ideas and manifold applications.
Reply 2
Original post by Peach_rose34

for me its honestly that feeling i get when I finally solve a problem after working on it or when a method finally clicks. i don't get the sort of joy out of any other subject not even close. i get bored really really easily (adhd lol) but maths is pretty good at keeping my attention. what makes you want to do your chosen degree?

Quick Reply

Latest