The Student Room Group

Should I negotiate the number of hours on a contract with Sainsbury's ?

Hi everyone! I am an international student in the UK. I am allowed to work 20 hours a week. I recently got a job offer to work as a Trading Assistant part time. The hours on my contract are only 12. Should I request them increase the number of hours on my contract ? Also, who should I contact regarding this? I am only getting emails from Sainsbury's Recruitment Team. Should I reply to them on the email they made the offer? Or should I call the store I have applied to?
Reply 1
Original post by bingbong12
Hi everyone! I am an international student in the UK. I am allowed to work 20 hours a week. I recently got a job offer to work as a Trading Assistant part time. The hours on my contract are only 12. Should I request them increase the number of hours on my contract ? Also, who should I contact regarding this? I am only getting emails from Sainsbury's Recruitment Team. Should I reply to them on the email they made the offer? Or should I call the store I have applied to?

I strongly suggest that you do not try to negotiate with the supermarket. This could well annoy them. At present, they probably only have 12 hours to 'spare' (unless there were many job opportunities available, with many different hours, and they happened to only offer you the one with lower hours) but even if extra hours are available they might be wanting to see how competent you are at the job. Once you start and have settled in, they may offer you occasional/regular overtime (check this is paid, and at what level) but, of course, this will need to fit in with what they require and what you can actual fit in amongst your studying. So for now, accept the offer (if that is what you want) and try to do well at your job. If you get on with your supervisor, you could bring up the idea of extra hours with them, but only in a nice, casual, friendly way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending