The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Which uni for Computer Science - KCL, Durham, Birmingham, Southampton, Bristol?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous #5
your son is his own person, it's not "we" applied or "our firm choice", it's his and his alone, his decision his course his life
"Yes Sir" :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by subodhr
Thanks. Yes, he is also more inclined towards KCL. Although we/he regret that we didn't apply for Warwick as we thought that Warwick might prefer more of Further Maths students, instead of Durham we should have applied Warwick OR may be UCL. Became active on this forum recently so somewhere based on many people's discussion, it felt like Durham was a waste choice for us. Anyways, all is well that's ends well. KCL or Southampton are also very good Unis

If I had the chance to reapply as well, I would have gone for Warwick over Durham too. I also probably would have swapped Manchester for Bath so I actually have an insurance choice. Durham left me waiting for a long, long time and the reason for rejection was generic and confusing. Having gotten into more competitive courses, Durham told me that the reason for rejection was "competitiveness of the applicant pool", which makes no sense when you see that there have been so many people getting in with worse grades than me getting in (I can't compare personal statements for obvious reasons because I don't know how good other people's statements are, but I think mine was half decent though there is a lot of room for improvement like actually mentioning UKMT Kangaroo certificates rather than leaving it out). There has also been an increased drive in them accepting more international students on the course, though they might have lower grades in comparison to some of the home applicant rejections. They are valuing international students more than home applicants, which is fair enough but there's basically no such thing as a home advantage. They are assigning substantially more places on the course for international students than home students. My friend sent an FOI request and he found that for Economics, one of the other most competitive courses at Durham, last year's group of people who were accepted consisted of 83% international students, which is insane!

UCL is great but the problem is their facility is quite outdated, funding problems across all departments and they too take a long time to get back to applicants and they also have the STAT admissions test which costs £124!! I'm already having to put out almost £200 in admissions tests through TMUA for Cambridge and STEP for Imperial without having to do the STAT for UCL ☠️. I wish these admissions tests were a lot cheaper than they are.
I go off research quality in this subject as that also suggests quality of teachers:
Best: Birmingham (94%)
Bristol (92%)
Southampton (90%)
KCL (89%)
Worst: Durham (86%)

But, for prestige (generally entry requirements for this subject which is based on the whims of universities and students to some extent as they dictate the number of places available and the demand for a particular place. High entry requirements can also give an artificial picture of the actual quality of that particular course at that university):
Best: Durham (88%)
Bristol (82%)
KCL (80%)
Southampton (78%)
Worst: Birmingham (74%)

Source: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest