The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Workload for part time (2 or 3 year) postgraduate anthropology courses?

I've been wanting to attend SOAS for postgraduate studies in anthropology but I have 2 kids and work full time.

I also worked full time in the last two years of my BA. It was difficult but not impossible to balance, though I didn't have children then! Luckily my current work schedule is quite flexible though.

I'm just really hopeful that I could make a 2 or 3 year part time program work out.

What is your experience like? How many hours per week on average do you devote to your studies? How many days per week are you on-campus? (I'd love to try and have only 1 or 2 days on campus per week if possible!)

Thanks!
Hello!

I'm currently studying a Masters in Social Anthropology part-time (2 years) at SOAS! I highly recommend doing a masters part-time if you can. I think it gives you more time to think about your career options, engage in the material and enjoy the overall experience of studying.

I'm going to break down how the module credit system works so that I can explain a bit better how many days you might need to be on campus.

To complete the degree you will need to complete 180 credits. 60 of those credits are for the dissertation which generally is due in the September of your final year. The remaining 120 credits are for taught modules which you will do throughout your degree. The majority of taught modules at SOAS are worth 15 credits. Generally 15 credit modules last for the duration of one semester (Semester 1 lasts from October to December whilst Semester 2 Lasts from January through to March).

For a 2 year degree, you could do 2 (15 credit) modules per semester (as you would have 4 semesters overall) and in the end they will add up to the required number of credits you need to complete your degree. In my experience doing this generally means that you are in 2 days a week. However Each module is made up of 1 lecture and 1 tutorial and you may find that the tutorial lands on a different day to the lecture. So you may need to be on campus for 3 days instead of two.

Something to keep in mind is that you'll need to set aside time to do the readings. I think if you set up those 2 days that you would be on campus as also reading days it creates a routine where you are in "uni mode" and it's a good way to manage your time and the work load. Another thing to think about is essays. The deadlines for them tend to be mid-semester and end of semester. If you are good at working on an essay over a long period of time and are not so much of a 'rush it out in a week or less' kind of student you mind find it a little easier, because it can get really stressful if you're not prepared. I have met several people on my course who have done the 2 year course with kids and a full-time or part time Job. From what I've heard they have found it a challenge but they really enjoyed it and found it manageable.

If you are looking to only be in 1 day a week max 2, then I think you should consider the 3 year programme. I think it might give you a lot more flexibility than the 2 year course. If you happen to get super busy outside of University, a 3 year degree would mean that you could do 1 module for that semester and then two 2 modules in a different semester and still be able to make up the credits without needing to do 3 modules in a semester.

I recommend you email The convener for the MA in Social Anthropology programme, They are very friendly and helpful. They might be able to guide you on what route would work for you, as they'll have a lot more experience talking to a variety of students who have done the 2 year and 3 year degree.

Also consider going to the Postgraduate open day, It hasn't been announced yet but its normally in November, so keep an eye out for that.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

- Monica (MA Social Anthropology SOAS)

Original post by earthsapien
I've been wanting to attend SOAS for postgraduate studies in anthropology but I have 2 kids and work full time.

I also worked full time in the last two years of my BA. It was difficult but not impossible to balance, though I didn't have children then! Luckily my current work schedule is quite flexible though.

I'm just really hopeful that I could make a 2 or 3 year part time program work out.

What is your experience like? How many hours per week on average do you devote to your studies? How many days per week are you on-campus? (I'd love to try and have only 1 or 2 days on campus per week if possible!)

Thanks!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending