The Student Room Group

How to write a personal statement for law with online work experience

I’ve been struggling to write my personal statement for law and the fact that I’ve only done online work experience does not help. I’ve watched some videos and looked at some examples but they’re all structured differently. Can someone who has already done this help me.
Law is an academic degree at undergraduate level. There’s no expectation that your PS should include work experience (and often PSs that are too focused on work experience are demonstrating a lack of understanding of what the degree involves).

Your PS should be 80-90% on academic topics and activities linked to law and legal aspects of current affairs. If you’re not sure what to write about try listening to law in action on bbc sounds and find some topics that you find interesting and then find out more about them and write about that interest.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Law is an academic degree at undergraduate level. There’s no expectation that your PS should include work experience (and often PSs that are too focused on work experience are demonstrating a lack of understanding of what the degree involves).

Your PS should be 80-90% on academic topics and activities linked to law and legal aspects of current affairs. If you’re not sure what to write about try listening to law in action on bbc sounds and find some topics that you find interesting and then find out more about them and write about that interest.

Sorry for my late reply, I totally forgot about this post but thank so muchhhh for answering and providing a good source. God bless.
Original post by Idk_1
I’ve been struggling to write my personal statement for law and the fact that I’ve only done online work experience does not help. I’ve watched some videos and looked at some examples but they’re all structured differently. Can someone who has already done this help me.

Hi @Idk_1

I wouldn't worry too much about having only done online work experience. Lots of people have done no work experience when they apply to do an undergrad degree and have no issue being accepted onto the course. What is most important is to get across that you have a passion for the subject and why you are interested in studying law. Of course, making sure to mention your work experience is a really good way to demonstrate this but it isn't the only way. I would also use the personal statement to add in experience that shows why you would be good at the subject. This doesn't have to be specific to legal experience but just needs to show transferrable skills. For example, do you study an A level that requires critical thinking or have you done advocacy in the form of debate or performed on stage in a theatre performance etc.? All of these are just examples but hopefully you get my gist.

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie
Reply 4
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Idk_1

I wouldn't worry too much about having only done online work experience. Lots of people have done no work experience when they apply to do an undergrad degree and have no issue being accepted onto the course. What is most important is to get across that you have a passion for the subject and why you are interested in studying law. Of course, making sure to mention your work experience is a really good way to demonstrate this but it isn't the only way. I would also use the personal statement to add in experience that shows why you would be good at the subject. This doesn't have to be specific to legal experience but just needs to show transferrable skills. For example, do you study an A level that requires critical thinking or have you done advocacy in the form of debate or performed on stage in a theatre performance etc.? All of these are just examples but hopefully you get my gist.

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie

Hi thank you for replying you really helped!! law
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending