The Student Room Group

My Personal Statement is Looking a Bit Bland

I haven't been able to write a really good personal statement because even though I have excellent grades, I'm unable to encapsulate in to words my passion for my chosen subject (Computer Science). Similarly, I lack any work experience or achievements relevant to my field.

There is two days left for the UCAS deadline and I feel like I will be rejected for an undercooked personal statement
Reply 1
Original post by SuperSaiyanLuffy
I haven't been able to write a really good personal statement because even though I have excellent grades, I'm unable to encapsulate in to words my passion for my chosen subject (Computer Science). Similarly, I lack any work experience or achievements relevant to my field.

There is two days left for the UCAS deadline and I feel like I will be rejected for an undercooked personal statement

Hey- I’m just editing mine atm. Don’t feel down. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just get it done. Use the ucas website to help you- they have a list of things to put on your statement. Hope that helps 🙂
(edited 2 months ago)

Hi @SuperSaiyanLuffy !

My advice would be to not worry too much about work experience and rather focus on why you have such an interest in computer science. It would also be great to talk about what you hope to get out of a computer science degree and your plan for your career.

I hope this helps!

Emily
Second Year Creative Writing Student
Reply 3

Hello,
i have applied for compsci and wrote my personal statement about my interests (nintendo wii and xbox), what i am currently learning in my IT class and how it intrigues me (for example accessibility and inclusivity with devices), a MOOC that i did, coding experiences and then generally talked about work experience and external hobbies linking it to compsci. i have recieved 4 offers.
Good luck!! Also what unis are u applying for?

Hi @SuperSaiyanLuffy

Sometimes you have so many ideas in your head but it can be difficult to get them down in writing; I completly understand how frustrating it can be.

When writing my personal statement I took the approach of writing it like a story. Like you, I did not have much experience so I had to work extra hard to make links between my subjects at school and the skills needed for the field I watched to go into.

Have a look at our guide too! You can find it here.

Good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Hi!

It's totally normal to feel that way about the personal statement.
I would definitely encourage you not to stress about not having experiences relevant to your field because what's important is that you show you are involved in school/academic life even from your extracurriculars or hobbies. So for example don't be afraid to put being a member of a club or going to a seminar of conference that may seem unrelated to your subject but in fact, this will be very helpful to show you want to learn and develop your various skills.
And also, think maybe how you would use this degree in the future.

All the best with the writing,
Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending