The Student Room Group

Have you ever declined an interview because there may be too many stages in the

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anony345533
I would think it's dodgy too so I won't be signing anything. Can I not just decline the offer or tell them I decline? I think it's dodgy based on the fact that the employer doesn't even come from London and to identify scam jobs they would say fully remote jobs and promise flexible hours (this is what Google and indeed tell me on how to identify scam jobs). It ticks that so I won't be signing anything.

You mentioned in post #7 that, "It won't stop me looking for remote roles." So you're looking for a remote role, yet you mistrust this role because it's remote.

You also said in post #5 that, "I want a job where I can have like one interview and then be hired". Isn't that what's just happened?

So this job is exactly what you said you were looking for. Yet you're asking "Can I not just decline the offer or tell them I decline?"

Are you sure you actually want a job? Or are you just determined to find fault with every opportunity?
I would think it's dodgy too so I won't be signing anything. Can I not just decline the offer of tell them I decline? I think it's dodgy based on the fact that the employer doesn't even come from London and to identify scam jobs they would say fully remote jobs and promise flexible hours (this is what Google and indeed tell me on how to identify scam jobs). It ticks that so I won't be signing anything.

Yeah nothing wrong with telling them you decline or no longer wish to pursue the vacancy. My go to for getting out of bad jobs was claiming I'd been offered a great preferential opportunity with a friend or families business.
Reply 22
Original post by DataVenia
You mentioned in post #7 that, "It won't stop me looking for remote roles." So you're looking for a remote role, yet you mistrust this role because it's remote.

You also said in post #5 that, "I want a job where I can have like one interview and then be hired". Isn't that what's just happened?

So this job is exactly what you said you were looking for. Yet you're asking "Can I not just decline the offer or tell them I decline?"

Are you sure you actually want a job? Or are you just determined to find fault with every opportunity?

If I think it's a scam I won't take it. Why should I take a job that I think is a scam? I don't want to be proved that it is a scam and find that they took all of my money. You also need to be able to trust them since they want to provide me with equipment and usually companies ask about whether you have a private space to work due to GDPR but he didn't.

I think it's best looking for apprenticeships even though they require me to travel outside. Like the ones on the government website are 100% legit.
If I think it's a scam I won't take it. Why should I take a job that I think is a scam? I don't want to be proved that it is a scam and find that they took all of my money. You also need to be able to trust them since they want to provide me with equipment and usually companies ask about whether you have a private space to work due to GDPR but he didn't.

I think it's best looking for apprenticeships even though they require me to travel outside. Like the ones on the government website are 100% legit.

Well, something to take into account is that if you aim for jobs that go 100% your way, remote working, no travel, no people etc, you weed out most legit employers and leave yourself wide open to the chancers that promise you the world.
Reply 24
Original post by StriderHort
Well, something to take into account is that if you aim for jobs that go 100% your way, remote working, no travel, no people etc, you weed out most legit employers and leave yourself wide open to the chancers that promise you the world.

Yeah I think I realised that now with one employer also being remote and not being from London also scamming me and me having to contact the fraud team when they didn't schedule an interview when I booked one and they took all my details, and this one I didn't give any details apart from CV which has barely any personal details but again they are not from London and they interviewed me despite me saying no and seemed eager to hire me with them interviewing one other person and it seemed weird that it was a phone interview.
Reply 25
Yeah nothing wrong with telling them you decline or no longer wish to pursue the vacancy. My go to for getting out of bad jobs was claiming I'd been offered a great preferential opportunity with a friend or families business.

How likely is the job to be a scam if they want to give me a 3 month probationary period? I also asked questions during the interview.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 26
Original post by DataVenia

How likely is the job to be a scam if they are offering me a 3 month probationary period?
Why don't you tell us what the company is and what you are supposed to be doing. I don't think the 3 month probationary period means anything one way or the other. It could be true or they could just be saying it to sound like they are legit.
Reply 28
Original post by JackSan123
Why don't you tell us what the company is and what you are supposed to be doing. I don't think the 3 month probationary period means anything one way or the other. It could be true or they could just be saying it to sound like they are legit.

The company is seabed survey services limited and I do basic tasks like data entry
Reply 29

They advertised this on Indeed
Benefits
Pulled from the full job description
Flexitime
```Duties:```
- Perform various administrative tasks such as data entry, filing, and organizing documents.
- Utilize computer software and systems to complete tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Provide clerical support to the office staff, including answering phones and responding to emails.
- Maintain office supplies and ensure inventory is stocked.
- Assist with scheduling appointments and managing calendars.
- Prepare reports, presentations, and other documents as needed.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information with professionalism and discretion.

```Experience:```
- Previous experience in an administrative or clerical role is preferred.
- Proficient in data entry and computer skills, including knowledge of QuickBooks, Google Suite, and other office software.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in all work performed.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Professional phone etiquette and customer service skills.

Please note that this is a general job description for a Business position. The specific duties and requirements may vary depending on the company and industry.

Job Types: Part-time, Permanent, Freelance
Part-time hours: 20 per week

Salary: £20,042.00-£24,821.00 per year

Benefits:

Flexitime
Schedule:

8 hour shift
Flexitime
No weekends
Supplemental pay types:

Bonus scheme
Commission pay
Performance bonus
Tips
Yearly bonus
Education:

A-Level or equivalent (preferred)
Experience:

Customer service: 1 year (preferred)
Administrative experience: 1 year (preferred)
Work authorisation:

United Kingdom (preferred)
Work Location: Remote
Reply 30

Usually on job descriptions it says about us and they write a bit about their company but this one doesn't say that. Another one that is remote doesn't say anything about the company and the phone number is their personal number which is switched off in the morning and it's not their company number. If they offer It I need to see if it's from a company email or personal email to determine whether it's genuine or not.
(edited 5 months ago)
"Please note that this is a general job description for a Business position. The specific duties and requirements may vary depending on the company and industry." - that sticks out a bit as if they've copy/pasted it from somewhere. I'd also be suspicious why they are offering to pay you more than £20 per hour for basic/entry level admin. apparently with bonus, performance bonus, commission (from selling what?) and even TIPS? It gives a very too good to be true/copy paste from another job vibe.
Yeah I think it all sounds very dodgy.
Maybe one of those ones where they pay you a pittance for 12 weeks and then don’t take you on regardless.
Reply 34
Yep I am saying no regardless
Reply 35
"Please note that this is a general job description for a Business position. The specific duties and requirements may vary depending on the company and industry." - that sticks out a bit as if they've copy/pasted it from somewhere. I'd also be suspicious why they are offering to pay you more than £20 per hour for basic/entry level admin. apparently with bonus, performance bonus, commission (from selling what?) and even TIPS? It gives a very too good to be true/copy paste from another job vibe.

£14,000 part time apparently and £20,000 to £22,000 for full time and for a business administration trainee. For trainee positions do you even get paid?
Reply 36
How likely is the job to be a scam if they are offering me a 3 month probationary period?

I had a probationary period with a new job working for the Ministry of Defence, and that wasn't a scam! It's quite legit to do this.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 37
Usually on job descriptions it says about us and they write a bit about their company but this one doesn't say that. Another one that is remote doesn't say anything about the company and the phone number is their personal number which is switched off in the morning and it's not their company number. If they offer It I need to see if it's from a company email or personal email to determine whether it's genuine or not.

Maybe you should start checking out potential employers through Companies House; Seabed Survey Services is interesting reading...😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending