The Student Room Group

BBC Journalism L7 apprenticeship 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by izzy.riley

I've not started yet, trying to do as much research as possible beforehand so I'm not caught off guard by any of the questions. Have you done it yet? If it's anything like last year I'm expecting to get asked to review a social media post, how to get younger audiences engaged and to pitch an article/post/tiktok/podcast etc.

thank you so much for the latter advice though i would not have thought to prepare for questions like those
Sorry I meant to reply to this! That advice is great thanks Izzy. Struggling slightly with what type of article I would pitch so haven't done mine yet.
Review a social media post - would that be evaluate one of their posts? Sorry 🙈🤣
Original post by free-pxlestine
i haven’t started it yet no and i’ve also never done it before, did you do it last year then? yeah i really want to prepare but i’m just not too sure how i guess

yeah I got rejected after this stage last year so I'm hoping having an inkling of what they might ask might help, but since my answers weren't successful last time I'm unsure of how to proceed or improve on them. I'm also struggling to come up with a pitch that will set me apart from the hundreds of others applying.

I would familiarize yourself with one of their social media accounts and make notes on what you think works well and what you would change, how to get more engagement from younger generations and some story ideas. Here's some BBC guides you can use to guide your planning:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200417-bbc-worklife-author-brief
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20160106-bbc-travel-author-brief

If I were you I'd also study mission, values and public purpose and make sure you know them inside and out, making reference to them and how you exhibit these values when answering the likely "Why the BBC?". https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/governance/mission

I'd do the same with the job description, make sure you show you know every detail of the scheme and why it would be the best fit for you, not just why you'd be the best candidate.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by ibeingsarah
Review a social media post - would that be evaluate one of their posts? Sorry 🙈🤣

I think it was something along the lines of give an example of a social media post you think works and why and one you don't think works and why. I'm absolutely terrible at social media so I'm dreading this question again. I know it was my weakest answer in the whole interview
This is really helpful thanks so much! Best of luck!
Reply 26
Original post by izzy.riley
yeah I got rejected after this stage last year so I'm hoping having an inkling of what they might ask might help, but since my answers weren't successful last time I'm unsure of how to proceed or improve on them. I'm also struggling to come up with a pitch that will set me apart from the hundreds of others applying.

I would familiarize yourself with one of their social media accounts and make notes on what you think works well and what you would change, how to get more engagement from younger generations and some story ideas. Here's some BBC guides you can use to guide your planning:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200417-bbc-worklife-author-brief
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20160106-bbc-travel-author-brief

If I were you I'd also study mission, values and public purpose and make sure you know them inside and out, making reference to them and how you exhibit these values when answering the likely "Why the BBC?". https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/governance/mission

I'd do the same with the job description, make sure you show you know every detail of the scheme and why it would be the best fit for you, not just why you'd be the best candidate.

I haven't started it yet either - I'm a bit confused about what to expect. The email says there are no time constraints on written responses, and timed responses can be re-recorded as many times as you like. So... can we just take our time with it?
Reply 27
Hey! I've applied for the Brighton/ Guilford based apprentership- does anyone know what the split would be like between the 2 offices?
Reply 28
hey, has anyone filmed their round 3 interviews yet? 😊
Reply 29
Original post by l_124
hey, has anyone filmed their round 3 interviews yet? 😊

Not yet...hoping to do it tomorrow! Super nervous!
How long did it take you guys to complete it?
Original post by l_124
Honestly, it took me ages… just over an hour I think… 😂

last year they asked to review a social media account, did they ask that this time ?
Reply 32
Any one else just get an email saying they've extended the deadline to Sunday??
Original post by hgiyf
Any one else just get an email saying they've extended the deadline to Sunday??

Yes I got it will you still complete yours today I'm so scared of it closing I almost don't believe it hahah
Reply 34
Lmaooo same I have to triple check that it was actually sent from them 🤣 I've got the last 2 written questions left, so I think I'm gonna spend some extra time planning them out.
But do u reckon they can see how long we take on each question?? I don't want to look unserious by spreading my answers over a few days?? 🤔
Original post by hgiyf
Lmaooo same I have to triple check that it was actually sent from them 🤣 I've got the last 2 written questions left, so I think I'm gonna spend some extra time planning them out.
But do u reckon they can see how long we take on each question?? I don't want to look unserious by spreading my answers over a few days?? 🤔

I think the original email said that time isn't recorded on producing written answers. I didn't realise you could do it in more than one sitting! And can you see all the questions all at once at the beginning?
From the original email - You will have up to 10 minutes for each question to prepare your response, and then for video questions, given 1min 30secs to record your response. For written questions, you’ll have no time constraints, but are limited by 2,500 characters. You can re-record your response as many times as you like, but we do encourage you to not re-record too many times as we are looking for your potential and how you respond naturally to the question.
Reply 37
I think the original email said that time isn't recorded on producing written answers. I didn't realise you could do it in more than one sitting! And can you see all the questions all at once at the beginning?

Hey, no you can only see one question at a time & you can’t move on to the next question until you’ve submitted the question you’re working on
Reply 38
From the original email - You will have up to 10 minutes for each question to prepare your response, and then for video questions, given 1min 30secs to record your response. For written questions, you’ll have no time constraints, but are limited by 2,500 characters. You can re-record your response as many times as you like, but we do encourage you to not re-record too many times as we are looking for your potential and how you respond naturally to the question.

Ah, I interpreted the 'no time restraints' bit as it can be done in more than one sitting?
I had to do the video question timed but I can exit and resume when doing the written questions one-by-one, so I've been taking my time with planning.
Really hope I don't somehow get penalized for that lol, but I've done it before with another grad scheme application and it was all okay?
Reply 39
Original post by hgiyf

I’m not sure if they can see how long you take to answer all the questions - it took me ages to complete, so I hope not😂 but I do reckon they can see what time each answer was submitted because I read somewhere that they want to see what you can come up with in the moment, if that makes sense? Like how an in person interview/assessment day works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending