The Student Room Group

Can I defer?

I recently applied for Uni and I've received offers back. I applied through UCAS and I put my start date as 2024 however, I'm now thinking of taking a gap year so I'd start in 2025 instead. Does anyone know if I'm able to defer my offers and if so how? I haven't accepted any of them yet so hoping I still have time
Hiya @MWorldwide19

You have up until your start date to defer, however, it is up to your university to accept your deferral. As you have been offered a place for 2024, this will be considered a late deferral you may be asked to reapply. Make sure this is what you want to do because if you defer at this point it is a final decision.

If you chose to defer, the earlier you speak to your university the more likely they are to accept your deferral and you are less likely to lose your place.

If you have any questions about your deferral decision you can also ring UCAS.

I hope this helps!

Katie - Third year Psychology student
Reply 2
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hiya @MWorldwide19

You have up until your start date to defer, however, it is up to your university to accept your deferral. As you have been offered a place for 2024, this will be considered a late deferral you may be asked to reapply. Make sure this is what you want to do because if you defer at this point it is a final decision.

If you chose to defer, the earlier you speak to your university the more likely they are to accept your deferral and you are less likely to lose your place.

If you have any questions about your deferral decision you can also ring UCAS.

I hope this helps!

Katie - Third year Psychology student

That really helps, thank you. Would I need to ring all 5 Unis or just my firm and insurance choice (which I haven't decided yet)
Original post by MWorldwide19
That really helps, thank you. Would I need to ring all 5 Unis or just my firm and insurance choice (which I haven't decided yet)

You shouldn’t be picking your firm and insurance any time soon, so it just depends on whether you’re certain that you want to defer.

If you’re certain, the sooner you ask, the more likely they’ll be able to accommodate the change. Depending on their policy they may say no, but at least you’ll know where you stand.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One

You shouldn’t be picking your firm and insurance any time soon, so it just depends on whether you’re certain that you want to defer.

If you’re certain, the sooner you ask, the more likely they’ll be able to accommodate the change. Depending on their policy they may say no, but at least you’ll know where you stand.

Okie dokie, this really helps. Thank you!
Reply 5
Just email each Uni and ask - its usually very straightforward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending